I know that most guitarists are more fond of tube tone, but I've been listening to some sound samples of solid state amps and they actually sound pretty good. I'm not sure about when they're turned way the hell up, but I was wondering if anybody uses a higher end solid state for gigging/band practice and what it's like. Anyone dare to be different?
If I had the cash for one, i'd get a Line 6 Vetta for recording.
But I still prefer tube amps when playing at high volumes. Even nice SS amps clip nastily (IMO) at high volumes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check out the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus, it's the cleanest SS amp you'll find so it's perfect for effects and processors, which can give it fantastic tone... And it's crazy loud, you'll have plenty of headroom to avoid that nasty SS clipping!
I was actually looking at Randall V2's and they sound really tight and nice with a lot of gain, but I don't know if they'll still sound good at high volumes. They are like 400w though, so that's probably enough headroom for decently high volume.
Yeah, those JC's are nice too.
Once I come up with some cash, I might go on the hunt for a used one to run my POD in front of.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I use Laney LV300 twin and i find the cleans are perfect for what i need and the drives (there are 2) sound very solid and i never need to go past 4 on the cleans and drives for practice or gigs.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
i've got a marshall mode 4 (pretty sure it's a valve amp) and it took some tweaking and effects but i got it to sound great, on par with some high end tube amps. i've also got a crate gt3500h which is loud as hell and once again with the right effects and tweaking it sounds great
like 2 previous posters if i had the cash for a lin6 vetta id purchase it in a second

the only thing wrong with solid state amps is that once you move past the entry level price point the variety of good solid state amps runs really thin
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I used to use a solid-state Fender exclusively. It still far outshines my Peavey for most clean tones and high-gain stuff.
I think the thing about solid state amps clipping at gigging volumes only applies to certain amps - 100 watts should allow you to turn up loud enough without clipping.

Another thing i'd like to add is i think Bernard Sumner (Joy Division/New Order) Used various solid state heads with everything cranked to maximum, with the intention of causing this power amp clipping that everyone hates - i've heard it was also so loud that you couldn't hear the bass unless the bass played higher up the fretboard, but he insisted on having that tone - this video pretty much proves this rumour to be true, for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVc29bYIvCM

(yes, i'm aware that this is ****ing weird, lol)

I think many good solid state amps have circuitry inside them which prevents signal clipping too, so you can crank them up as loud as you want without horrible transistor distortion.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've played with a solid state amp in my band for a pretty long time, but when I turn it up to about 10 o'clock the bass can't keep up, and the tone becomes cutting and just awful. I did not have a really good solid state amp at that time, but still... the more you crank it up the worse the sound gets. But with a tube amp it the opposite.

But solid state works good for bedroom use
I use to have a Randall RH200SC, It was pretty good for a solid state, was loud, and held up at gigs and such.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by frozen-dirt
I was actually looking at Randall V2's and they sound really tight and nice with a lot of gain, but I don't know if they'll still sound good at high volumes. They are like 400w though, so that's probably enough headroom for decently high volume.

Some of the Randall's and other miscellaneous stuff (such as the Fender Metal Head) were designed to have so much headroom that they could compete with 100-120 watt tube amps in volume without any tonal sacrifices. As far as I'm concerned, the V2 sounds close to amazing.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I played a Tech 21 SS amp once. I was amazed at the tone the thing had. I didn't get to crank it though in the shop. The cleans were awesome.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I play a Crate GT212 which is SS 120w, and the tone is good even at higher levels, I've never had a problem with it turning ugly on me or anything.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
i used solid state and fx pedals for gigging and band prac for years. there are some pros and but also cons. you can get some mean tones through pedals and solid state, but imo, they dont cut it at high volumes. particularly shows. just didnt tickle my fancy. as with tube amps, tone gets beefier and more full i spose at loud volumes. SS just seems to be missing that.
I use a 500 Watt solid state, i've never cranked it past 6 though, if I'm playing live I will mic it up or run a cable from the line out in the back of the head to the mixing desk.

Fender MH-500 ftw.

If I had the money I, too, would buy a Vetta II head. those things are killers man just check out Meshuggah!
I'm trading my Framus Dragon for a Vetta II.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I don't use solid state amplification
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by ZeGuitarist
^ Yep, only the Vetta and the JC left IMO..

You've not heard an Ampeg VH-140, SS-150, a Randall RG100, a Sunn Concert Lead, or a Sunn Beta Lead, then.

And that's only a few.
when I was back at my parents' place over thanksgiving break, I was reduced to playing through my Squier Champ 15b running into a 1960 cab, and... it was painful. Not a big fan of that tone anymore, these days....
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a few solid state amps and I'm not ashamed of them. I like the Vypyrs too. Don't forget the Cubes. They are amazing for their size and price.

Yes cubes are Gods gift to alot of poor bastards out there, and props for BOSS for making a really exeptional product for dirt ****ing cheap.

Out of all the cheap SS amps out there, the Cube is always the one I go back to.

Vox, Peavey got nothing on it, anything either of them cant do, the cube will do, anything they can do, the cube will do.

Its just ****ing great.
I prefer SS for reliability and price reasons, plus my idea of good tone is different from most people's anyway. For instance, I love pedal distortion.

But I'm gonna get a Hiwatt G100R after Christmas, and that's based on playing. One of the most underrated amps out there.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well, one of my amps I use to play alot of metal with is the Randall RG75 G3. Totally kick ass amp which I would choose over quite a bit of valve amps. I also use a Marshall JTM30 but for something totally different. It's nice to have different amps for different occasions
IMO, the best cleans come from tubes. The little Marshall JTM30 I have definitly has best clean channel I have EVER heard.