I've finally reached the point of my life where I need to decide which direction into blackness I want to send my future. Yes, that means it's time to apply for college/university. I've been telling myself that I've got plenty of time and that I'll be able to figure it out, but October and November went by in no time at all and January's the deadline for applications to most places.

This wouldn't be such a big problem if I knew, or even had a slight idea, of what I want to do as a career, but sadly nothing has really peaked my interest yet. I'm making this thread for any discussion regarding choosing a career/post-secondary education and so people can post any interesting career ideas, websites like www.careercruising.com, ect.. I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this load of stress, so let's ease the pain with some discussion!
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
I'm in the same boat, I have no idea what I want to do. I'd love to do something in science, something hands on. What are you interested in?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Apply to a bunch of colleges. I'm not sure what I want to do, yet I applied and was accepted to three colleges already, and I'm going to apply to two more.

I'm thinking computer science... but it's always nice to have a bunch of options of places to go.
All your base are belong to us.
Man, im in the same boat and its not fun. Im pretty sure in gunna take a civil engineering technology program. You in southern ontario by any chance?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
i cant even get a ****in part time job!

althought im not lookin amaxingly hard

but still i have no idea what i wanna do!
I can tell you from experience that its often not until you get to college that you really figure out what you are interested in doing with the rest of your life. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US most schools have a variety of majors that you can choose from so that even if you don't know right away, you can go in "undecided" and have the opportunity to take a few classes and see what you like. Its certainly easier if you can figure out what you want to do earlier rather than later, but you certainly have time.
member #18 of the Seinfeld Fan Club --PM the_experience to join
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Man, im in the same boat and its not fun. Im pretty sure in gunna take a civil engineering technology program. You in southern ontario by any chance?

As a matter of fact I am. I live in Bowmanville, if you know where that is. It's about 45 minutes from toronto. I've been seriously considering applying for a firefighting course at Durham college, but I'm not getting the kind of vibe I want for it. I like physics alot as well, so I might apply for an engineering course or something.

EDIT: You're absolutely right, I do have time, but it's more so the fact that I'd rather just go straight to college this year, and not take a year off to work, because I don't think I'd be able to get back in the school mindset. I could also take a few courses and see what I like, but money's another issue. I have to pay for everything myself, since my parents have terrible jobs and can basically only afford to pay the bills and put food on the table. Therefore, I'd like to have to only pay for one course and save a lot of debt problems in the future.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Last edited by kyle100 at Nov 30, 2008,
Check out the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. I went there. 4 year federal service academy, fully paid for, you spend a year of it at sea, you're an Ensign in the USNR, you graduate and you're not a regular college hippy fag graduate like it seems all are nowadays. You'll have alot of extra time being locked on campus for long periods to increase your guitar skills. All of my friends and I had jobs months before graduating. I drive tug boats around the Gulf of Mexico and make bank... www.usmma.edu ... and it's a 15 minute train ride from NYC...
At first I wanted to study sociology, but then I realized I was only interested in the funny **** black people do.
Ugh..im in the same boat. I must be a boring person or something...cause I honest to god dont have a particular passionate interest in ANYTHING (minus guitar and music, limited choices in that though). Whats worse is I cant picture anything, and I mean any job where I wouldnt feel miserable. So as I see it, im gonna be equally miserable in anything I do..so I might as well go for a high paying job

House wife wouldnt be so bad to me..call me a traitor ladies, but I will make the hell out of those sammiches if it means I dont have to devote my life to work everyday ..ugh..everyday..everyday..everyday.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
yeah, i think a vast majority of people our age really don't have any idea. Most Cali colleges (UC and CSU) have application deadlines set for tonight at 11:59. I've got my applications in, but I mostly just chose majors at random sticking around the general physics/engineering area. meh, I guess there's plenty of time to decide.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
I applying to Conestoga, loyalist and mohawk.. south of Toronto, couldnt see myself living in a big city and the less time i spend in toronto the better lol.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
A good start would be to consider your interests
Then consider the job prospects involved in said subjects
Then consider what you'd enjoy, what you could achieve and what pays the amount you'd like to be earning. The achievement part shouldn't really be an issue - if you really really want to do it you should find a way. If nothing comes up from that - Go work in a supermarket and in 50 years time when it comes to retirement you may be manager or something.

Edit:
Wow am I the only person in this thread with a solid career plan?
Ah well, guess theres no rush for it