Hi guys,

I had a version of Dream Theater's Octavarium that a mate gave me awhile ago, it was a bit over 5 minutes long instead of being 20 minutes, and the song was pretty much completely different anyway. I deleted it when I got the Octavarium album because I thought it would be on it, but it wasn't. I'm quite keen to get it back cause I liked it.

Does anyone know where this version might be from? I checked the Greatest Hit album but it's not on there. Any help is appreciated.
Dream Theater thread.

But, Octvarium is usually a 24 minute song, so the version you heard was properly a must shrunken edited version of that same song.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
No, you guys don't get it, this version was only Octavarium in name, but the music in the song was completely different from the 24 minute version, the riffs were all different and the vocals were different. It honestly seems like a completely different song, and I'm not even sure it's supposed to be called ovtavarium. It's also not a live version, it's a studio recording, and I'm pretty sure it's not a medley cause I don't recognise the riffs and vocals from anywhere else.

The album art had a cover that was separated into three vertical stripes, and from left to right inside each one there was a child, a grown man, and an old man, each with a different background.

And btw, I'm looking through the DT thread and I'm not finding anything.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
IIRC, it's a mislabelled MP3 that spread over the internet before the album was released.

Do you know where I could find it? It sounds like it's by Dream Theater and it's actually a really good song imo.
I just downloaded the album, and I think its a demo tape version.
Quote by angusfan16
Is it safe to thrust sticks up your butt and walk around screaming, "THE STICKMAN COMETH!"?

LOL, PWND by fileshares.

That's why you buy the albums.

Oh, by the way, did you love that "CRUCIFYYYYYYYYY" in The Root of All Evil?

EDIT:

Guys, you got owned. It's James LaBrie's (DT vocalist) solo album, Elements of Persuasion.

What did we learn? Buy the albums to avoid looking stupid.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Its mislabeled. Its actually the song "drained" from james labries solo album "elements of persuasion"

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Quote by bass 4 life
I just downloaded the album, and I think its a demo tape version.

Could be. You don't have a copy of the song do you?
Quote by blue_bogan
Its mislabeled. Its actually the song "drained" from james labries solo album "elements of persuasion"

This. I read about it on Wikipedia. You should have, too.
Quote by blue_bogan

Really?? Cheers man, thank you so much (assuming you're correct).
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Really?? Cheers man, thank you so much (assuming you're correct).

Im always correct.

<<
>>

lol

But seriously, im like 90% sure im right, cus i happened to my mate, cus he was showing me all his music, and i notied his octavairum only went for like 5:30 and when i listened to it it was that song. Its got lyrics about through a door half open, a painted lightbulb swings?

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
I am so confused. I have a 23 minute song by Dt called "A Change of Seasons" and a 5 minute song called "Octavarium". So mine are wrong?

EDIT: Oh, I see. Elements of Persuasion.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by Abunai X
I am so confused. I have a 23 minute song by Dt called "A Change of Seasons" and a 5 minute song called "Octavarium". So mine are wrong?

EDIT: Oh, I see. Elements of Persuasion.

A Change of Seasons is about that long, but Octavarium is 24 minutes long exactly.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Yeah my friend had this song after me telling him to get Octavarium, and I listened to it on his iPod and I was laughing and saying "THIS ISN'T OCTAVARIUM!" haha.

Yeah, like others have said, the song isn't Octavarium at all. Not a demo, not a shortened version, it's a completely different song. I'll believe whoever said it was a song from LaBrie's solo stuff.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.