Page 1 of 2
I'm ready to paint my strat's body and I was considering what t o do with ideas. I wanted to do a frakenstrat paint job but then realized it might be too clishe. I also considered just painting it either solid black or solid white but that might be too boring. Is the frankenstrat paint theme just a giant clishe now? I want something cool looking, but original.

EDIT. Yeah, it says "frankenstrat" in my sig, but it has no paint so....
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Dec 1, 2008,
kind of, yeah. in the sense that EVERY kid had one at one point (myself included).

I am VH's biggest fan but I think if you did something more toward your own tastes it would identify you and instrument a little better.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Do your idea of all black or all white, but do a stencil over top, it'll be unique, moreso than VH's.
------

Shwiggity.
I think the EVH red white and black is overdone. Maybe Frankenstrat it, but with a couple different colors, like black and gold or something like that.

EDIT: Al DiMeola's PRS rainbow burst looks amazing, doing something like that would be great.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Dec 1, 2008,
http://www.zippo.com/Products/Heritage/24150-000001.aspx?RowStart=&ZippoProductNumber=24150-000001&section=Heritage

i dont think ive seen that on a guitar....you could do it in black and white....
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Quote by qotsa1998
I think the EVH red white and black is overdone. Maybe Frankenstrat it, but with a couple different colors, like black and gold or something like that.

Been done-ish. Kramer or Charvel have done a black and yellow one.

Maybe just go for something original, something psychodelic. Make someone feel as if they're on LSD. You'll probably get bored of the EVH style anyways.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Been done-ish. Kramer or Charvel have done a black and yellow one.

Maybe just go for something original, something psychodelic. Make someone feel as if they're on LSD. You'll probably get bored of the EVH style anyways.

O.K. what about mixing spray paints for some wild ****?
Quote by fastlanestoner
kind of, yeah. in the sense that EVERY kid had one at one point (myself included).

I am VH's biggest fan but I think if you did something more toward your own tastes it would identify you and instrument a little better.

I didn't. And don't plan on it :O

And yes it's overdone.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
Quote by JDizzle787
reverse sunburst!
yet to see it on a guitar. it looks weird in kiasakae though

but how is it done?
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
Its not even a good looking paint job.. but most of them arent.
Solid colors or simple bursts just look better most of the time...but there are exceptions
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

To answer the thread's question:

No. It's not overdone, the few true Frankenstrat painted guitars look great, however nowadays kids just think that taping up a guitar or painting "random" stripes of two or three colours looks cool. Well, it doesn't
I've never like the frankenstrat stripes. It looks awful.
I like solid colors with pickguards.
Go for an 80's style: Daygo neon colours. Pink, yellow, green. MUST be bright!
When i build my RG im painting it fluorescent red
Quote by Punk_Ninja
To answer the thread's question:

No. It's not overdone, the few true Frankenstrat painted guitars look great, however nowadays kids just think that taping up a guitar or painting "random" stripes of two or three colours looks cool. Well, it doesn't

Well IF I did do one I would want it to look good and not crap because I've only ever seen one homemade one that was amazing and the rest were crap.

Check out this kid's Franken...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811872&page=1&pp=20
I think it's overdone as well, and I think the rainbow burst just might be the ticket to cool-dom. I don't know if you'll do it, but it might actually be really cool....
Quote by lumberjack
I think it's overdone as well, and I think the rainbow burst just might be the ticket to cool-dom. I don't know if you'll do it, but it might actually be really cool....

But HOW would I do it?
I joined this forum to first reply to this post. NO its not over done! Not if you love it! Who the hell (besides die-hard fans) starts striping their guitars anymore anyway?

I did a black and yellow one to pay tribute to Dimebag, and now I just bought a white strat body to make a relic 1984 guitar. They are so much fun and when the time is taken to do them right they kick ass!!

it was overdone in the 80s when you could buy a copy from the sears catalog for 60 bucks. but if it was over done in the 80s and 90s and has had a decade and a half to subside does that make it less overdone? hmmmm.
Quote by mtsalmela80
I joined this forum to first reply to this post. NO its not over done! Not if you love it! Who the hell (besides die-hard fans) starts striping their guitars anymore anyway?

I did a black and yellow one to pay tribute to Dimebag, and now I just bought a white strat body to make a relic 1984 guitar. They are so much fun and when the time is taken to do them right they kick ass!!

kinda answers my statement lol. if someone else says its a good idea and then paints one up to pay tribute to "diamond" then it is surely a bad idea
Everything including my post is just an opinion, so who is going to win the argument?

Id rather have interesting looking guitars that I myself enjoy rather than paint it black on black just so the masses dont say "oh look what a copycat, another Van Halen paint job".
im not arguing im just stating an opinion. he asked if it is overdone. i said since it isnt as popular as it was in the 80s or 90s than its possibly not overdone. then you posted a pic of your guitar. which in my opinion is quite silly. painting a guitar van halenish with halloween colors to tribute a dead over-rated guitarist. that in itself makes it a *****able idea. even more *****able than the numerous "diamond" tribute dean guitars. but its your guitar. paint it how you wish. just dont expect anybody else to like it.
Last edited by jymellis at Dec 16, 2008,
how about sanding it down really smooth and applying a few coats of tung oil for a natural finish?
tribute a dead over-rated guitarist

Well if your an arrogant prick who is going to sit here and say Dimebag Darrell is overrated then I assume you dont like anything, even yourself. Good luck with that.
Quote by mtsalmela80
Well if your an arrogant prick who is going to sit here and say Dimebag Darrell is overrated then I assume you dont like anything, even yourself. Good luck with that.

and if your an idolizing douchebag that worships a fat guy in spandex named "diamond" then you need alot more help than i can offer.
Quote by mtsalmela80
I suppose the guitarist from GWAR is more to your technical level.

which one, they have 2. or are you spouting off on something you have no idea about but read on my profile?
Quote by mtsalmela80

I should probably report you for randomly insulting people, but I won't. Smarten up. And by the way that was terribly worded.

Personally I don't think the Frankenstrat is that overdone, but consider this.
Would you buy a Van Halen signature model?
The same should go for making one. Making a FrankenStrat is the same as buying a signature model. If you don't want the connotations, don't do it.

And it was NEVER going to be original anyway if it's a copy of somebody else's guitar.
Creativity is dead. Lets all buy Black Jacksons and chug the low E string really fast.

Is that the idea?
actually i prefer to chug the low B of my 7 string ibanez. you have to be a lil more creative than chugging a low E now adays.
Quote by mtsalmela80
Creativity is dead. Lets all buy Black Jacksons and chug the low E string really fast.

Is that the idea?

Real creative, to copy somebody else's own, unique guitar.
Page 1 of 2