I made an effort to search for a thread on this topic, but my connection is slow and I couldn't find it. If this is a repeat thread please redirect me.

Im wondering what is the most appropriate way to finger something like this on bass, and if you should always finger it the same way no matter what. (I'm talking about the left hand or fretting hand)

G--------
D----3--
A----------
E--3------

Do you use your index finger for both notes or do you use your index on G and your middle finger on F?

What if I was playing this?

G--------
D----3--
A-------3---
E--3------3

What are some good excersizes for practicing this type of fingering?
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
personally, i would barr it, but it varies from person to person. if i were you, id practice barring it but making sure that the notes dont bleed over top of eachother. in otherwords, practice playing notes like that in a way that the notes are crisp and clear and they dont overlap eachother.
I dunno... I would try different ways and see what feels most natural and comforting.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
For bass it is generally recommended in almost all situation to stick to the one-finger-per-fret method.

I would play the E-3 with my index with the top (pad) of my finger then the other A-3 or D-3 I'd do the technique called a finger roll where you roll your finger down so closer to the knuckle is hitting the fret rather than the pad on your finger.

This is what the Hal Leonard bass method and others will teach you.
I would bar it. now if it was say,

G-1
D-----
A---
E---1

and pretty fast, I'd use my index and middle fingers on the same fret.

however, if you can, try to bar it whenever you can.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It really depends on the context, the length of your fingers and the string spacing on your bass. For example, I used to be able to barré from the 2nd fret of my E to the second fret of my G string with ease, but when I tried the same on my 6 string I had to change my technique dramatically, because the string spacing was tighter and the G lay within the first joint of my index finger.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

I would do halfway between a barre and a finger roll. I would play the E regularly and then roll the pressure down the my first knuckle to get the D string whilst taking the pressure off of the E, to effectively mute it. SO you're not moving around like crazy and you're not trying to roll around too much.
Thanks guys very helpful. Sometimes barring seems very difficult; I can't get the string not to buzz. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing it.

Explain finger roll please? Isnt that a technique Wilt Chamberlain used to burn the Lakers? Just kidding...but isn't it the same as barring?
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Last edited by chopps00 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by chopps00
Thanks guys very helpful. Sometimes barring seems very difficult; I can't get the string not to buzz. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing it.

Explain finger roll please? Isnt that a technique Wilt Chamberlain used to burn the Lakers? Just kidding...but isn't it the same as barring?

I THINK this is the video were Billy talks about it

Video
Well, for some tricky situations where there's notes on different strings right after each other using you thumb on the lowest string your playing can help. I learned to do that by playing the beginning to The Trooper by Iron Maiden, playing the 9+7 on the D string with my thumb:

--------___------___
|-9-9-7----7-7-7----5-5-5---7-9-7-9-----|
|---------9---------7---------7---------------| this is done 3x before getting into the song
|-----------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------|

I put the ___ over the notes merely to show that they are both half notes
(and the ---- to space them out, or else the spaces between the ___ wouldn't show and they would both go to the side), listen to the song to get the timing, and again, play the 9+7's on the D string with your thumb.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I guess it would depend on tempo and note length but generaly,

I would use my index finger to finger the G and then use my ring finger to finger the F
and then use my middle finger to finger the C, (or use the 'roll down' with my index finger to finger the C, either way works fine.) Personaly, and ime, I find it hard to bar the string skipping.(like fingering that G with my index and rolling it down to bar the F)

And to answer your question about thing "finger roll"
When you're playing your bass and fingering notes, generaly you finger the note with more of the tip of your fingers. When you "roll down" it's just that first nuckle(from your fingernail going towards your hand) that bends down and frets the note. So it's bascialy the flat part of your finger that is the nuckle fingering the note and the motion your finger makes is a rolling motion.

I hope this help a little.

EDIT: That sheehan video does a pretty good job of explaing it.

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Dec 2, 2008,