So, I'm borrowing a bass right now with HORRIBLE strings, I have a pack around i was gonna give to another friend, but instead i decided to change out the strings as a gift for this person I'm borrowing the bass from. Bad thing is, the string wont fit.

The bridge is like an L shape, holes in the bottom leg of the L and the very end of the E string wont fit. The rest of the string fits fine, just not the part where the string is wound around.

Should I leave the end hanging out or put the old one back on and pretend it never happened? or maybe make the hold a bit larger?

If it helps the new gauges are 45-65-85-105
Last edited by Jerry.thewise at Nov 30, 2008,
I've noticed too that these holes are sometimes too thin to take the ball end winding of some E strings. I can't think of no other solution than to take off the bridge and widen the hole with a round key file. Or else get another set of strings altogether.
*hijacks thread*

I have exactly the same problem, where the coloured string wrapped around my thickest string is too fat to fit through the hole at the bridge.
would it damage the string to try to maybe squeeze that part of the sting to make it thinner, with pliers or something?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
dont worry i've sorted it
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
TS, are you having problems getting the string through because of the hole size or the bridge saddle being in the way because when the string bends over the saddle it angles the string. If the hole isn't big enough I really don't know what to say. sorry. but if the bridge saddle is in the way you could always try turning the saddle on it's side the get the whole string through. After the string is through bend the string upwards a bit and put the saddle back the way it's supposed to be. I had to do this on my first bass because it was a 5 string and when i bent the B string up over the saddle the upward pressure made too much friction to get the string through all the way.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu