Im getting an Epiphone Les Paul Studio for christmas, and it comes stock with Alnico Classic Humbuckers.

Now I dont have any experience with these humbuckers nor this particular guitar, since theres not a store within 50 miles that sells les pauls for me to try, although I have played a epi les paul standard before.

Anyways, to the point, should I replace these hb's on this right away or just replace them if they go bad. If I should replace them whats a good pair for 150 or less, and is this something I can do myself, or would I have to take them in and pay get them swapped out.
Epiphone Pickups are bad since they sound weak and brittle .
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
When you get it home and use it you'll get a better idea how it sounds I have some Epis that sound great some that need a pup swap. The higher end Epis pups are not bad though.

John
Play it for a while first, there's no need to chuck the stock pickups out right away if you might like them. They're unlikely to "go bad" (pickups generally don't die unless they are total pieces of crap - hence the vintage guitar market ) so a swapout would depend on if you like the stock ones or not. If you don't and decide to replace them, what kind you need would depend on what you want to sound different. You could go with a pair of Seymour Duncan '59s, DiMarzio PAF Pros... it all depends on the sound.

Just please don't buy EMGs. Every time I see a perfectly good Les Paul ruined with those crimes against tone I want to cry.
no
Ok well thanks for the info on the hb's.

AS for the amp...well I dont have one yet. After chrismas ill prolly have a fair amount to spend on an amp, but I am not too worried, because Ill be able to just go down to my local music store with my guitar, and try out a bunch of amps until I find one that suits me, my guitar, and my budget.
There's never a reason to change pickups right away if it's a guitar you've got little experience with.

Get the guitar, play with it, find out how it works with your rig - if there's anything you're not happy with soundwise then you can start drilling down to the root of the cause and potential fixes, pickups might not even be the issue.

[EDIT] and if you don't even have an amp it's not something you need to be remotely concerned with yet
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
get a good tube amp and it wont matter
stock Epi p/u's are ok, but if you amp sucks it doesnt matter what p/u's you have

and yes, please do not throw in EMG's - unless you want to ruin your guitar and sound like everyother metalhead with EMG's

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
EMGS are ugly =X

anyways im not really concerned about the humbuckers, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these particular ones.

And yes, I understand how important it is to have a good amp, if my trumpet sells I could possibly have 300+ to spend just on an amp, of course if I cant find a decent cheaper amp first.
Try out the guitar, and if you like the sound, don't bother changing them. Let the guitar and playing evolve a little before you start tweaking and rearraning your tones. Your tastes will vary as you progress - even if you are an adept player already - and there is no point replacing the pickups when you could then want them changed again in six months time.

The pickups you get in an Epiphone are some of the best in that price range, but you can get far better. That said, you might be better off waiting and buying a whole new axe after saving up a little. Then you will have two guitars; one for smashing around; and one serious tones and serious guitaring!

A nice tube amp will encourage better tones than any pickups in the world will do. It's easy to misunderstand that, but there you are.
There are a tonne of awesome tube amps that you can buy for relatively cheap and will boost your tone by a mile, you won't bother with anything else for a long time once you get one.
Quote by steven seagull
There's never a reason to change pickups right away if it's a guitar you've got little experience with.

Get the guitar, play with it, find out how it works with your rig - if there's anything you're not happy with soundwise then you can start drilling down to the root of the cause and potential fixes, pickups might not even be the issue.

[EDIT] and if you don't even have an amp it's not something you need to be remotely concerned with yet

+1

very, very good advice.
well i guess its been said enough but get ur guitar first and see how u like it. i'd recommend buying an amp before u switch out the pickups though. sounds like ur just starting out so i'd get a decent starter amp, something like a line 6 spider III (they kinda suck but its a good place to start, i started with a spider II, they're pretty versatile but dont compare to tube amps). then think about switching out ur pickups. the pickups in epiphone les pauls suck but they do the job. the only good ones are in the elitist series. i've got an epiphone les paul and i just ordered a set of seymour duncan sh-2 jazz model, and a seymour duncan alnico II Pro to put into it. pretty stocked.