I'm a junior in high school right now and I've been thinking about my future college,etc. I want to be a doctor so I want to get into a good college. The problem is not my grades (I have good grades), but I don't really have any extra curricular activities. I was thinking maybe I could volunteer at a hospital or something and colleges might be impressed by that. Another question I have is about the language I'm learning. I'm learning French (currently in French III) and I want to know if this is a good language to learn. It's a little late now but I just wanted to know if med schools would mind if I was learning French instead of spanish. If anyone has any experience in becoming a doctor, It would be great to have some advice! Thanks!
If you do become a doctor, be sure to give us all medical advice when needed, mmmk?
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
To be a doctor you need to take multiple Latin courses since all medicine names are in Latin. Volunteer hours don't really matter. I got into a major university here in NC without any volunteer hours, but it certainly helps to have a bunch of volunteer hours. You should be prepared for loads of science and maths as well as grad school and internships.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by black007hawk2
If you do become a doctor, be sure to give us all medical advice when needed, mmmk?

haha no problem man, just give me a few years!!!
uhhh you should be learning latin, buddy. and volunteer hours at a hospital would look pretty nice.
My grades weren't exceptional and I had very few extracurricular activities but I got into all the college's I applied to regardless. You can always transfer to a better school after a year or two anyway.
Quote by assparade69
uhhh you should be learning latin, buddy. and volunteer hours at a hospital would look pretty nice.

My school doesn't offer latin but the main reason that I'm learning french is because it interests me more than spanish for some reason.
I'm also planning on going to Medical school. They LOVE volunteer work, so just try to volunteer as much as you can. They especially love things with helping kids, or peers. Do you have peer tutoring at your school? If so, do that. For my last two years of high school, I helped students with chemistry and biology after school if they needed it. They absolutely love stuff like that. Also, my cousin's friend is a doctor and he did big brothers and big sisters, which they loved. I'm sure volunteering at a retirement home would be good too.

French should be fine, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure they don't have a preference for the second language.

~Frussie

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
Just wait, you don't actually want to be a doctor. But if you do, good for you .
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by ccmetz2020
My school doesn't offer latin but the main reason that I'm learning french is because it interests me more than spanish for some reason.

Yeah, I don't want to learn Spanish, either. Leave the Spanish-speaking up to the Mexicans.

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
If you lived in Canada french could be a good advantage... But any second language will look good enough, but yeah, definatly do some volunteering.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yeah i have alot of experience in becoming a doctor.
My signature has doubled...
Quote by in2thesun88
To be a doctor you need to take multiple Latin courses since all medicine names are in Latin. Volunteer hours don't really matter. I got into a major university here in NC without any volunteer hours, but it certainly helps to have a bunch of volunteer hours. You should be prepared for loads of science and maths as well as grad school and internships.

Damn it!@
It's everywhere I go!
Teh "maths"!

Volunteering definitely helps with scholarships and such.
With both good grades and volunteering, you'll be able to coast in college, finacially speaking.

You shouldn't worry about admission, as that's not that difficult to do.
Just do well on your ACT/SAT and you'll be good.
In America, most doctors kind of have to know Spanish since so many patients speak it as a primary language.

It certainly helps, but isn't required.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by zippidyduda
In America, most doctors kind of have to know Spanish since so many patients speak it as a primary language.

It certainly helps, but isn't required.

Plus if you work with Carla from scrubs, you have to ask her things in Spanish.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by RU Experienced?
My grades weren't exceptional and I had very few extracurricular activities but I got into all the college's I applied to regardless. You can always transfer to a better school after a year or two anyway.

Pretty surprising considering you haven't mastered simple grammar yet.
Quote by huevos
Callate puto cerdo!
No digas tal porquerias.

I wonder if the filters will pick up on that ****...

I know what you said.

Yeah, getting into University or college initially the volunteer hours are nice, but won't help you much. However, when you apply to the actual medical program, they do really like to see volunteer hours (it's actually mandatory, or so I've heard..) so it will really help if you start now, better than later when you have to worry about your actual university courses and such.

~Frussie

you definitely don't need latin at all. any foreign language looks good, but unless you plan to work/study abroad at any point tbh you won't need it. stick with french

and everyone who knows they want a career in medicine volunteers and has a solid gpa these days (in my experience) so i say you should do all that, as well as something else to really set you apart. like tutoring or a summer job. a friend of mine worked in the coroner's office over the summer, for instance. take AP science courses too if you can

btw if you know what you want to do, you're a step ahead of basically everyone else (i for one have no idea haha), so use that to your advantage.
Shut fucking pig! Do not say such crap.
I wonder if the filters will pick up on that ****...

I'm a human, thank you. And a little respect would be nice, as well. My opinion is just one of many, you will always find someone who will disagree with you, so you might as well just get used to it now, and handle it in a mature manner.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by H(i)SS
take AP science courses too if you can

btw if you know what you want to do, you're a step ahead of basically everyone else (i for one have no idea haha), so use that to your advantage.

Yeah right now I'm taking AP Bio and Human Anatomy. Next year, I'll be taking AP Chemistry so I'll be all set!!!
Quote by black007hawk2
I'm a human, thank you. And a little respect would be nice, as well. My opinion is just one of many, you will always find someone who will disagree with you, so you might as well just get used to it now, and handle it in a mature manner.

this is all true, but not if said statement is objectively wrong and offensive.

edit:
Quote by ccmetz2020
Yeah right now I'm taking AP Bio and Human Anatomy. Next year, I'll be taking AP Chemistry so I'll be all set!!!

damn it sounds like you know what you're doing haha. good luck!
Last edited by H(i)SS at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by ccmetz2020
Why don't I want to be a doctor, give me some reasons man!

Because I have four friends who all wanted to be doctors; however, 3 months into the first semester of first year university they completely changed their minds. It's occurred to me that people like the idea of becoming a doctor, but once they see the amount of dedication it actually takes to do all the work, they aren't as excited anymore.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by H(i)SS
this is all true, but not if said statement is objectively wrong and offensive.

It's not a statement, it's an opinion, and my opinion is this: TS lives in America, where the official language is English. Why should he take his time to learn Spanish, when all along, the Spanish-speaking population should have been learning English? If they live in our country, earn our money, get our medical care, and live on our soil, they can at least speak our language while they're at it.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by black007hawk2
It's not a statement, it's an opinion, and my opinion is this: TS lives in America, where the official language is English. Why should he take his time to learn Spanish, when all along, the Spanish-speaking population should have been learning English? If they live in our country, earn our money, get our medical care, and live on our soil, they can at least speak our language while they're at it.

What medical care?

Yeah, and sometimes it takes a little longer to learn a language. New citizens might be more comfortable talking in their first language than a language they hardly know.

Quote by black007hawk2

The U.S doesnt have an official language.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

And anyway, if you are a doctor and a sick Spanish speaker comes in needing treatment, are you really going to tell them no?

If so, I seriously hope you never become a doctor.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Nirvana_rocks73
What medical care?

Yeah, and sometimes it takes a little longer to learn a language. New citizens might be more comfortable talking in their first language than a language they hardly know.

You know, doctors, nurses, and all that jazz?

True, but they should at least try. If I were to travel to Japan, I would be expected to learn their language, not the other way around. I don't think that it is unfair to ask the same thing of a person coming into America.

Quote by zippidyduda
The U.S doesnt have an official language.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

And anyway, if you are a doctor and a sick Spanish speaker comes in needing treatment, are you really going to tell them no?

If so, I seriously hope you never become a doctor.

It's not the official language, but it's needed to become a citizen of the U.S.A.

Proof.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Last edited by black007hawk2 at Dec 1, 2008,

If you don't have it already, get your EMT-Basic certification, voluteer at your local rescue squad, it's helping me big time now that i'm a Junior in college and applying to med schools, I've got interviews at several big ones solely from that. Language doesn't really matter because contrary to what was said above, medications are named for their chemical formulas, and there's this wonderful online resource called the Pharmacoepia (spelling?) that lists EVERY medication currently on the market, it's generic, chemical, and trade names and what it's used for. Take what interests you, do volunteer work/extracurriculars that Interest you. The point is: do what YOU are interested in, because med schools like to see people that have interests outside of the medical world. Someone who does nothing but sciences or medical related stuff looks like a suck-up. I know I said to get EMT-B and volunteer at a rescue squad, but don't do just that, I had sports and other things that I was into in high school/freshman and sophomore year of college that are also helping me with the schools.
Exar Kun of the UG Jedi Order, PM tamargoguitar to join!!

I like you, but you're crazy. Oh look, a flying monkey....

I fart in your general direction. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Quote by black007hawk2
You know, doctors, nurses, and all that jazz?

True, but they should at least try. If I were to travel to Japan, I would be expected to learn their language, not the other way around. I don't think that it is unfair to ask the same thing of a person coming into America.

If you were to travel to Japan, it would be a ridiculous expectation that you know their language, and are able to speak it fluently. It would be absolutely ridiculous to assume that everyone that visits a country should automatically know the ''official'' language. When you're in a hospital, you're going to do whatever comes natural to you, because you're most likely really sick, and scared. You'll probably talk in your first language since it's most comfortable to you, and chances are that one hospital staff member will be able to translate.

It's better to express your concern very will, instead of trying to impress the doctor with your English skillz.

Quote by in2thesun88
To be a doctor you need to take multiple Latin courses since all medicine names are in Latin.

Why should you take Latin courses if you dont have to understand grammar and stuff
like that? Okay, you have to know Latin names, but you'll learn them while studying right? I'm in my last year now (In Holland it's 6 years; 4 years college, 2 years internship, almost like BaMa, but still the old system), and i didnt have any difficulties without knowing Latin. I mean, you dont have to have conversations in Latin.

How it works with volunteering, i dont have a clue. Here, we have a lottery system
based on grades. I had good grades so i could start with my study immediately.

Hope you'll enjoy the study, it's fun and helpfull.
Quote by ccmetz2020
I'm a junior in high school right now and I've been thinking about my future college,etc. I want to be a doctor so I want to get into a good college. The problem is not my grades (I have good grades), but I don't really have any extra curricular activities. I was thinking maybe I could volunteer at a hospital or something and colleges might be impressed by that. Another question I have is about the language I'm learning. I'm learning French (currently in French III) and I want to know if this is a good language to learn. It's a little late now but I just wanted to know if med schools would mind if I was learning French instead of spanish. If anyone has any experience in becoming a doctor, It would be great to have some advice! Thanks!

You could practice putting your finger up your friend's pooper.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Meh, to get into the medical studies here (the free ones anyway... yes we're commie) you need ridiculously good grades.
Quote by ccmetz2020
haha no problem man, just give me a few years!!!

isnt it like 7 years to become a doctor? i know a girl that i go to college with shes going for premed the one tie i got sick she started to diagnose me and stuff it was funny. but man 7 years of school that is going to suck for you. good thing mine is only four or five years.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Im a sophmore in HS right now, and i want to be a chiropracter once im through school.
ive already read a couple books about it and its obvious that have been taking latin for 6 years is going to help hella.
Quote by black007hawk2

are you seriously gonna still be in the pit after like 9 years?