well i was woundering if i could paint my jackson sl3 transparent purple. my sl3 is the natural finish so is it possible to do that? id get it done professionally but i want to know if there will be any things in the way thatl make it cost more.
FOR SALE: MESA BOOGIE STUDIO PREAMP
Ship Worldwide, Message me for details.
Dude.
When I read PAINTING flame maple, I freaked out.
Never paint it.
Stain it or dye it for sure (I know that's what you meant)

To get it done professionally is fine, there isn't anything in the way of doing that. It'll just cost a lot more than doing it yourself.
ok thanks so much Duval67 and Øttər. oh and yeh i did mean staining it hahasorry for that.
No worries dude, this is what the GB&C is for.

Staining is a very simple process. You just soak a rag with stain, wring it out a bit, and rub it on.

After the stain dries, you can do and oil or lacquer finish, or whatever you want. I do recommend a finsish of some sort though, for protection.

If you want a nice, glossy, showroom look, just buy some clear gloss lacquer, apply it, sand it to a high grit and polish it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər

Staining is a very simple process. You just soak a rag with stain, wring it out a bit, and rub it on.

After the stain dries, you can do and oil or lacquer finish, or whatever you want. I do recommend a finsish of some sort though, for protection.

If you want a nice, glossy, showroom look, just buy some clear gloss lacquer, apply it, sand it to a high grit and polish it.

ok thanks for that, i think i mite try and stain it my self, it dosent seem to hard and itl be much more cost affective haha
Quote by nathan549
ok thanks for that, i think i mite try and stain it my self, it dosent seem to hard and itl be much more cost affective haha

Yeah, staining yourself is a much better idea. Getting done professionally is ridiculously expensive.
And Otter outlined it really well up there. It's really simple. Just take your time, and sand between coats.
Quote by Øttər

Can you really do an oil finish after staining? It seems to make sense, but I'm under the impression it shouldn't be done...not sure why...
Have you actually done it yourself? This came up in a recent thread, and it never got totally resolved, just wondering...
my guitar has like a clear lacquer coat on it, i have to sand it right off before sanding ay?
Quote by nathan549
ok thanks so much Duval67 and Øttər. oh and yeh i did mean staining it hahasorry for that.

Oh thank God! I saw painting flamed maple and got very sad thinking about it.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by nathan549
my guitar has like a clear lacquer coat on it, i have to sand it right off before sanding ay?

Yes, sand all the way down to pure wood. You need to get down through the lacquer and sanding sealer, otherwise the stain will kind of sit on top and do nothing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
How thick is the flame maple cap on the Jackson?

I'm thinking its probably pretty thin or even a veneer, which means you will have to be VERY careful when sanding off the existing finish to not go straight through the flame maple top. Also the top may be so chock full of sealer and clear lacquer that the stain might not even take to it, even after you have taken the actual clear coat off.

If you want to do this using a purple tinted lacquer may be the better way to go about it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
How thick is the flame maple cap on the Jackson?

I'm thinking its probably pretty thin or even a veneer, which means you will have to be VERY careful when sanding off the existing finish to not go straight through the flame maple top. Also the top may be so chock full of sealer and clear lacquer that the stain might not even take to it, even after you have taken the actual clear coat off.

If you want to do this using a purple tinted lacquer may be the better way to go about it.

What I was thinking all the way down the thread!

My advice would be.

Remove a pickup and see if you can determine the thickness of the flamed maple cap.

If it even is real Maple and not a transfer of some variety.

EDIT: This one? "Jackson Pro-Series SL3 Soloist".

It is a Veneer I'm afraid. Veneers are typically 0.7mm to 1.5mm (28-60 Thousandths of an inch!)

So yes. As stated previously, use tinted lacquer. If you use decent Auto Lacquer, you can tint it yourself to the colour you want (House of Kolor UC35 of UFC35, tint with KK Concentrate the right colour, requires Spray Gun application).

Sand the current clear coat to about P400 Grit wet, use a tack cloth to get dust off, then wipe with panel wipe, then start your Tint application.