Hey guys, so a little bit about me. I'm not really a 'regular' on the forum, I lurk and post from time to time. I've been playing for about five years, all self taught. I started, because all of my close friends were getting into playing guitar, so whenever I hung out with them I was really bored. One of them also had a Peavey Milestone with Jazz pick-ups (that would eventually become my first bass), so I started plucking on that and found that I had a "knack" for playing the bass. Shortly thereafter I bought it, and the rest as they say is history...

I want to go ahead and apologize for the crappy pictures, my real camera is broken, so camera phone is all we have.
Without further ado, the rig.

My first proper bass amp was an Ibanez Soundwave 100 combo, with the 15 in. speaker, which I still have and leave it at my church for use with the worship band.

My amp for my main band is this:

The rack is, from top to bottom
Furman Power Conditioner
Korg Tuner
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Sansamp RBI
Hartke HA 5500

The power conditioner, tuner, and sonic maximizer are "standards" in my rig, as in those are things that I will probably use my entire playing career. Initially I used the RBI in the effects loop of my Hartke, using it solely for overdrive, but lately I've kind of lost my lust for gnarly overdriven tones and have replaced it with a lust for punchy clean tones, so now the settings of my Hartke are flat and the Sansamp shapes all of my tone. Some would suggest that I get a power-amp since I'm not really utilizing the Hartke that much, but I like the idea that I have back-up tone shaping if my Sansamp fails (which it has done before). That being said, the Sansamp is my tone and I love it to death.

The cab is an Avatar 410 neo, and it's extremely light and punchy. I plan on upgrading it soon, in hopes of getting a 412 or 810. Several times on Craigslist in my area I have seen ads with SVT 810s looking to downgrade and trade for a 410 or smaller-ish cab. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of these since I've gotten my Avatar But there's nothing really bad about the Avatar, it's been super reliable and I'm in no hurry to get rid of it.

Basses:
I only have two, but they both get used a decent amount.

Peavey Fury 5
This bass, I found at a pawn shop. I didn't really know a lot about it, I tried it out primarily because of it's looks, I am in LOVE with the color. I didn't know a lot about it's worth (and still don't), but it played well and felt nice, and was worth the $300 price tag to me so I put down a $60 deposit that day. That was a couple days before my 18th birthday. I told my dad I had done it, and he was asking me stuff about it, like which pawn shop it was, how much I put down, how much was own, etc. just kind of doing the dad thing and making sure I knew what I was doing kind of stuff. Well when I came home from school on my 18th birthday, it was hanging on my wall, so it was a really cool surprise. It sounds super smooth, and has a nice three band EQ. The bass boost is really strong, I can't turn it up more than 40% without shaking the house and turning my tone to bassy poo.

I don't want to "gloat" with a show pic, but it's really the best one to show off how beautiful this thing is.

Fender MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special
This bass was my main instrument for two and a half years, until I got my Peavey. This bass is used much more in the worship band than my other band, which is metal-ish. Not saying that the P-bass isn't metal, because I've played it many times at gigs and it certainly can do it. I favored it heavily at first because it was much easier to get a grinding overdriven tone from the P-bass and the Sansamp, but like I said I just fell out of love with that type of tone. It has the P and J pick-up combos, but I have never used any blend of the two, I really just got it for the active p-pick up, the J is just a little bonus that is rarely used. It has two bands of EQ, and they're useful and not quite as overpowering as the Peavey's EQ. It sounds like a P-bass. I did take off the gold annodized pickguard. Many people who have this bass complain that it's difficult to find replacement guards and I will testify to that. I just bought a standard p guard in black, and drilled the extra hole. Because of that, the tone knob is a little bit offset from the rest, but it doesn't put any stress on the wires underneath and isn't extremely noticable. I actually think it gives it kind of a "custom" look, and I like it.

I have pedals but don't use them much. I use them much more for guitar (I have a Squier Standard Telecaster), but I have a Zoom BII Ibanez Phathead and Korg pedal tuner.

Future gear upgrades?
Like I said, I wouldn't mind having a bigger cab. SVT 810, also GK makes a 412 I'd be interested in checking out. I'm planning on buying a new bass after Christmas, but I'm not sure at all what I want. I've gone from wanting a high end LTD, to a lower end Spector, and right now I'm looking at some Ibanez Soundgears. I'll probably post something when I make a choice and bring it home.

I play in a band called These Dying Days. I'd say it's metalcore-ish, I don't know I don't like putting my own band in a genre but we're heavily influenced by Norma Jean and Everytime I Die and stuff like that.
www.myspace.com/thesedyingdaysmusic
I dislocated my kneecap and tore cartilage jumping off a monitor about a month ago, and had surgery a couple of weeks ago, so we've canceled all our shows and are taking a "break" until January.

Anyways, that's it guys. Hope you enjoy.
nice SNES

EDIT: Like your rig as well, any more on the Hartke?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Dec 1, 2008,
Nice article dude!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
That's one helluva rack you got there. I'd be interested in getting a bigger rack m'self, but can't seem to mull over the cost of a new rack case.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Im just awed at how big your rack is...that thing is huge...

And whats the point of spending a ton of money for a rackmount tuner when you could just get a handheld one?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
^ When you start to gig all the time and play longer sets and need to tune inbetween songs on dark stages where you can't even see your feet, you'll know why.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Ok, I thought it was something like that.I dont really have much giging experience.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Pedal tuners are a pretty decent alternative.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, check out the Artec one that I use.

It's not let me down. Sturdy little thing too!

True bypass, and you need sunglasses its that bright!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Nice setup you got goin there.
And wow, that rack...
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Am I the only one that giggles like an asshole every time somebody says "rack?"

Anyway, nice gear, especially the Peavey. I have a Peavey Fury VI but I don't think the color can compare to that.
That is one nice rig. I'm jealous. I hope your knee gets better!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Hergiswi
Am I the only one that giggles like an asshole every time somebody says "rack?"

Anyway, nice gear, especially the Peavey. I have a Peavey Fury VI but I don't think the color can compare to that.

My asshole has never "giggled".

Nice rig, huge rack.

*asshole giggles*
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
I was borrowing a Peavey Fury V exactly like that from one of my friends. I enjoy them much, nice rig!
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Thanks for all the complements guys!

The Hartke (for whoever asked) is a solid head on it's own, it's got an amazing tone but for some reason it is extremely finicky towards overdrive. I think it has something to do with the head typically having a lot of mid, and every overdrive pedal I've used on it I've had to EQ out different parts of it to kind of hit the sweet spot. It's extremely reliable though, and I probably wouldn't have much trouble taking my sansamp out all together and just using the Hartke. I love the Tube and Solid State preamps, and I've never come close to pushing it on volume. The only complaint I have is it's a little on the heavy side, before I got the rack the head weighed more than my cab did. But that's what roadies are for!

Forgot to mention, I use D'addario XL roundwound strings (whichever is the step down in brightness from pro steels) and I play with a pick around a quarter of the time, so I use stagg brand picks in a 1.50ish thickness. And they fit snugly between my bridge pick-up and the body of my bass.
Yes...let me tell you all how much fun it is to go into a music store as a female and tell them you are looking to buy a new rack or a big muff. Though its fun to make sales guys blush.

That is one nice looking Peavey btw. And let that knee heal properly--take it from someone who knows.
Quote by anarkee
Yes...let me tell you all how much fun it is to go into a music store as a female and tell them you are looking to buy a new rack or a big muff. Though its fun to make sales guys blush.

It's very, very childish of me but I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face. >_>

Nice gear, man. That rack must have set you back a fair bit?
What have you done to your knee, anarkee? This is my second injury to it, about two years ago I tore my MCL and PCL and then a month ago is when I dislocated the knee cap and tore cartilage. So I'm definitely sick of it being hurt, I'm doing therapy and all that fun stuff. I'm no stranger to using crutches :/

The rack, actually wasn't as expensive as it looks, but mostly because I bought it all used.

The Hartke was the most expensive, it was new but marked down to $400. The RBI was $200 (the same price as the pedal version new), and I bought the rack case with the power condiitoner, tuner, and maximizer for $270.

So $870 for it all.
That's actually nowhere near as expensive as I thought it would be. Nice finds. o_o
Wait, you paid $270 for a 362 Sonic Maximizer!?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Wait, you paid $270 for a 362 Sonic Maximizer!?

$270 for that, the rack case, the tuner and the power conditioner is I am reading it correctly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by BlueShox
no $270 for the rack case and tuner and conditioner and maximizer

*facepalm*

Quote by Cody_Grey102
Your band is really good man! You guys really have that sound nailed.
That Peavey is super hot by the way
do you like the sw100?
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!