Poll: Can war be morally justified?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can war be morally justified?
War can be necessary.
208 62%
War can not be morally justified.
105 32%
Don't know.
20 6%
Voters: 333.
Page 1 of 6
So Pit, I am writing an essay on Pacifism and I thought it would be interesting to hear what you think.

Can war ever be morally justified?

Edit: I have never claimed to believe in Pacifism, I am merely curious.
Last edited by Patrick786 at Dec 1, 2008,
Yes, look at Pearl Harbor. How would you feel if a relative of yours died in that attack?
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
Quote by Patrick786
So Pit, I am writing an essay on Pacifism and I thought it would be interesting to hear what you think.

Can war ever be morally justified?

Take it to the war justification thread!

yes.

just think revolutionary war or something
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

"I am Jack's complete lack of suprise"
If it's the war on nasty things that live in your U bend, causing your toilet to overflow and wreck the carpet then yes, yes it can
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Also, war changes the course of history more than any other event! (Learned that in Poly-Sci class!)
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
Why don't the people who started the war fight each other, instead of getting thousands of innocent, misguided people to die in their name.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
yes.

what if Hitler and the Nazis simply started killing Jews, but didn't start WWII? What if it all happened inside Germany, and they didn't do anything to anyone else in any other country? would you be opposed to starting a war with them to stop that type of activity?

i think in a situation like that war is justified.

i think fighting a war in defense is ok too. i mean i don't see any reason why a country should allow themselves to be attacked and taken over.
You're damn right it can.

Pacifists, yeah you guys are cool and all, but pacifism isn't going to get sh*t done.

War gets sh*t done.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by daytripper75
yes.

what if Hitler and the Nazis simply started killing Jews, but didn't start WWII? What if it all happened inside Germany, and they didn't do anything to anyone else in any other country? would you be opposed to starting a war with them to stop that type of activity?

We only found out about concentration camps and what he was doing to Jews after we joined the war...
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by rabidguitarist
Why don't the people who started the war fight each other, instead of getting thousands of innocent, misguided people to die in their name.

I take back what i said,and to quote this ,Rabidguitarist instead.

+1
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
War can be justified when the aim and result of the war is securing the lives, freedom and human rights of many many people. Basically the cost of the war justifies the results, or at least trying to get the results.

Otherwise: NO
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Wulphy
We only found out about concentration camps and what he was doing to Jews after we joined the war...

i realize this. what i'm saying is that if something like that was happening, and we knew about it, i think a war is justified to stop it.
yes it can. i want what youve got so ill fight you for it. different people have different morals so you cant say its either right or wrong
Quote by DirtyMakik
Pointless threads like those make me cry my bloody cum out.
Quote by daytripper75
i realize this. what i'm saying is that if something like that was happening, and we knew about it, i think a war is justified to stop it.

Ahh. Yes, I agree with you.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by daytripper75

Depending on what it is though!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by rabidguitarist

Because these innocent, misguided people might have the same purposes as the people who started the war. Just throwing it out there...
Quote by daytripper75

I don't reckon War would be the best, or first, course of action to stop it though.

It is incredibly difficult to justify a war.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I kinda think WWII was justified as it was a war to end the tyranny of Fascism and oppression in the world....But...

War is a vile thing, it should be the very last thing ANY politician has to do to restore peace and justice in the world.

War solves very little.
Sure..WWII ended the German, Italian and Japanese oppression, but it sparked the Cold War and 50 years of tit-for-tat wars between 3rd World Countries killing hundreds of thousands, even millions, while millions were slaughtered in 6 years of conflict to try end these types of things happeneing ever again.

Truman and Stalin were a bunch of cockbags after the War.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I don't reckon War would be the best, or first, course of action to stop it though.

It is incredibly difficult to justify a war.

i know. but if it came to war, i believe in a situation like that it would be justified.
I'll give you my take:

Morality and war can not coincide considering the most fundamental aspect of morality is that it is subjective to culture, nurture, region, and such. Morality is also embedded (to an extent) in each individual. For example, most people find it immoral to rape or murder. Those who find it acceptable generally go through phases that turn them into an immoral person (one who is capable without a moral bar to proceed with otherwise immoral acts). The word "war" needs to be replaced with genocide, murder, innocent deaths, and such. "War" is easy to justifiy, however most people would be appalled by the idea of genocide and innocent deaths (which is what war, especially these days, comes down too).

Can war be justified? Sure. Does this make it right? Not necessarily. Justification doesn't prove "right" or "wrong."

For your paper you should get into the philosophical ideas behind war.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Like, in a cage match?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by fsae0607
Yes, look at Pearl Harbor. How would you feel if a relative of yours died in that attack?

I think this statement puts me on the side of "No, war cannot be justified"...

Revenge to me, is not a reasonable excuse to take lives...

But, I did put "War can be necessary" on the poll, because it's a question of sovereignty and the role of a global community.

- If our neighbours wife is being beaten by him... Should we go in to stop it?

How about civil war? If our own governments were treating us unfairly do we have the right and moral justification to up rise against oppressive forces?

- I think so!
I don't think you can. There are other ways of solving conflicts other than war, other than violence. It's avoidable therefore you can't justify it to be right if there is another way.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Moggan13
I kinda think WWII was justified as it was a war to end the tyranny of Fascism and oppression in the world....But...

War is a vile thing, it should be the very last thing ANY politician has to do to restore peace and justice in the world.

War solves very little.
Sure..WWII ended the German, Italian and Japanese oppression, but it sparked the Cold War and 50 years of tit-for-tat wars between 3rd World Countries killing hundreds of thousands, even millions, while millions were slaughtered in 6 years of conflict to try end these types of things happeneing ever again.

Truman and Stalin were a bunch of cockbags after the War.

Exactly this.
if u are not willing to defend urself, some extremists somewhere will kill u, no questions asked. its human nature sadly...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by roshjosh
I think this statement puts me on the side of "No, war cannot be justified"...

Revenge to me, is not a reasonable excuse to take lives...

i wouldn't consider a situation like Pearl Harbor and WWII revenge.
Quote by rabidguitarist

+123

War is only justifiable if it's for a good cause, such as saving the Jews from Hitler
But if it's just about your belief in a god or whether or not Vladimir Putin should get his pb&j sandwiches from India is just stupid
Yes. Some people only understand the language of violence, sometimes there's just no way a diplomatic solution can be achieved.
Quote by daytripper75
yes.

i think fighting a war in defense is ok too. i mean i don't see any reason why a country should allow themselves to be attacked and taken over.

If you're being attacked by a country then it's already war. If you stopped every war in the world, there wouldn't have been attacks to jews in the first place since those attacks towards the jew were already classified as war.

War can not be justified. If war stopped existing, there would be peace forever.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by XxLloydxX
If you're being attacked by a country then it's already war. If you stopped every war in the world, there wouldn't have been attacks to jews in the first place since those attacks towards the jew were already classified as war.

War can not be justified.

rounding up Jews and killing them is considered war?

that is news to me.
War should be the absolute last resort. But it can be necessary. In a world of universal respect of human life, integrity, and understanding, it wouldn't be. But here's some shocking news: this world is full of murder and depravity.

EDIT: And let me also point out that you cannot live your life on an emotional plateau.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Dec 1, 2008,
Yes, war can be justified. Afghanistan?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by Wulphy
You're damn right it can.

Pacifists, yeah you guys are cool and all, but pacifism isn't going to get sh*t done.

War gets sh*t done.

Only twits who have never, and probably will never experience the realities of war have this attitude.

That said, while it's incredibly rare, I think there have been instances when war's been necessary.