Hey guys I am looking to upgrade my line 6 spider 3 15w (i know) to a better amp. I play mainly metal and I just need a home practice amp so no need to gig. Which one of these amps is more bang for my buck?

I mainly plug in headphones to play also.
Last edited by dNWaKE at Nov 30, 2008,
Uh, try both of em at your local shop, and see which you prefer . Because you'll get opinions about what WE like, and not you :O
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
They're both good for what you want, but if you only use headphones then something like a pod or some type of computer interface might be more useful to you. Just throwin it out there, between those two amps and a pod you can't go wrong for a nice little practice rig.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I don't really have time to go check them out because I have school and when I get out of work, the local guitar shops are usually closed around here so I can only squeeze in some guitar playing at night time with headphones on. I just want a general idea of which one is more suitable for me.

and ^, I am not sure what you mean by a pod. I'm a noob when it comes to amps and such. So are you saying that I should buy an amp + a pod? How much does a decent pod go for?
If I got the roland 30x and I wanted to switch between Clean and Distorted in the middle of a song, what I need specifically? I know a footswitch works but I am not sure which one to get.

I currently own a Boss DS-1 but will that be sufficient to give me a nice metallica/megadeth tone when I use it on the clean setting of the Roland 30x?
I don't know if they make a footswitch for it. The DS1 would be terrible for metallica or megadeth or really anything but grunge.
None, use the amps overdrive, will probably sound better than any pedal.
How would i switch between clean and distorted then for a song like One?

also, if i use my esp ltd m50 on the roland 30x, will it sound horrible?
Get a foot switch to change channels.

And no, the guitar doesn't play as big of a role in your tone as the amp.
Would any footswitch work for the roland 30x? which do you recommend thats fairly inexpensive?
I've no idea, you'll have to do some research.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I don't know if they make a footswitch for it.

I think the Boss FS-5U and FS-6 are compatible with the Cube 30X (since Roland and Boss are connected companies). They cost roughly $30. I've seen one by some dude called Voodoo Man that costs $25, but it may be a risk buying it from someone who's not connected to the Roland company, since it may not work.

For the Peavey vs. Roland, I have not tried this Cube, but I don't think Vypyrs are that great. It always sounded very buzzy to me, and I went from very quiet (almost inaudible) at volume 2, to overbearingly loud on volume 3.
Saint Louis Blues
They probably are, if you're truly concerned shoot roland an email.
It says that they are compatible on the roland website. You'll have to do some digging around though.