Hello guys, I've been playing the electric guitar for about a year and found an interest in the classical guitar which i plan to self learn it.

What are some of the techniques i need to know and what are some beginner songs i can play?
You could train your self by playing music by ear,Though its hard and it will take a while i beat.
And teachers will also teach you how to learn by ear!.

Going on youtube is very helpful as well, as a guy that played only two month

I can say that tabs(plus basic chords) youtube and some lessons on the site combined was a great teacher for me
I still didnt get a real teacher but i can knock some songs i hear by ear,But i know i will need one sooner or later
Last edited by MosesThoukwho at Dec 1, 2008,
You can teach yourself but a teacher can really guide you much better. You might not pick up any bad habits but it's very possible that you choose all of the incorrect repertoire, play things that are too hard, build up unnecessary tension in your playing etc etc.

Start off with the Giuliani, Sor, Carcassi and Carulli studies. Look for ones that develop your right hand (lots of right hand pattern changing but not much left hand movement). You want to have a solid technique before you move into more serious pieces.
youve been getting exellent advice so far i would advice ( aaron shearer vol.1 ) you willfind a really god start but find a teacher.
I've been working out of a book called Solo Guitar Playing 1 by Frederick M. Noad and so far it's been a great beginning study for classical guitar. It starts with the absolute basics of classical playing, and teaches you how to read sheet music at a step-by-step pace. I'd personally recommend picking up that book if you're looking for a home study course. I also support the idea of finding a GOOD tutor - a classically trained one, if you're serious about taking instruction purely for classical purposes. Nothing wrong with teaching yourself though, as long as you take it nice and slow. It demands a lot more patience than some other styles do.

MadTaco
"He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." - Orwell
Quote by MadTaco
<snip> I also support the idea of finding a GOOD tutor - a classically trained one, if you're serious about taking instruction purely for classical purposes.

good advice
Quote by MadTaco
Nothing wrong with teaching yourself though, as long as you take it nice and slow.

not so accurate advice, there is a great deal wrong with teaching yourself, many pitfalls you will be simply unaware of.
Quote by MadTaco
It demands a lot more patience than some other styles do.

It is certainly more exacting in the technical area, as for patience.......classical technique usually allows a pupil to produce complete stand-alone musical results quite early in training and can be highly rewarding in respect to quality of result obtained for the effort expended.
My comments offered on original topic, not directed at Mr Taco.
I suggest you buy The Art of Classical Guitar Vol. 1 by Peter Altmeier-Mort. It's an Aussie book and since your from NZ it'll be highly likely for you to find it.
not to take over this thread or anything....but isn't fingersyle a lot more relaxed with technique than classical. Cause, I like fingerstyle and have been self-learning it. (There are surprisingly few people who have even heard about fingerstyle where I live
yeah i've always wanted to learn classical. i taught myself acoustic guitar and not sure if i could teach myself classical. look up tabs and youtube really helps.
whats a good beginner classical guitar?
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I suggest you buy The Art of Classical Guitar Vol. 1 by Peter Altmeier-Mort. It's an Aussie book and since your from NZ it'll be highly likely for you to find it.

Who are your comments directed to? I think you may have confused authors in thread. (I've met Peter, infact, he and I studied under the same teacher).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI_FHSOcLQU&feature=related
Look at this. See how much discipline she has. Look at her left hand fingers, they always place near the fret. And her right hand, giving every note an accent.

So my advice is "be patient and be disciplined".

And as a beginner song I recommend "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven.
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=1731
Last edited by YA89 at Jan 3, 2009,
Alright *deep breath*

If you're going to start playing classical, then do your best to get a teacher. I STRONGLY recommend it. Classical guitar is a lot more than just knowing the notes of a song and playing them, technique is crucial. If you have crappy technique, the song will sound bad.
Not only that, but many songs that have one or even three different voices will have specific volumes for each voice. Playing all voices at the same volume or drowning out one voice with another is something that's done A LOT. Even by some of the best classical players on Youtube. A teacher with a strong classical background can help you with this, and you'll eventually be able to workout the identity of each voice by yourself.

If you're not going to get yourself a teacher, then look up videos on youtube of finger picking. In particular rest stroke technique and free stroke technique. After a while, when you're more advanced and want to play some really nice songs that use tremolo, look for that. Also, you might want to learn "Studies," which will help your right and left hand technique. I recommend the Fernando Sor studies and nearly all of the Mateo Carcassi studies which are pretty easy. You can learn how to read notes and rhythm, if you don't already, you don't really need a teacher for that as it's pretty easy to find guides and such online. Or, if you don't want to bother with that, just listen to a song on youtube to get the rhythm, and use a tab. Best classical tab website I've found is www.classtab.org it's loaded with classical music, and its probably more accurate than whats here on UG, or any other tab site.

As for songs for beginners, I don't know what to recommend. The studies themselves are songs. But I will recommend a few artists and some songs- aside from the ones that I've already mentioned.

Francisco Tarrega: Adelita, Oremus, and Lagrima.
Fernando Sor: Op 35 No.10 in Em
Led Zeppelin: Stariway to heaven (I'm dead serious.)
Andrew York: Snowflight.

Good luck
Last edited by Stoner4589 at Jan 4, 2009,
If you want to play classical and be taken seriously by anyone with more than a passing interest in the form then see a qualified teacher.

And don't rely on tab.

Take all advice given on this thread, especially most pieces so far recommended as illustrative of beginner repertoire with a large degree of salt, nothing I've read in the thread approaches beginner except perhaps some of the yet unspecified studies (actually in Sor's case more likely exercises or lessons) by Sor, Guiliani, Carcassi and Carulli. Even most of these assume prior solid basic training.

And if I haven't already said DON'T rely on tab then I'd better add: DON"T rely on tab.

Books by Noad, Shearer, and Altmier-Mort and others are all best used under guidance of a teacher.

However if you wish only to belt out a couple of tunes with rudimentary classical technique then take whatever advice you feel like, it will repay you in kind.
The best advice I cn give you is the Aaron Sheerer guitar method books.

They are incredible, direct, they dont move too fast, and they really work technique.

also I suggest some simpler Andrew York songs

there are 300 recordings of Snowflight on youtube
it's a good beginner classical piece.
iv seen people whov taught themselves classical guitar without a teacher and 99x of 100 they suck, they have all sorts of bad habbits
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Last edited by HenHouse at Jan 4, 2009,