I'm wondering how many poetry lovers are in the pit. I need to choose a poem to write an essay on (discussing all of the many elements of poetry). The essay must be 3-4 pages long so I'm looking for a relatively long poem to write about. This would make it easier to drone on for 3-4 pages.

So does anyone have some suggestions/favorite poems? If you could provide a link to it as well, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
My favorite poets are Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison. Look them up. They have some good stuff.
The Raven - Edgar Allen Poe
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
The Flea - John Donne

not long, but a whole lot of **** to write about
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by angusfan16
Shakespeare wrote some awesome poems.

Who's that?

And I thought about doing The Raven.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
childe roland to the dark tower came - robert browning

there is easily three or four pages you can write about this poem. maybe you could talk about stephen kings books based in large part on this poem.
CAN I GET A +1?!
Riot Act - Ai
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I'd suggest "Anthem for Doomed Youth," by Wilfred Owen; it's a war poem, and there's a lot of great imagery and stuff you can draw from.

Alternatively, you could try "The Skunk," by Seamus Heaney; Heaney compares his lover to a skunk, it's a very odd poem, so you'd have a lot to work with.

Finally, there's Percy Bysshe Shelley's "Ozymandias" or "Ode to the West Wind." The firtst one, I quite like; the second has some controversial lines (I.E. "I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!" is often considered either one of the best or worst lines of poetry ever penned).

Hope this helps; if you want any other suggestions, let me know.

EDIT: I second John Donne's "The Flea," another great poem.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
The Force That Through The Green Fuse Drives The Flower - Dylan Thomas
Ah, Are You Digging on My Grave? - Thomas Hardy
Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey- William Wordsworth
Dulce et Decorum Est - Wilfred Owen
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. T.S. Elliot that **** up. About to write an essay on it, tons to write on, trust me.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
do the Raven. just finished looking at it in our gothic unit in school. lots of meaning
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Wow I misjudged the length of poem I was looking for. These are all great suggestions but really they don't have to be so long. Nothing has struck me as the perfect poem to write about yet.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

fine if you're not willing to read the long (and fucking awesome) poems i previously suggested, check out mending wall by robert frost or if by rudyard kipling for shorter poems that are still amazing.
Quote by NGD1313
fine if you're not willing to read the long (and fucking awesome) poems i previously suggested, check out mending wall by robert frost or if by rudyard kipling for shorter poems that are still amazing.

I'm sorry man. Normally I'm not against reading large bodies of text (I quite enjoy it). It's just right now I have a lot of my plate and not much time to do it so I'm looking for something a bit shorter. I have heard good things about the poets you suggested though.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by dingmydong
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. T.S. Elliot that **** up. About to write an essay on it, tons to write on, trust me.

I was going to say the same thing. We spent a whole week in my AP Lit class on that poem. A 3-4 page paper on it would be easy.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
John Trudell. They're in song form, but there's no denying that they're straight poetry....just with guitars in the background.
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
I'd look into something similar to Kublah Kahn or Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Coleridge has plenty from which you could write papers; Christabel, The Aeolian Harp, etc.
Quote by Haedadru
I suggest nicola teslas powered radiation death ray mounted on an orange, top secret, neo-nazi flying swastika

What?
The Raven is great!
also
I think the highway man might be long enough too.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.