So for my "Music for Elementary Teachers" (for non music majors) class, I have to teach a lesson plan as if I were a music teacher. I decided to throw some guitar in there, since I sing like a dying cat. My problem is, when it comes to music theory, I'm an idiot. I need a recognizable children's song I can play on guitar that only has 3-4 notes (I'm using do, re, mi, and fa, if that helps). Any suggestions are extreeeemely appreciated. Thanks!
Talk about how you can use secondary dominant chords and use a substitution of it by adding a tritone to it's root so you can get 2 kind of phrasings and even a modulation to another scale.

edit : also, you could talk about how you could modulate using a parrallel minor scale and then use that trick to be able to use other chords that weren't in the scale/modulate.

Don't forget about modes, and also intervals.
Last edited by kevC4 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by kevC4
Talk about how you can use secondary dominant chords and use a substitution of it by adding a tritone to it's root so you can get 2 kind of phrasings and even a modulation to another scale.

/thread

But seriously, maybe something like Mary Had a Little Lamb?
I should be more specific, I have to teach rhythm/pitch by using a song. Mary had a little lamb, for example, was a good idea. Though the g-strings and minors might get my license revoked...
"...even a modulation to another scale."

I think you need to explain that to me. I can modulate to different keys, since that's the definition of modulation, but to modulate to another scale is something I can't say I've ever heard of.

"...how you could modulate using a parrallel minor scale and then use that trick to be able to use other chords that weren't in the scale/modulate."

Never mind. Now I know you're just throwing words out there.

Seriously bud, I've gone through all of my Music Ed classes, and had to do lessons like that. Guitar is not the best choice, piano is actually a better instrument to use. If you're piano skills aren't there, then I can see making do with the best you have. Something like "Hot Cross Buns" is a great children's tune. You can actually google search for elementary music lesson plans and get some great ideas. Some of those easy tunes you can still pick a melody on piano with, which is all you're going for. You should try to use Kodaly hand signs though, so anything that ties up both your hands is a detriment to the lesson. Try google and see what you come up with. Good Luck!
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

Quote by k-log
I should be more specific, I have to teach rhythm/pitch by using a song. Mary had a little lamb, for example, was a good idea. Though the g-strings and minors might get my license revoked...

A serious answer:

if you want something really simple :Take a song like green day or blink 182 , find the scale/ chords of it, explain wich ones are maj or min and why (the root is the degree of the scale)(maj scale notes : Maj,min,min,Maj,Dim(7),min,min)

Or something really easy , maybe a bit stupid : Explain intervals disonnance/consonance :

A to A Unison  A to Bb minor 2nd  A to B Major 2nd  A to C minor 3rd  A to C# Major 3rd  A to D Perfect 4th  A to Eb Diminished 5th (Also known as a Flatted 5th)  A to E Perfect 5th   A to F minor 6th  A to F# Major 6th  A to G minor 7th  A to G# Major 7th  A to A Octave

Demonstrate what notes would be good for metal (diminished 5th interval) why : cause it sounds really disonant, like if something was realy going wrong.

For something sad, Use minor intervals (example 1-2-b3 or also a minor 3rd)

For happy now, just use a maj 3rd interval.

disclaimer : This information is not 100% correct (they are tips that work but you can still make happy/sad songs without knowing those) so don't flame at me like "omgawd you no need theoryz for thatz", those are only some little tips.

Quote by musicology
"...even a modulation to another scale."

I think you need to explain that to me. I can modulate to different keys, since that's the definition of modulation, but to modulate to another scale is something I can't say I've ever heard of.

"...how you could modulate using a parrallel minor scale and then use that trick to be able to use other chords that weren't in the scale/modulate."

Never mind. Now I know you're just throwing words out there.

Seriously bud, I've gone through all of my Music Ed classes, and had to do lessons like that. Guitar is not the best choice, piano is actually a better instrument to use. If you're piano skills aren't there, then I can see making do with the best you have. Something like "Hot Cross Buns" is a great children's tune. You can actually google search for elementary music lesson plans and get some great ideas. Some of those easy tunes you can still pick a melody on piano with, which is all you're going for. You should try to use Kodaly hand signs though, so anything that ties up both your hands is a detriment to the lesson. Try google and see what you come up with. Good Luck!

....HAHAHAAAHA http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_10_loose_ends_and_pesky_chords.html

Sorry for that maniac laugh, but maybe I forgot to say something but it's irrevelant really.

Let's take C Maj. You have a bunch of chords there. You can take the paralel scale, C minor to modulate. How? Transform the C Maj chord to C min. Then you can use a dominant chord/tritone sub one to pull of to another scale. This modulation will modulate, if I can remember to Eb Major(well, to the relative maj of C min).

another edit: Yeah sorry for that laugh seriously.

And wtf this modulation will modulate? x.x

Also, fixed the quote thing
Last edited by kevC4 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by musicology

I agree with the piano thing. even a basic keyboard.
I took a class similar to that, k-log. mine was geared a little younger, though (music for early childhood education). we used keyboards and I believe recorders (sorry, took it like 6yrs ago, so I don't quite remember everything). the focus was on keyboards, though. we actually had one assigned to us. very basic, not anything big or expensive. they we were just shown basics of playing. you really don't need to be a terribly proficient player when you're talking about playing the likes of Hot Cross Buns or Mary Had a Little Lamb in a general music class.