I'm looking at upgrading my bass, and an amp as well. I've currently got an Epiphone Explorer, and a peavey 20w practice amp.

First off, the bass will be for metal, rock, blues, funk, and prog. I would prefer a 5 string, or maybe even a 6 string. I don't want to spend more than maybe $600 USD for the bass.

For the amp: I want something able to play small gigs (think coffee shop size), and mainly just hold its own with another guitar, a drummer, and a singer. I don't really want to spend more than $250 on an amp.

James
I have a Fender Squire MB 5. It's a 5 string and I love the sound of it. As far as an amp goes, I have a Behringer BXL 3000. It's a 15" speaker with a 300 watt head combo. It's right around 300 dollars but if you go to American Music Supply online they allow you to make payments if coming up with a big chunk of change is an issue. Hope that helps!
For the bass, I reccomend the Schecter Stiletto Custom V. I got mine for about $550, but they usually run for around $570; its in your price range either way. As for the amp, I've got an ibanez sw100 that has served me very well, but thats a bit out of your price range. For that budget, I've heard great things about acoustic amps, so take a look at those.

EDIT: Dont get seduced by the supposedly higher wattages of beringher; they rate peak wattage, not rms, plus they are notoriously unreliable and have the tonal quality of a giant iPod headphone.
Last edited by Copius at Nov 30, 2008,
I got a chance to play the Schector at Guitar Center the other day, the action is real nice. That may just be what I end up getting.
Quote by Smartass
I got a chance to play the Schector at Guitar Center the other day, the action is real nice. That may just be what I end up getting.

It really is a great bass. A few words of warning though: its made of very soft wood, so you've gotta be careful with it. My friend dropped his 6- string schecter onto the carpet in his house, and the wood split right where you put the battery. His bass is now held together with gorilla glue.
LOL, that's pretty hard core.

Does anyone have anything to say about ESP basses? I've seen a few really nice ones, but never had the chance to play one. They're right in my price range too, and the style is beautiful.
In your price range...? Are you sure it's an ESP and not an LTD? (LTD is like ESP's budget brand)
Either way, I've heard good things about most of them except the ones with passive EMG pickups.

What sort of tone are you after?

For the amp, I think the Acoustic B100 might be your friend, or the AB50 if you want something smaller and cheaper.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 1, 2008,
I say get a Fender Jazz. Its pretty Versatile and sounds great.
www.myspace.com/thepressmen
Check it out! If you do listen, ignore the bass playing on the songs. I recorded them when i was alot worse then i am now.

Quote by isildurs_bane
This is the pit. People will fight to the death about their favorite colour.
spend 350 on the amp, get an acoustic B200 combo.

then, buy a nice 500 below bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
But he just wants a coffeeshop amp...?

He's right, though, TS. If you want to play a metal or rock gig you'll need more than $250 for an amp. With basses, there's a very, very poor correlation between price and tone, so dropping the price some really won't hurt that much at all. Most cheaper basses will sound just fine, so all you really have to do is find one that feels good.

Now that I think about it, Traben makes excellent fivers in that range, and they're 35" scale. (good for a fiver)

Also, if you care to go through rondomusic.com, they have some wicked fivers and sixers for a lot less money than you'd spend elsewhere.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Mutant Corn
But he just wants a coffeeshop amp...?

He's right, though, TS. If you want to play a metal or rock gig you'll need more than $250 for an amp. With basses, there's a very, very poor correlation between price and tone, so dropping the price some really won't hurt that much at all. Most cheaper basses will sound just fine, so all you really have to do is find one that feels good.

if there is a drummer at all, ever, he wants the full 200.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

yeah if you got atleast that much try to get a hold of a schecter. play some and find out which one, theres alot of good and bad in ones i like and done like so i wont exactly name any.
and go with a peavey amp. not to expensive but for what your asking for itll give you what you need
Quote by the humanity
if there is a drummer at all, ever, he wants the full 200.

Depends on the room. I used a 40W 112 combo for my first two years of live playing, and it was perfectly fine because I was playing in churches.
Nope, no sig here.
Alright, I'll spend a bit more on the amp then. I've been wanting to replace mine anyway, but now that the cab blew out just from turning the volume past 6, I know I need a better one...

As for the bass, I think I'm gonna go with the schector as it's not too expensive, and it was real nice to play.
get a Rogue bass. you can never go wrong with a Rogue. Peavey amps'll also last you quite a while. Consider a Microbass amp. That's what I got.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Fender American P-Bass- classic. Straight forward sound, very versatile. I would definitely purchase one if I had the $$

500=/=American Fender.

in fact, 650 =/= American Fender

look at Ibanez, Schecter, and MIM Fender
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
500=/=American Fender.

in fact, 650 =/= American Fender

Presicion Bass=/=Very Versatile

look at Ibanez, Schecter, and MIM Fender

Fixed (:
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Well, I'm not set on it. I just want a list of options to try out at different stores, then see what I like best.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Oh don't start that up....a p-bass is plenty versatile.

Naw dont get me wrong, I love P basses and their tone. But they really aren't what he seemed to be making them out to be.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Smartass
LOL, that's pretty hard core.

Does anyone have anything to say about ESP basses? I've seen a few really nice ones, but never had the chance to play one. They're right in my price range too, and the style is beautiful.

I got the LTD B-55 and it is amazing for the price
and well below your price range so you can spend more on your amp which has more impact on your tone anyway
Quote by TANKER69
I got the LTD B-55 and it is amazing for the price
and well below your price range so you can spend more on your amp which has more impact on your tone anyway

no its not.

it isn't a very versatile tone at all.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
no its not.

it isn't a very versatile tone at all.

while it isnt very versatile tonally it sounds good for what i play plus its built like a tank, i have had it for a nice while now and theres not even a noticeable scratch or dent on it
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
while it isnt very versatile tonally it sounds good for what i play plus its built like a tank, i have had it for a nice while now and theres not even a noticeable scratch or dent on it

exactly. TS will never play exactly what you do.

I will use broken cables to sound like a cheap muddy overdrive for when I play straight root notes, I never tell anyone to stick a cheap cord in the dryer.

I will admit, that guitar is pretty tough, if ugly.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Don't stress guys, its all good. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I'm gonna swing over to GC sometime this week and test a few things out.
Quote by Smartass
Don't stress guys, its all good. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I'm gonna swing over to GC sometime this week and test a few things out.

oh it's fine, we do this all day. we enjoy arguing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard