Page 1 of 2
Which should I get, the MXR 10 band EQ or the ^ band one, Whats the difference??

I could probably get 2 6-bands instead of one 10 band...
the difference is that one has 10 bands and the other 6

and two 6 bands is pretty stupid
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by spaterman

I could probably get 2 6-bands instead of one 10 band...

if you were gonna buy TWO separate 6 band EQ's, why not just get the 10 band?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
The 6 band EQ doesn't have as many adjusters for EQing as the 10 band. The 10 band allows you to finely tune your tone but outside of recording, you can't really tell the difference.

I've considered buying a Bass EQ because they tend to be cheaper and have a larger range, and I play 8 and 7 string guitars which have that extended low end.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The 6 band EQ doesn't have as many adjusters for EQing as the 10 band. The 10 band allows you to finely tune your tone but outside of recording, you can't really tell the difference.

I've considered buying a Bass EQ because they tend to be cheaper and have a larger range, and I play 8 and 7 string guitars which have that extended low end.

If you do, you HAVE to share your experience with the legion...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
If you do, you HAVE to share your experience with the legion...

I'm not going to buy a bass EQ. They overlap the guitar EQ and have a lot of room over the top and bottom. It would have been more ideal to buy a bass EQ for the dragon and a guitar EQ for the quickrod but i figure this would be a better option...

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=EQ2015

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
10 band lets you single out freq's that you may have an issue singling out on a 6 band
10 band has a level and gain slider which can come in handy

I would take a 10 band over a 6 anyday...
two six bands is stupid. That doesn't allow you more frequencies, it would just boost or cut the same frequencies twice.

The 10 band MXR is a really nice pedal
Quote by eurotrashed
two six bands is stupid. That doesn't allow you more frequencies, it would just boost or cut the same frequencies twice.

The 10 band MXR is a really nice pedal

thanks for your replys, I meant with the 2 6-bands that I could get 2 different tones... but yea I dont need them.

the 6 band eq's sliders go to +18 and -18 the 10 band only goes to +12 I think (and -12).
is the 10 still the best to go for? It has a gain controll and a volume controll, what do they do and would I need them
you want the 10 band. it has a level slider and a gain slider on top of the 10 EQ bands. So you want it, reeeeal bad.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
go for the 10 band unless theres a serious price gap

the level/gain sliders are a damn useful feature
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
10 band.

The six band has more cut and boost because it doesn't have volume or gain controls. with the ten band if you maxxed everything on it you'd have a flat boost of 36 db, that's twice what the 6 band can do.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
10 Band if its all you can afford I have been looking at a Rack EQ

Dual 31 Band EQ Trying to get one for like 160 or so looking on Ebay
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-231-Dual-31Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=183527

which is great because a MXR 10 band is what? like 110$ or so?
and this has 31 bands forget limitations get control your sound...
lol
31 bands is more than you'll ever need, ten is just about overkill IMO.
Quote by Kevin Saale
31 bands is more than you'll ever need, ten is just about overkill IMO.

+1

And i'll agree even a 10 is a stretch, there's usually 1-2 sliders I rarely have to touch..
Well, if you are like me and love just sitting there and tweeking your sound then 31 is great and its just about the same price as a 10 band petal and its a rack which is nice and all steel which is also nice, but yes for most 31 is more then you will ever need and you will most likely not really tell the difference in sound, but if your going for totally custom sound thats the way to do it. and for only 40 more dollars you get so much more, like a different EQ setting for both channels. MXR can't do that.
That rack is almost 100 dollars more, sure you could get a used one for cheaper, but you could get a use 108 for cheaper too and it's just as durable if not more so since it has less sliders.
yeah, used you see those 10 bands for like 80$ and the rack for like 160 so its not that much more cash, I am only trying to show they guy there are other options out there like this
Dual 15 Band EQ the dual is the coolest part. 159 new you could find these used for less.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-215-Dual-15Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=183526
Exactly, you're really not getting anything more for the money. Anything below 60hz is pretty much useless unless you've got a 8 string or a baritone and anything above 16khz is pretty much useless unless you set your whammy to 2 octaves up.
That would be useful, much more so that a 31 band. If I was gonna spend the extra cash that would be the way to go. Fortunately I don't need an EQ at all with the amp I'm using.

In fact, if the TS wants I can sell him my MXR ten band for 70 + shipping, power supply not included.
The only reason I posted the dual 15 band is because I run a dual amp setup, and that EQ would allow me to adjust 2 amps separately from one unit.

Like Kevin said, EQ's tend to be larger than the guitar's frequency as is. The biggest advantage to having more sliders is more precision within range. Most seem to go from the area of about 40-16khz. Dividing that by 31 gives you more control than 10, however I doubt you will be able to dial in that many more tones.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yea I think the 10-band will do it! Is MXR one of the best eq pedals for the price?

Or should I buy a reverb pedal first?? lol
Would a 10band or 6band work alright(read: will it make a difference, is it even worth it) with a modeling amp, like a Microcube?

EDIT: my vote goes to the 10band if you can afford it.
Quote by RSX
Would a 10band or 6band work alright(read: will it make a difference, is it even worth it) with a modeling amp, like a Microcube?

Well I've heard that it is.
Quote by RSX

Honestly I prefer an eq in the effects loop 100% of the time so if your amp doesnt have one I really wouldnt bother. But that is my opinion...

Also its not going to make that noticable of a difference on a microcube when it comes to cost involved......
Quote by Jaekae
the difference is that one has 10 bands and the other 6

and two 6 bands is pretty stupid

Unless you put one before the preamp and one after it. Then 2 eqs can be rather useful.

But anyways you can get a used rackmount stereo eq off ebay for less than 150 a lot of the time. That's the way to go.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If your not picky.... Radioshack has rack mount Dual-Channel 15-Band Graphic Equalizer's for 69.99. Other used models I have seen go for $40-$150

I live in New Zealand. No radio shack here
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Well that sucks.... lol

Hey I see you have a valveking, Do you have any experience with bugera amps, do you know which one I should get?
Quote by spaterman
Hey I see you have a valveking, Do you have any experience with bugera amps, do you know which one I should get?

Yup that I do and have. What type of music do you play?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup that I do and have. What type of music do you play?

Van halen, guns n roses stuff like that.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I would probably go with a Bugera 333 the series of your choice...

Cool, I think I'll get the XL. Unless there's an other amp you can reccomend for that price.

thanks for your help!
Quote by spaterman
Cool, I think I'll get the XL. Unless there's an other amp you can reccomend for that price.

thanks for your help!

Used opens up alot of options if you can wait for something to pop up...
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Like what?
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Theres a 50w marshall JCM 900 combo second hand, for the same price as the bugera
Page 1 of 2