Hey insomniacs! On my quest for tone, as usual, I am up late thinking about what I can do to improve it. I was wondering about my MXR Phase - 90. For some reason, it sounds as if it has it's own overdrive built in. It IS possible to have a clean phase right? Is it because of where it is in my effects chain its distorting? So THIS made me wonder about the entire chain itself. I've always put my pedals where they made the most sense to me where they are the most convenient for me on my board. I'll try to post a pic and tell me what you think I could do to improve it. The order is:
Tuner > Whammy > Wah > Delay > Flange > Chorus > Phaser > Reverb > FX loop

P.S. Sorry the pic is so small.. I can't seem to get it to remain a decent file size and still be post able.. and my board isn't normally that messy :p
Attachments:
photo.jpg
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Chorus, delay, maybe the reverb and whammy (dunno bout those 2) in the FX loop, then tuner > Wah > Phaser > Flange.

Edit: I've heard battery chargers sound pretty good in the loop too
Quote by littlephil
Chorus, delay, maybe the reverb and whammy (dunno bout those 2) in the FX loop, then tuner > Wah > Phaser > Flange.

Edit: I've heard battery chargers sound pretty good in the loop too

My logic behind it was to have the tuner first, since it will get the purest signal, thus most accurate tunings. The freaking whammy is there because thats the only place it would fit lol.

The thing is, if i put the tuner, wah, phaser and flange after the fx loop, i wont be able to turn them off with one click, defeating the purpose? or am i missing something?

haha and yeah battery chargers ftw! i get paranoid about my body pack dying on me during a set
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by stevenpollock
My logic behind it was to have the tuner first, since it will get the purest signal, thus most accurate tunings. The freaking whammy is there because thats the only place it would fit lol.

The thing is, if i put the tuner, wah, phaser and flange after the fx loop, i wont be able to turn them off with one click, defeating the purpose? or am i missing something?

haha and yeah battery chargers ftw! i get paranoid about my body pack dying on me during a set

Wait, what? You put those between the guitar and the amps input, then the chorus etc in the effects loop. It will sound better that way. Modulation (chorus, delay, reverb) should be in the effects loop, and wah, whammy and the others before the amp so they affect the tone before the preamp does.
Quote by littlephil
Wait, what? You put those between the guitar and the amps input, then the chorus etc in the effects loop. It will sound better that way. Modulation (chorus, delay, reverb) should be in the effects loop, and wah, whammy and the others before the amp so they affect the tone before the preamp does.

In other words, you're saying everything is before the input, right? Because right now, everything is going through the effects loop.

My guitar to my input, from my effects send to my tuner, though the chain, and from the reverb to the effects return (that might be the opposite from what I said, I don't remember exactly)

I'm sorry if this is confusing. It is to me haha. I pretty much just tried to figure it out on my own. (I posted a thread for help back in july but no one replied)
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Your chain should be, Tuner > Wah > Whammy > Flange > Phaser > Chorus > AMP and in the effects loop: Delay >Reverb > FX loop Return. Another alternative is to put some or all of the following in the loop: Whammy, Flange, Phaser, and Chorus.
Quote by bogg808
Your chain should be, Tuner > Wah > Whammy > Flange > Phaser > Chorus > AMP and in the effects loop: Delay >Reverb > FX loop Return. Another alternative is to put some or all of the following in the loop: Whammy, Flange, Phaser, and Chorus.

The chorus should be in the loop too. I dont put my whammy in the loop but some people do (Tom Morello)
I've basically been using the loop so that I can turn off all the effects with one button.

I'm not aware of any other uses
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by littlephil
The chorus should be in the loop too. I dont put my whammy in the loop but some people do (Tom Morello)

I said the chorus could also go in the loop. Whenever I play with a whammy pedal in my setup, I put it straight after my wah and 'vibe effects. I also prefer the sound of Phasers, Flangers, and Choruses in front of the amp, but I am always switching the chorus in and out of the effects loop.