Hi,

I'm completely new to this and was looking to buy a (very) cheap guitar online to try out. So far, I've been leaning towards nylon/classical but found this Panache guitar on ebay, claiming to work with both steel and nylon strings. Is this a scam or can this actually be a playable guitar for the price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANACHE-Acoustic-Classical-Guitar-NYLON-STEEL-STRINGS_W0QQitemZ130272897444QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item130272897444&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thanks for any help!
well you see my friend a classical guitar consists of 3 nylon strings and 3 steel ones (not the same steel as on standard guitars) so technically yes it is the real deal
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
i would serious suggest that you DO NOT BUY THAT GUITAR.
it will not turn out to be as awsome as it sounds, heres why:
-theres a reason there aren't more guitars like this, it doesn't work
-the tension difference between the two different types of strings is HUGE,
theres is absolutely no way that it will maintain any kind of good tone with the different string tensions.
-the person above obviously doesnt know what he's talking about because half the string are NOT steel they are NYLON with a silver or bronze coating, steel strings have an average of 10 pounds (i think, if not its more) more tension than nylonstrings, that 60 pounds (probably more) more pressure total
-this is not the guitar to get, i promise anyone who buys it will regret it,
the person selling it is probably an idiot trying to scam somebody and if you string it with steel strings you will most likey pull the bridge right off the top
-panache is a knockoff company from texas, they specialize in bootleg versions of gibsons, you can't expect much from them (besides the all the reasons THAT guitar would be a horrible choice) DO NOT BUY
Last edited by [DookieShoes] at Dec 1, 2008,
It's advertised as classical/steel string, but im not sure if "being able to use it as both" is what they really meant.

A classical guitar, strung with nylon strings, has 3 nylon only strings and 3 steel wound nylon core strings. I think that's what they might have meant.

There's no way that you can build a good guitar that can use all steel strings or classical strings interchangeably. A steel string guitar needs MUCH more bracing than a classical guitar. This means that if you were to put classical strings on a steel string, it just wouldn't sound good because the nylon strings don't produce enough energy to move the soundboard.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ok, got it. That's what I was afraid of as I've heard that nylon string guitars can't be strung with steel so I was just confused. Thanks a bunch for the info!
I've seen plenty of guitars that can be used with both nylon and steel strings - they're called steel string guitars - but good luck trying to get a decent sound out of them with nylon strings. The fact that the advertisement notes that both can be used is a big red flag that the guitar is for an unwitting buyer and will sound like garbage. Stay away from it.

Quote by captivate
There's no way that you can build a good guitar that can use all steel strings or classical strings interchangeably. A steel string guitar needs MUCH more bracing than a classical guitar. This means that if you were to put classical strings on a steel string, it just wouldn't sound good because the nylon strings don't produce enough energy to move the soundboard.

Captivate knows whats up.
Quote by finixfrost
Ok, got it. That's what I was afraid of as I've heard that nylon string guitars can't be strung with steel so I was just confused. Thanks a bunch for the info!

Well they can be. But your guitar will be warped so badly that it will actually bend. It the bridge doesn't snap off alltogether.
Let me make this very, very clear and simple. With acoustics, in general, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Unlike amps and quite a few electrics, the cheaper the guitar, generally the crappier. I would NEVER buy an acoustic under $100. They will most definately suck. Of course there are the exceptions. My Takamine G320. $150, amazing starter/beat around guitar. Great tone, great action, and great playability.

My advice would be to search around local pawn shops and your local craigslist. You don't want to get an absolute POS that turns you away from playing acoustic because of how horrible it is.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
(Please let me set one thing straight. Like Captivate already pointed out, a set of nylon strings does NOT include steels. The lower strings have metal winding, but the cores inside are nylon just like the rest)

I am very curious about the quality of this guitar. It costs only half of what you pay for an ordinary not so very good but reasonably priced guitar. But many of these $100,- cheapies are playable and do produce some sort of sound. I really wonder what this one does. Explode as soon as you tighten the strings? If it really does work (a bit) something else may be terribly wrong with it. Perhaps it was made by abused children that are held captive in a dark basement somewhere in a poor country ruled by a cruel and corrupt government. Or is it merely that a a clever Chinese engineer invented a procedure to cast guitars in one go out of a mixture of sawdust, paper mache and resin?
I'd really like to try one. One way or another it's setting a whole new standard.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Dec 2, 2008,
That guitar is really just your basic everyday Classical style guitar. It's stated as such at the site linked to above in the TS's original post. There's really nothing special or interesting about it. It's said to have Martin Classical steel strings on it new, but will sound just as good with the standard nylons. This leads me to believe that there's something goofy going on with the nut. Either it's been cut for nylons or it's been cut for steels. If cut for nylons, then a set of steels would be so loose in the nut slots you'd have tuning and rolling issues at the nut, which can throw off the intonation for open chords and notes. If cut for steels, then the nylons won't fit in them. You can't have the best of both worlds here. My opinion would be to steer clear of this one.
well, considering that classical guitar strings are half nylon and half steel, yeah this could be legit. I would be careful about buying cheapo/no name guitars on Ebay. My sister bought a really cheap acoustic that looked decent, but when she got it, was horrible quality and basically sucked. Good luck
Trust me, believe in me, read these words carefully, I have experimented by putting 3 dreadnought strings on the bottom three strings (E,A and D) of my classical and the result is... they sound dull. This applies for semi classical guitars too.
Classical strings are not half nylon and half steel. The "steel" strings in a classical set are nylon core, and the wrap material is different. Pretty much everything DookieShoes said is right. Except steel string guitars have more even more tension than that: It's closer to 200 lbs total tension. Thats enough to completely annihilate a classical guitar.

Also, GC shred off, I have tried putting nylon strings on a steel string guitar before. The strings snapped before they came up to pitch because the scale of a steel string is much longer.
its gonna be really crappy

it won't stay "in tune" but if you don't know what "in tune" is then it doesn't really matter.
I once strung my cheapo classical with steel strings, it sounded good and stayed in tune okayish, but the added tension eventually broke the cheap plastic tuningknobs.

If you want to have both, better have two different guitars. Any kind of mix is always a compromise.