Hey guys. I have an Epi LP Custom and an Epi SG G-310. Suprisingly enough, the SG is a really solid guitar and I use it for dropping down a step when playing stuff like Death.
But I don't really know much about strings, I buy 10-49's (I Think that's it) for standard playing. Obviously, when I'm tuning down a step on the SG I run into fret buzz, innotation and tension issues.

TL;DR, What is the right string gauge (Or one you recommend) for tuning down a step?
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
I use 12s for that kinda tunings.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
I used to play in drop C with 10s. I personally think that it's a matter of setup and touch. Generally people seem to like thicker strings for lower tunings and stuff, but I play with .008s in standard tuning. My buddy can't play my guitar without fretting out, buzzing and wiggling the strings to ****, but I love it. Again, a matter of touch and taste.
no
i perfer 10's when i'm playing a step but anything lower i perfer 12's.

they are usually dunlops on the ibanez's and DR's On jacksons.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
I use 10-52s personally
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
For me, I use 11-49 or 11-50 depending on which string brand I buy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
11s for D. I use 9 - 46s on my Hellraiser for Standard, and the guitar is a 25.5in scale neck, but i'd use 10 - 52 in 24.75in scale necks, so maybe an 11 - 54 for going down to D? If you use 10 - 46 or 49 for standard, then maybe a stock 11 - 52 string gauge will work well for you.