Was just wondering what everyones opinions were on the fundamentals of getting a good metal tone. It can be settings, gear or whatever.

I have been messing about with various different ideas today ya see, hence this random thread.
- high gain and high power amplifiers
- high output pickups
- palm muting in rhythm sections
- scooped mids (for most thrash influenced bands)

EDIT: this is an opinion of course
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
My opinion is that it's a matter of what you play instead of what kind of tone you're using.
controlled midrange, low end resonance, rich distortion and, most importantly, sheer volume.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Keskimaki
My opinion is that it's a matter of what you play instead of what kind of tone you're using.

Obviously accuracy and delivery is hugely significant, but if a tone sounds like ****, most people switch off and don't even consider what is being played.

I guess it works both ways.
Depends on what type of metal.

Anything from a Plexi up to a 6505.
Midrange Boost to Midrange Scoop.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Gain: not a ton else matters. Use minor pentatonic scales and apeggios for everything. Get a really powerful amplifier and crank up the distortion.
If you want more of a groove sound like Pantera, turn the bass up more. If you want a shredding sound like Metallica, turn the bass off And if you want a more classic metal sound like Judas Priest keep it about level with the treble up a bit and itll pick up its natural gain. Learn pinch harmonics (squelies) and I suggest learning Dimebag squelies too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpYcA9bSaU
Awesome technique to have
Quote by eurotrashed
Marshall MG

+1. Gain at 10, trebble at 10, mids at 0, bass at 10, volume at 10. That's a crushing metal tone right there.

/sarcasm
Enough gain to be heavy, but not noisy. Too much gain destroys the nuances of your playing, but too little makes your tone week.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by ameer
+1. Gain at 10, trebble at 10, mids at 0, bass at 10, volume at 10. That's a crushing metal tone right there.

/sarcasm

I actually got a not so terrible tone out of my old MG with the gain at 6, bass at 0 and the mids and treble cranked
Quote by Mark G

I was gona post that
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele