Hey. so i have a very large amoutn of guitars, and i have played for quite some time, but only once had i ever switched guitar pickups so i figure i'll get advice this time! So i have a new Epihpone Les Paul studio in ebony, and i am thinking of changing the pickups in it. Now i play a wide range from the Beatles to classic Metal (Judas Priest, Sabbath etc.) and i'm not quite sure what brand of humbucker would fit that. I need very powerful distortion, but great tone everywhere else. I am kinda thinking EMGs, but i still don't know, so what do you UGers think? if any more info is needed, just ask.
Are you gonna go my way? ...No seriously dude, are you? Cause i gotta get a ride
I have the epi paul plus top HC - and I'm thinking of putting the equal to the '58 or '59 burstbuckers in mine. I think you can get the same thing from Gibson, Dimarzio, etc.

I play about the same things as you.

A good distortion or overdrive pedal might change your mind on the changeout though.
cws92
If you have a large amount of guitars why do you need this one to do it all?

Im just messing. It's incredibly hard to get all those tones, especially on an Epi studio.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Oh haha on pedals i'm set. Over 25 pedals/effects boards i have. But thank you for the info i appreciate it! I'm open to all suggestions
Are you gonna go my way? ...No seriously dude, are you? Cause i gotta get a ride
Yeah it is, i think part of me just ones to kinda customize a guitar a good deal perhaps
By the way chuck, great picture, Lennon is my idol
Bareknuckle

best ones around, easily fit a Les Paul, I recommend Warpig, or maybe mircle man.

Warpig Review (PDF)
Miricle Man Review not a PDF

Good Luck.

EDIT: Probably Warpig is better for you, but you won't be dissapointed, Bareknuckle are handmade in the UK and are of best quality. Miricle Man is better if you never turn distortion off, and they're both a bit on the expensive side, but if that doesn't matter you'll love them.

Good Look (Again )
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by TiptonPhantom
By the way chuck, great picture, Lennon is my idol

The reason i play music.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Sorry about that guys! And yes John Lennon is the reason i play as well. Thank you all so much for the suggestions! It sounds good on its own, but i just want to customize it... does anybody know how good the Tony Iommi Pickups sound? i have an Epi. Iommi Sg, so would it be like that?

What i mean is, are they really the same pickups?
Last edited by TiptonPhantom at Dec 3, 2008,
Probably not. Aren't the Iommi's around $150 each?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by TiptonPhantom
Hey. so i have a very large amoutn of guitars, and i have played for quite some time, but only once had i ever switched guitar pickups so i figure i'll get advice this time! So i have a new Epihpone Les Paul studio in ebony, and i am thinking of changing the pickups in it. Now i play a wide range from the Beatles to classic Metal (Judas Priest, Sabbath etc.) and i'm not quite sure what brand of humbucker would fit that. I need very powerful distortion, but great tone everywhere else. I am kinda thinking EMGs, but i still don't know, so what do you UGers think? if any more info is needed, just ask.

EMGs have terrible cleans. You're probably best of getting a passive set.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Hmm ok. How about Seymour Ds?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Not a good value for someone in the US.

What do you feel is lacking about the pickups in there right now?

BTW, avoid double (triple!) posting, and edit your post.

one more time.

we can't recommend you pickups until we know what you want from your tone.

Quote by V.U.K
EMGs have terrible cleans. You're probably best of getting a passive set.

EMGs 60's have pretty good cleans.
Nothing is really lacking, i'm just experimenting, basically i want more crunch, but still good tone overall
Quote by TiptonPhantom
Oh haha on pedals i'm set. Over 25 pedals/effects boards i have. But thank you for the info i appreciate it! I'm open to all suggestions

wtf, are you Yoda?

Duncan Custom 5 bridge, 59 neck
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com