Which is better? I mean by better, I mean would putting a pickup on a regular acoustic sound better than an acoustic-electric with an amp system?

I'm considering buying an acoustic-electric. But, obviously, I want to make the better decision. Also, I think I saw here that cutaways are usually made on A/E guitars...and I plan on buying a guitar with a Florentine cutaway...or whatever looks good that has a cutaway haha.

So...thread stylez...what do you think sounds better?
AWWWW YEAHHHH. DEEP SKY BLUE.
An unanswerable question. For the acoustic sound it doesn't matter much whether there is a cutaway or not. Whether or not an aftermarket pick up system is better than an o.e. depends on the initial price of the guitar. If you buy a cheaper one, original factory mounted electronics generally cost a little extra, but not as much as having a luithier fit an aftermarket system. More expensive electric/acoustic guitars generally have more sophisticated electronics, but then buying an acoustic only and have the pu/eq fitted later is also a sensible alternative. (the price of the modification is as high as on a cheaper guitar, but makes out a smaller percentage of the value of the instrument)

You'd be hard pressed to find an acoustic only cutaway though. Most run of the mill guitars have the electrics standard on their cutaways (or the cutaway standard on their electro acoustics, depending on how you look at it)

Question is then; what did you have in mind? Prize range? Make/model?
kind of an odd question, but yes i doubt youd find an acoustic-only with a cutaway so i think you should just get urself an a/e, there are different pickup systems for different guitars. you could get one with the pickup under the bridge or one with a coil pickup mounted right on the end of the finger board.
i don't see why you would want to mount it urself anyways, unless your into that king of stuff ( :
[quote="'[DookieShoes"]']but yes i doubt youd find an acoustic-only with a cutaway

quite interesting... true indeed
They really are very, very, very rare. Part of it, I believe, is because a pure acoustic needs the full body to project better, whereas an A/E is designed to be plugged in, and hence does not need to project as well. This is why most of the time when you see a thin body acoustic it is A/E: It won't have enough unplugged sound to be pure acoustic, so throw in electronics and BAM! You have a comfortable gig guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by DookieShoes
but yes i doubt youd find an acoustic-only with a cutaway

and such a shame too

Anyway, for the initial problem, i have always been a firm believer in that you should only buy electric acoustics if you plan to do live gigs.

I viewpoint that only became apparent to me after i bought an electric acoustic. (I don't play live)
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by baylewis
Anyway, for the initial problem, i have always been a firm believer in that you should only buy electric acoustics if you plan to do live gigs.

Very true indeed. If you don't use it, don't buy it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.