Salut!

I need some opinions on a humbucker set for a Ibanez SA120. I play mostly alternative rock (think The Kooks, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Killers, foo Fighters, that sort of stuff and looking for a "british" tone"

I will be playing on a Laney VC30-112 (arriving in a few days, has a Celestion 70/80 speaker) which will be modded with a Fane AXA-12 speaker in the near future.

My current pickups are a jeff beck-jazz set from SD. Got them cheap, they were sorta nice at the beginning but they're really not for me.

So, I can choose from the following brands: Seymour Duncan, EMG, Schaller (never heard of 'em), DiMarzio, Shadow, Bulldog (are these any good? the price is too high not to notice) and Gibson (interested in these too, never heard one up close) pickups.

Honestly, I don't know **#@ about pickups. Bought the jb-jazz cause they were very cheap and read good reviews.

So... shoot!
Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and Dimarzio PAF PRO in the neck should fit your style of your music.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
..Why don't you wait until your Laney gets there, play it for a week or two, THEN decide what's lacking about your pickups?

Also, why already changing the speaker? You should get to know your tone before you decide what needs to be changed.
And why FANE? I've never heard anyone else upgrading to one. There are several Eminence models that are popular in a Laney.
sorry for not helping but the JB are not Jeff Becks pickups...thats just a common misunderstanding
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Blacken Seas
Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and Dimarzio PAF PRO in the neck should fit your style of your music.

Seriously? Aren't DiMarzio more for metal-heads and all that? Just asking, cause evryone I know that uses them generally play metal or "extreme" genre.

Why don't you wait until your Laney gets there, play it for a week or two, THEN decide what's lacking about your pickups?

For the sake of this topic please answer my question. I am pretty much set on changing them, but I didnt say I'm not going to give them a chance. And I can't get my hands on Eminence over here. I basicly have Celestion and Fane to choose from. As wierd as that sounds.

edit: Otsugua713 - thanks mate, I didn't know that.
Last edited by Dev23 at Dec 1, 2008,
Maybe look at the set by SD that contains the SH-11 and the TB-11. I think it is called the custom custom. Used by Josh Homme of QOTSA and by Clint Lowery of Sevendust. So it would be able to get you a semi mellow alt rock sound or full on high gain if you needed.
Quote by dumbasss
Go get some bareknuckle pickups, the best stuff out there!!

Go get some learning, its better than ****ty pups!
bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker from hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I've played my current guitar setup on a Peavey Valve King, Fenders (various solid and tube) and a whlole lot of crap amps. They seem to me just too dark, I dunno how to say it in english. Not clear maybe.
now on a helping note, swaping pickups is not about improving tone as someone said above me...welll maybe to some extent if your guitar has crappy pickups...but changing pickups is more about fine tuning your sound
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by forsaknazrael
^precisely.

Well, the JB is a bright pickup. And the VC30 is a bright amp. Wait until it gets there, trust me. Then you can see what's lacking, and decide what more you want for your tone.

Your moms a bright amp.
Quote by Otsugua713
now on a helping note, swaping pickups is not about improving tone as someone said above me...welll maybe to some extent if your guitar has crappy pickups...but changing pickups is more about fine tuning your sound

Well it was fine tuning that I was looking for in the first place. Like I said, I'm looking for something that will allow me to shape my own brit rock tone on the VC30.

Your moms a bright amp.

lol, try to be helpfull please.
I have a DiMarzio Super 2 at the neck (super distortion for the neck) and i dont play metal