We played a gig last night and the producer/promoter talked to us about having good and potential originals, and constructive criticism about the band. The only problem is his constructive criticism was actually abstract.

When someone tells you that you need to get your sound tighter, or have a tight sound, what exactly does that mean?

does it involve frequencies, drum velocity, bass tone, all that?

what exactly does it mean, its been running through our minds lately
thanks for help :>
^ generally it means not playing so loosely. not being super tight can be good, hendrix could go from loose to tight and it sounded awesome. the problem is that if everyone is too loose, then you fall out of time with each other.
thanks, but i still don't get what tight and loose mean in terms of sound / bandplaying

but reading your post im guessing it has something to do with time? or not necessarily maybe

It basicly means practice practice practice so you know the songs inside out in your sleep while drowning, be perfectly in time, dont look at other band members should a slight mistake happen, if you break a string know where to play the song elsewhere on the fretboard, no out of place natural harmonics flying around, why didnt you just ask your promoter if you werent sure?
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by alkalineweeman
It basicly means practice practice practice so you know the songs inside out in your sleep while drowning, be perfectly in time, dont look at other band members should a slight mistake happen, if you break a string know where to play the song elsewhere on the fretboard, no out of place natural harmonics flying around, why didnt you just ask your promoter if you werent sure?

Thanks friend. i kinda get it now. so he meant it in a somewhatnonmusical way.

and for the record the promoter was in a hurry and he left before i could ask that question. being last band is weird. heh
Quote by JohnnySoul
Thanks friend. i kinda get it now. so he meant it in a somewhatnonmusical way.

and for the record the promoter was in a hurry and he left before i could ask that question. being last band is weird. heh

No, he definitely meant it in a MUSICAL way. The only other definition guys in bands throw around that uses the word "tight" has nothing to do with playing music.
I'll keep things PG and not mention it, lol.

But, anyway....I suspect your band has some problems all hitting the beat at the same time, and keeping steady time. The best way to fix this is to practice individually with a metronome, and to practice the songs together until you can shift tempos and into choruses, bridges, etc, on a dime without even thinking.

In summation, know your material absolutely backwards and forwards.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by alkalineweeman

if you break a string, i just run and grab another guitar and shout into the mic for the others to keep playing...

its only happened once... lol

EDIT: (just as long as its not during a solo)
Pretty sure he meant you're sloppy. You might've been just slightly out of time with the others and sounded right but off, maybe you aren't muting the strings you aren't using, maybe you weren't motherfreaking-perfect in tune, little things like that.

Your guitar sounds miles better if you're 100% perfectly in tune, may be what he meant imo. Getting excited and strumming too hard could be knocking you slightly out of tune?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
^^^^yea im pretty sure he ment being able to anticipate, know your part completely, just not playing sloppy. The music sounds as near as perfect as possible, which means practice practice practice.
It means you guys weren't on time/playing sloppy/****ing up.
It means you guys weren't all in time or locked in to one another. It is important that you make sure that you are together and tight and able to function as a band together, on time, and on beat.