Hey,
i have a fairly new Gibson Explorer i'd like to put a floyd rose or maybe comparable tremolo system on. I have a few questions, how much will instillation cost/could i do it myself. and what tremolo do you guys recommend? any cool tremolos that require minimal or no routing? thanks.
ps as for what id like my tremolo to do it would be used to mostly metal and take a beating
wow well that if it can be done would have to be done by somone VERY skilled. they would have to take the bridge off, cut into the wood for a place for the tremolo install springs all that jazz, plus a floyd rose is about 200 bucks id imagine if this can be done it would cost you around 600-800 bucks.
thanks for reply man
anoyone else? in honestly i surprised your person is saying it needs such a professional, i myself feel i could maybe handle the routing figuring they have templates but who knows. other opinions? price ideas?
ok first off all,im not entirely use to the explorer but i doubt that the head stock is straight which means that putting a tremolo system in is a bad idea,if you want a bar on the tremolo,yes you are going to have to do allot of routing,im not sure about the cost but id estimate any were from 100-500 for labor+a 200+ dollar tremolo,and if you go through with it a double locking licensed Floyd rose are amazing i have one on my Dime-o-flame and love it

i recommend just getting another guitar with a tremolo try a Dean,ibanez,or Jackson
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Last edited by saitenslayer at Dec 1, 2008,
Look into the Kahler Hybrid series. It doesn't have quite the range of a Floyd Rose, but it's enough for divebombs and squeals and stuff, it just won't go slack unless you detune. Plus, no routing!

www.kahlerusa.com

EDIT: Okay, just checked, some top routing.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Last edited by scrambler_66 at Dec 1, 2008,
there is a tremolo system that i saw today on the internet that doesn't need routing at the bridge. it goes in place of the bridge and stop tail piece. I don't know about the locking nut but it might not be as good as floyd rose for dive bombs and pull ups and stuff. you'd have to look into it more. i don't know the name but it should be what your looking for.
you could do it yourself but unless you have the right tools it mite look sloppy and you could screw up ur gibson. For the price of the whole project you would probably be better off buying a guitar with a floyd such as an esp explorer or something.
^Stetsbar? I forgot about that. It's not as extreme as a floyd, but I've heard good things about it.

EDIT: Directed at acdcrock####
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Stetsbar or les trem is what you're talking about
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Right, a few points:

Explorer headstocks are angled enough to give plenty of tension, and not need a tension bar.

Explorers, like all guitars with non-recessed Tune-O-Matic bridges, have quite extreme neck angles compared to FR-equipped guitars. All of the routing and mounting of an FR wouldn't be a problem, but it would sit as high as your TOM does at the moment, and just look hideous. Also, your sustain would suffer having the bridge raised so high on its posts.

^ For those reasons alone, I would seriously advise you not to do it.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Right, a few points:

Explorer headstocks are angled enough to give plenty of tension, and not need a tension bar.

Explorers, like all guitars with non-recessed Tune-O-Matic bridges, have quite extreme neck angles compared to FR-equipped guitars. All of the routing and mounting of an FR wouldn't be a problem, but it would sit as high as your TOM does at the moment, and just look hideous. Also, your sustain would suffer having the bridge raised so high on its posts.

^ For those reasons alone, I would seriously advise you not to do it.

He COULD, however, have one built for him by a luthier here on UG
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
well guys thanks for all the advice, im going to keep looking into it and if anyone else has help throw it out there, now lets see if i f*ck my gibson up or not