I'm going to be getting a new guitar really soon, and im probably going to buy a Gibson SG standard. Ive played it numerous times and i love it. I was on MusiciansFriend today, though, and they had a Robot SG for about 200 dollars cheaper then the SG standard. So, should i consider buying the robot over the standard? Whats the better guitar?
the Robot is basically an SG special that tunes itself, I'd go for the standard because unless you don't know how to tune a guitar you're really investing in a novelty. A proper SG will hold its value a lot better too I think
Quote by Nickster29
I'm going to be getting a new guitar really soon, and im probably going to buy a Gibson SG standard. Ive played it numerous times and i love it. I was on MusiciansFriend today, though, and they had a Robot SG for about 200 dollars cheaper then the SG standard. So, should i consider buying the robot over the standard? Whats the better guitar?

I'd buy the robot if its $200 dollars cheaper. They are typically the same thing except the robot guitar can tune its self and stuff.
Quote by EatShreddies
the Robot is basically an SG special that tunes itself, I'd go for the standard because unless you don't know how to tune a guitar you're really investing in a novelty. A proper SG will hold its value a lot better too I think

+1

I asked a similar question here recently and got told the same thing. The Standard's actually much better value.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Ok, i was probably going to go with the standard anyway, but wanted to make sure i wouldnt have been buying the wrong one. And if its just a self tuning special, the standard definitely sounds better.
I think the robot guitars are a mechanical nightmare waiting to happen. More moving automated parts = more problems.
Get an SG Diablo! LOL I just love that guitar.

I wouldn't touch a robot if they were selling it for half the price. All the ones I have played felt cheesy and played like crap. I wouldn't doubt as they get older there will be all sorts of problema and people will strip out all that crap and replace it with regular tuners and bridge set up. Right now it's a novelty and I'll bet by this time next year the Robots will be a thing of the past. In 50/60 years if there are some still around that still working they might be collectible. LOL

John
Depends on how often you change tunings. If your band has songs in diffrent tunings the crowd dont want to listen to you tune after every song.