Kinda weird, but does location/time change your perception of music?

Like going to different towns, out of state, outside/inside, night/day, winter/summer, while driving, etc... It seems like I get different things out of the same music when I listen to it in different spots and times of the day. Like when I'm walking outside at night in the cool air with no traffic or bothersome noise, the music seems more introspective. And I get these strange occurences sometimes when the music matches the visuals I'm seeing. For instance...

new wave, synth pop, electronica type stuff at night
some Modest Mouse in a park on a breezy day while swinging
classical music and watching the clouds go past the moon with the music

At it seems that sometimes when I'm in an area I'm not too familiar with or don't really like, my favorite music sounds different. It's hard to put in words really.
Quote by Martindecorum
western australia = emo pop/indie music
Qld (east aus) - surfers with rock music/metal

+1

Adelaide seems to be the starting place for many bands before they move
ie, Chisel, The Church and The Angels
Quote by electr8r
Like going to different towns, out of state, outside/inside, night/day, winter/summer, while driving, etc... It seems like I get different things out of the same music when I listen to it in different spots and times of the day. Like when I'm walking outside at night in the cool air with no traffic or bothersome noise, the music seems more introspective. And I get these strange occurences sometimes when the music matches the visuals I'm seeing. For instance...

new wave, synth pop, electronica type stuff at night
some Modest Mouse in a park on a breezy day while swinging
classical music and watching the clouds go past the moon with the music

At it seems that sometimes when I'm in an area I'm not too familiar with or don't really like, my favorite music sounds different. It's hard to put in words really.

actually you explained it perfectly. When I get new music (like the new Cynic, props to that review) I prefer hearing it in my car because it just seems to be so much more of an experience than sitting in my room listening. And yeah sometimes depending on the seasons like in summer I like a lot more classic rock and folk but I start listening to more metal and prog rock as it get's colder. I don't know it just suits it if you ask me...
Whilst driving through the countryside I can imagine myself listening to the second half of Mordecai (BTBAM)

Edit - What I mean is that I in certain areas of where I am I can only imagine myself listening to something. I don't imagine myself blasting death metal next to a farm.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Last edited by shadesofanger at Dec 1, 2008,
Night: Sigur Ros, acoustic stuff like Elliot Smith.
Morning: Iron & Wine, Postal Service, Electronic music, sometimes some rock depending on my mood
Afternoon: Weezer, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Winter Night: Some smooth jazz.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
i have nostalgic feelings that relate to music that only occur when i listen to certain stuff by the butthole surfers or listen to a certaing playlist of my 90's music.
It should also be said I only ever get this feeling between 6 and 8pm during daylight savings and when i walk down the street near my house....totally weird
I forgot to mention, I remember hearing Outkast - Stankonia album for the first time on a camping trip when I was in my tent in the humid warm night air. The music felt so right with fitting with sultry southern air. Surf music/instrumental rock while going through American west landscape is perfect example. And bebop music fits in the streets of New York or Chicago.

Actually, it's hard for me to listen to music in my room staring at the wall. In fact, I used to run real fast outside if I heard a song that I liked on the radio to go sit on the porch swing and listen to it with my headphones. And I'm always left in the car waiting for my mom at various stores, offices, etc...and have a CD to listen to. It seems I can get attached to more memories to the music the more different places I hear it. While listening to music on my computer at home, the music seems to go more all together. I hope I explained it a bit better.
i have nostalgic feelings that relate to music that only occur when i listen to certain stuff by the butthole surfers or listen to a certaing playlist of my 90's music.
It should also be said I only ever get this feeling between 6 and 8pm during daylight savings and when i walk down the street near my house....totally weird

Wow, that's so close to my feelings it's not even funny. Even though I didn't really start listening to more modern music until around 2002 (I'm 21 BTW), I get all nostalgic with 90s music. When I walk close around my neighborhood listening to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins, Cranberries, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Sugar Ray, Radiohead around late afternoon/dusk it sometimes gets me teary eyed. It's like all these memories of what I used to think of life as a child come rushing back to me, and how it all felt innocent. Especially "Linger" by Cranberries and "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins and "Dollar Bill" by Screaming Trees.
My tastes change depending on the time of day and the weather outside. I'm more inclined to listen to fast paced music early in the morning and classical at night, more pop/guitar based in the summer and more piano based through the winter.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
at night when it's all quiet is when I tend to listen to slower, more careful stuff like MMJ, Radiohead, Flaming Lips.

Also, I HATE most top 40 type music during the day, but if I'm at a party with my friend I love a lot of songs I'd normally hate:P
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Night: Sigur Ros, acoustic stuff like Elliot Smith.
Morning: Iron & Wine, Postal Service, Electronic music, sometimes some rock depending on my mood
Afternoon: Weezer, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Winter Night: Some smooth jazz.

I'm a lot like this.

To be a little more specific than just time of day though, I LOVE listening to Sigur Ros, The Shins, Death Cab For Cutie, Elliot Smith and Kevin Devine while I walk around streets though. Listening to their lyrics and atmospheres while people move around me when I can't hear what they're saying it's as if they seem and feel different.

I feel lik that with a lot of bands, songs sound different to me wherever I am. For Instance, when i'm down the river and I listen to Jeff Buckley it's a lot more introspective and sad than when I listen to it at home (I don't do it on purpose, it's incredibly depressing to listen to it at the river, we miss you Jeff)
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Yeah! Of course though...every different place will get you a different vibe and you'll find yourself at different mindsets during each time of the day and even each season.
I agree completely, if I am at home by myself, I will be blasting thrash metal as loud as possible, but if I am wandering through the city on a hot summers night I LOVE 80's mainstreamish music.
I've always found car journeys can be a good time to explore whole LPs worth of stuff. It seems to stay with you a long time too.

I remember listening to two CDs worth of Van Halen Best Of on a plane, DT's Awake in the car as well.
Yes, depending on the weather and time of year, I fancy different styles of music.

When its hot and sunny in the summer while driving I love to listen to my clapton and the bluesbreakers album ('beano' album). If im going out to a club or something and its not raining I like to listen to some dirty electro like Justice/MSTRKRFT. On clear autum/winter days I like listening to some ambient kinda stuff like Sigur Ros, Explosions in the sky, Bloc Party etc.
Location and temperature really affect my experience.

I can't enjoy music in a really hot room. I really enjoy listening to music when it's cold and I'm under something warm, and when it's cool and breezy.

Also, new memories kind of attach themselves to songs when I go for a walk listening to music. But if it's really hot, it'll all just sound like noise to me. (Happened to me when I listened to The Sky Moves Sideways on a fucking hot day )
Jack Johnson, the Grateful Dead, or Simon & Garfunkel on chilly night walks alone.

RHCP, Doors, Doobie Bros in the day time...

And everything else at certain times and moments too difficult to explain..

But when I go on a walk in the nighttime when its kinda chilly and really quiet it always brings back memories...

I hate nostalgia, because I move a ridiculous amount and all my lives memories just flood back to me and make me wanna cry.
I was walking home 8 miles yesterday and when I got to a small dark road Goblin's 'Suspiria' came on shuffle on my iPod, it was class, I listened to some of Alice Cooper's spooky songs after that as well.