Hi, so i wanted to get input on my guitar tone and how to improve it. Its not really punchy enough. I use Toneport ux1 basic packs, I know its not great, but there are people who get amazing tone out of line6 modelers and I wanna know how. I usually double track my guitar with 2 slighty different tones.

"Break the Matrix"
soundclick.com/aversion

Thanks
Thanks for checking mine out. I can't really help you with any tone advice as I've never experimented with toneport and for that matter, don't even own a distortion pedal so I'm just not qualified to comment on your genre. Sounded really well done though. Nice production quality. Hopefully others can be more insightful than me.

Cheers,
J
Well, first of all I would say to get rid of the line-in idea all together. I have never heard a line in sound that is anywhere CLOSE to the sound of a mic'd cab. (if you liked my bands tone I'd be happy to give you the details on what equipment we use).

I'd really suggest micing your cabinet, preferably with a Senhieser (spelling) evolution e906, easily the best guitar mic I've ever used. It makes the Shure SM57 sound like a toy.

You have the layering idea down, usually 2 guitars with each panned to opposite speakers with slightly different tones.

So like I said, if you're willing to mic your stuff, tell me so and I will go much more in detail on how to get a better tone.