Page 1 of 3
Im looking for a good book to read. The last book I read was A Clockwork Orange and I really enjoyed it. I also enjoy classic novels.
Flowers for Algernon!

edit: it's about a mentally handicapped man who undergoes some sort of treatment and he eventually becomes incredibly intelligent. It's all told from his perspective, like a journal. It's really interesting
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (R.I.P.) but i think there is like 14 or 15 books in all. Great read though.
Sail upon the open skies
I had to read The Kite Runner for school and was pleasantly surprised by how not ****ty it was. A Thousand Splendid Suns is better so far though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Genesis, Matthew, Isaiah (from the Bible)

Oedipus the King
Holes
Jane Eyre
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Robert R. McCammon's Swan Song is amazing.
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy,

anything by Neil Gaiman

Snow crash
Quote by iantheman
I went to school stoned twice. the first time was a lot of fun, but the second time we had a guest speaker from the women's resource center come in, and talk about rape. I couldn't contain my laughter. Never again.
animal farm

and the dirt by motley crue just for kicks

but seriously ****in read animal fram if you havent!
House of leaves
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Afterwards I said to her "Why did you blitz my asshole like that?"

twilight for sure
Quote by St.Loony
Girls are complicated - Just turn gay and don't bother.

Quote by MightyAl
OK, so now, for Christmas, I'd like the ability to have an erection again.

Quote by smartguyreviews
one time i got up in the middle of the night to take a shit... and the toilet seat was warm....
Quote by in2thesun88
Johnny Got His Gun. If you've ever heard and liked the song One by Metallica then you need to read this book since it is what that song was based on.

they actually got the idea from the movie
go ask alice its about a girl who does drugs, sad, but great book

the adventures of tom sawyer by mark twain great book

the new adventures of the mad scientists club short stories pretty good book
read some chuck palahniuk (author of fight club and choke)
he has a pretty twisted sense of humor and i love his books.
invisible monsters is one of my favorites. Its extremely confusing at first but once you get past that stage and it all unravels it's mindblowing
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Dante's Inferno
Iliad
Odyssey
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It was amazing... almost like Vonnegut meets Forrest Gump...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
catcher in the rye...
'tis a nice book
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
Quote by angusfan16
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (R.I.P.) but i think there is like 14 or 15 books in all. Great read though.

OMFG, finally, somone else on this site who loves them!

There are 12, I think. He died writing the 12th one, and his familya re going to finish it for him. It's supposed to be at least 1500 pages long, but Jordan said he wanted there to be only 12 books, even if it meant the publishers had to find a way to do a 1500 page book for the last one.

Seriously, TS, if you want complex books that make you think, go for Wheel of Time. Best books I have ever read, and that's saying a lot.
XIAOXI
Quote by geetar_man0
they actually got the idea from the movie

I heard that James, I think, read the book and wrote the song. They just used the movie as part of the music video.
Quote by Abunai X
OMFG, finally, somone else on this site who loves them!

There are 12, I think. He died writing the 12th one, and his familya re going to finish it for him. It's supposed to be at least 1500 pages long, but Jordan said he wanted there to be only 12 books, even if it meant the publishers had to find a way to do a 1500 page book for the last one.

Seriously, TS, if you want complex books that make you think, go for Wheel of Time. Best books I have ever read, and that's saying a lot.

Yeah i was thinking 12 but wasn't sure. Man i can barely wait for the last one. Too bad he died.
Sail upon the open skies
atlas shrugged - ayn rand
scar tissue - anthony kiedis
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by in2thesun88
I heard that James, I think, read the book and wrote the song. They just used the movie as part of the music video.

aww yeah wait
it was creeping death that they watched the movie
Flowers For Algernon was really good, I read the book and saw the movie lol.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Quote by killer puppy
damn you...

Sorry this was the perfect set up. i had to. Forgive me?
Quote by St.Loony
Girls are complicated - Just turn gay and don't bother.

Quote by MightyAl
OK, so now, for Christmas, I'd like the ability to have an erection again.

Quote by smartguyreviews
one time i got up in the middle of the night to take a shit... and the toilet seat was warm....
Probably already mentioned but Slash's autobiography and The Heroin Diares by Nikki Sixx. The Heroin Diares is some ****in' depressing ****. Jarhead is good too.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by carbonchemicals
House of leaves

I didn't really like the first part of the book. I mean, yeah I liked it, but it wasn't anything special to me. Then when it got into the last generation, it was amazing.

I recommend "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, and "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind.

Review of The Road:
Violence, in McCarthy's postapocalyptic tour de force, has been visited worldwide in the form of a "long shear of light and then a series of low concussions" that leaves cities and forests burned, birds and fish dead and the earth shrouded in gray clouds of ash. In this landscape, an unnamed man and his young son journey down a road to get to the sea. (The man's wife, who gave birth to the boy after calamity struck, has killed herself.) They carry blankets and scavenged food in a shopping cart, and the man is armed with a revolver loaded with his last two bullets. Beyond the ever-present possibility of starvation lies the threat of roving bands of cannibalistic thugs. The man assures the boy that the two of them are "good guys," but from the way his father treats other stray survivors the boy sees that his father has turned into an amoral survivalist, tenuously attached to the morality of the past by his fierce love for his son. McCarthy establishes himself here as the closest thing in American literature to an Old Testament prophet, trolling the blackest registers of human emotion to create a haunting and grim novel about civilization's slow death after the power goes out.

Seriously, it's one of the best books I ever read. I read it in one day.

"The Shadow Of The Wind by "Carlos Ruiz Zafon" is another amazing one:
"Barcelona, 1945—A great world city lies shrouded in secrets after the war, and a boy mourning the loss of his mother finds solace in his love for an extraordinary book called The Shadow of the Wind, by an author named Julian Carax. When the boy searches for Carax’s other books, it begins to dawn on him, to his horror, that someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book the man has ever written. Soon the boy realizes that The Shadow of the Wind is as dangerous to own as it is impossible to forget, for the mystery of its author’s identity holds the key to an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love that someone will go to any lengths to keep secret."

Probably the best book I ever read. It has something. I can say that I fell in love with it. Thinking about it makes me feel good. I never felt so attached to a book like with The Shadow Of The Wind.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Nov 30, 2008,
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Don't let the length fool you, its a really dense novel, but a classic. The movie Apocalypse Now was roughly based on it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I second The Road and anything by Cormac McCarthy for that matter.

You should definitely read some Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle.. they're all good.
Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
Fight Club

/end thread
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
The Hobbit!

Believe it or not I Am Legend is a great novel. It's WAY better than the movie.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Anything by Jack Keuorac or William Burroughs.

Fun fact about Burroughs: I've been to two parties that his old roommate has thrown here in Lawrence, crazy stuff. Good acid.
Page 1 of 3