Page 1 of 4
This is a thread for the most truly gifted and inspirational players... that are also the most humble.

Who would I pick?
Tony Iommi
In every interview I've seen with him, he just seems so friendly and outright cool. Not to mention he really deserves the title of the Godfather of Heavy Metal, and he just seems so... unaware of just how important his playing was.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Dave Mustaine, people say he sounds whiny but you have to understand he died from drugs and then was defribulated back to life, he's gone to rehab 15 times, Kirk Hammet stole his job and used the riffs he wrote for Kill em all and he never got credit, he grew up with no father, and he seems like he's pretty friendly nowadays.
Kerry King. Just a nice guy and so talented to boot!
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by BrockTandem
Yngwie Malmsteen.

XD You've apparently never read a Malmsteen interview where he discusses his technique.

Anyway, on-topic, Slash is somewhere up there; even when he's that cliche rockstar you expect to do whatever he wants and assume he can get away with it, it's often written he surprises interviewers by apologizing for being even a few minutes late.

Brian May as well, and I truly have respect for him to be humble. For gods sake, he built his own guitar from scratch(before I get shot at for the pickups, originally he was going to use his own hand-made pickups, but they didn't work right, so he bought the Burns pickups), and plenty of people, including myself, see him as a virtuoso, and back from the 70's when those were so rare, managed to stand out next to the god of a vocalist that was Freddie Mercury(Look at Roger and John; their both incredible, but Freddie and Brian just overshadowed them so much), he has nearly every right to be anything but humble, and yet he always sounds so grateful in his interviews.

Eric Clapton is one of the top ones IMO; unlike most aging legends, he actually has had the sincerity to go and admit when asked that he can't play as well as he used to.

If we can list the dead, Jimi Hendrix as well; though somewhat overblown, Jimi was definitely an incredible guitarist, and was amazing for the time, yet he didn't think himself that good a guitarist and admitted there were plenty of guitarists he thought were better than him.

To wrap it up, Stevie Ray Vaughan. He was pretty much the only guitarist not shredding a Kramer in the 1980's, and if you watch a video of his playing, he was incredible, yet he never came out and acted like so many of the great players that know we'll listen to them do.

Those would be the top ones IMO.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by BrockTandem
Yngwie Malmsteen.

God dammit, one post in and the thread's already being trolled.

T_T
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
I would say the lead guitarist from Trivium, Corey Beaulieu.
There was an interveiw with him on UG a few weeks back, talking about their new album Shogun. and theres some amazing leads on there, melodic and tehcnique wise, and all he could say was, I dont know how i done that.
So he would seem pretty humble
Quote by Silas S Thompso
Dave Mustaine, people say he sounds whiny but you have to understand he died from drugs and then was defribulated back to life, he's gone to rehab 15 times, Kirk Hammet stole his job and used the riffs he wrote for Kill em all and he never got credit, he grew up with no father, and he seems like he's pretty friendly nowadays.

being offered a job after the previous band member is fired is alot different than stealing

never got credit? do my eyes decieve me or was mustaine not credited on 'metal up your ass'?
Jade Puget, it's different. But if you ever actually look at his guitar work it's a lot harder than people reliese and in anything I have ever seen with him he is always very humble and quiet. Although a newer guitar player I give him kudos.
Quote by Silas S Thompso

+1, Daves been through alot
Quote by Silas S Thompso

Well, y'know, apart from the fact he did get credit...

Anyway, I'd probably have to say Dave Murray.
Mark Morton and Skwigaar..... freaking cool dudes lol
Nothing has it all

Bury the place Ive been

I fear theres a way out

Touch Of Red

In Flames

Jason Becker.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
What about guys like Tony Rice? He's an absolute beast of a newgrass player, and he's always been the most humble guy in all the videos and interviews.
Quote by sheumack111

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by Silas S Thompso

Dave Mustaine has had a really rough life, but he still is a dick.

A very talented dick, but a dick nonetheless.

I should rephrase myself, he used to be a dick. He actually seems like a pretty cool guy form what I've seen of him in recent interviews and lessons.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Dec 1, 2008,
I just realized I never listed someone. I'd probably say either Mikael Akerfelt, or Mark Morton. Mikael always seems like a cool guy, and he constantly says how he doesn't think he's that good, even though he's a genius. Mark Morton also is really humble. He didn't even credit himself on Lamb of God's first album, instead just listing his middle name.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Silas S Thompso

Kirk didn't steal his job, he was fired, so he lost his job. James wrote most of the riffs for Kill Em' All so all Kirk did was play Dave's solo's. As for growing up without a father, so did I and I didn't turn out like that, Dave Mustaine is just an asshole for no reason.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Birchall17
Dave Mustaine is just an asshole for no reason.

i dont think he's as much of an asshole nowadys than he used to be
in quite a few interviews i'v seen or read, he comes across as quite a nice guy
maybe converting to christianity was good for him

to contributeto the topic, i think paul gilbert is a really humble yet amazingly gifted guitar player.
in all his interviews or videos or promo vids or whatever, he just comes across as being a genuinely nice guy
Quote by XianXiuHong
Paul Gilbert

Yes. Anyone who has the balls to cover Dancing Queen is worthy of being deemed humble.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by DotSick at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by DotSick
Yes. Anyone who has the balls to cover Dancing Queen is worthy of being deemed humble.

Wut? He covered that song?
God damn, I have to hear this now.
Quote by sheumack111

I fucking Lol'd
Kirk Hammet. He seems to be a really nice and cheery guy. John Petrucci as well.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Marty Friedmann

Agreed.
Quote by sheumack111

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by Silas S Thompso

1. He's not the only one with problems
2. Kirk Hammett didn't steal his job. Dave was fired.
3. Dave got credit for riffs he wrote.
4. So did lots of people

I would say Randy Rhoads.

He constantly had guitar teachers on the road with him and loved to learn and teach.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Adrian Utley from Portishead, absolute genius and you never hear him going on about how awesome he is. Ever.
Tom Morello
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Rory Gallagher?
Quote by FunkasPuck
i swear, we are like the small gloucestershire village of the internet: we try god bless us, but we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world.
Page 1 of 4