Hi..

Im basically setting up a small studio at home and am getting all the essential equipment....

And since im not a bass player ..im not really well versed on the good bass guitars out there...

Im looking for something within 200£ (400 USD) ....ill be using it mainly for recording purposes ...so im not really going for looks ....i just want good sound quality....
Squier Vintage Modified jazz.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Actually that's $297 USD

The FAQ isn't very helpful in this area.

I'd say either a Squier P-bass special, or an SX P/J bass.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 1, 2008,
It's a good bass, definitely, but the recording tone is a bit bland don't you think? I haven't had much luck with them... (there are two in my family's practice area at the moment)
Nope, no sig here.
Try a Traben Array or a Yamaha RBX270
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm not seeing the RBX270 on musician's friend, but the 170 looks like a viable option too.

TS for general recording a passive P/J pickup combination is what you want to have. You can get the tone similar to most any tone, and the rest can be done post-recording.
Nope, no sig here.
What's the price of the 370? I picked up a 375 (5 string version) for a little over $400 and it's great, try look and see how much that is in england?
rawr
Either SX, used or really anything with some WKREK eq setup should work.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Line6
Either SX, used or really anything with some WKREK eq setup should work.

sorry dude ..but whats WKREK ?
Anything with a really COOL eq setup should work.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by inlovewithmusic

No. This bass is horrible. Please do not buy it. In fact, avoid Epiphone entirely if at all possible.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Yeah, epiphone thunderbirds suck, i vote for the squier VMJ too. Or see if you can get an OLP stingray copy, but one of the later versions if possible (which are good to start with), and mod it with an afetrmarket pickup like a seymour duncan or something when you have the money.
If i were you, id go for a P-bass. Maybe a used MiM. Jazzes are great and all, i own one lol but if your going for a recording sound a P-bass, i think would be the best. In my opinion a Jazz bass or an active bass has too many options of tone for someone who isnt familiar with bass and bass eq while a P-bass, you can get a nice fat, bassey tone out of it.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Phishead42
If i were you, id go for a P-bass. Maybe a used MiM. Jazzes are great and all, i own one lol but if your going for a recording sound a P-bass, i think would be the best. In my opinion a Jazz bass or an active bass has too many options of tone for someone who isnt familiar with bass and bass eq while a P-bass, you can get a nice fat, bassey tone out of it.

hey ...thanks but that right there is rocket science for me ...how is an active bass different from a jazz bass ? it would really help if you can gimme brand examples of each
And active bass just means that the electronics in the bass are active and have a separate EQ
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Squier VM J
Ibanez SR300

my 2 suggestions. as lovely as that Epiphone is, I would advise against it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Squier VM J
Ibanez SR300

my 2 suggestions. as lovely as that Epiphone is, I would advise against it.

What he said
Another option is a good octave shifting pedal.

300$ won't buy you a really good bass unless you buy used, but for 100-200$ you could get a good pitch shifting pedal used, just use it to shift your guitar's pitch down, and voila, passable bass.
^ $200 would be better spent on a used bass. A guitar through an octaver does not sound like a bass.

And guys, I'd like to point out that it's $300, not $400.
1 GBP = 1.48723 USD
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 2, 2008,
The Answer

I love these things. £200 for a 5 string with PJ pick ups, a reliable name (forget what happened with the RBX 375 pre-amp problem) and a solid instrument for most genres.