Hey,

i was curious about big (not necessarily big but known) artists who use SS amps over tube amps. Im sure there arent many but i was pretty curious. I didnt know Dime used SS amps back in the day which is kind of what gave me this curiosity.
wayne static is the only one i know of off the top of my head.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Darkice
A lot of them use them for recording.

why is that, and can you go into detail?

i would guess they prefer to use tube for gigs because of the tone at high vols (mayb, mayb not?) and i dont really have much of a clue as to why they would use ss for recording. preference maybe? better sounds at lower volumes?
doesn't B.B. King use a jazz chorus?
Quote by FunkasPuck
i swear, we are like the small gloucestershire village of the internet: we try god bless us, but we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
why is that, and can you go into detail?

i would guess they prefer to use tube for gigs because of the tone at high vols (mayb, mayb not?) and i dont really have much of a clue as to why they would use ss for recording. preference maybe? better sounds at lower volumes?

All artists theoretically use transistor amps live(that is in the PA) and the tube amp + mic setup effectively is only a preamp/signal processor
Because they sound better at low volumes, as where to get a Good tone out of a tube you need to crank it.
of course for recording they use more EQ and effects then live.
John Fogerty of CCR has been using SS amps for ages.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by 1337void
All artists theoretically use transistor amps live(that is in the PA) and the tube amp + mic setup effectively is only a preamp/signal processor

Not all.
My favorite Band doesn't and a lot of others don't, but yeah a lot do, go about it that way.
TONS of "big" artists use the roland jazz chorus

I mean a lot

like james hetfield
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Dec 1, 2008,
so then heres my next question.. if these artists are still using SS amps at some point, whats the big hype about Tube/Valve amps? There are quite a few people on here that made me feel like if you dont have a tube amp you aint got ****.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
so then heres my next question.. if these artists are still using SS amps at some point, whats the big hype about Tube/Valve amps? There are quite a few people on here that made me feel like if you dont have a tube amp you aint got ****.

Those people are just dicks. It's not a case of one being better than the other, it's about personal preference.

Also, more on topic, Trent Reznor uses solid state amps (Line 6 Vetta), as do Radiohead (same amp, although I think only for recording).
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Dec 1, 2008,
Its the same argument as Active vs Passive Pickups, which is better? the answer is nether they both have pluses and minuses Its all about the sound and style you like.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx

Most people playing blues or classic rock are almost always gonna prefer tube over solid state.

That being said BB king used a lab systems for a while, I do believe he's back to the twin reverb now, though don't quote me.

Plenty of metal and sludge metal artists use SS. Lots of death metal bands use those older ampeg vh140c and it's derivatives because they have assloads of gain and are brutal as feck.

It's not that SS amps are bad, they just don't sound as good to most people for most genres.

I prefer tube amps simply for the dynamics, power amp distortion and the general clarity. SS amps all seem muddy to me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by monkey_dancer
Those people are just dicks. It's not a case of one being better than the other, it's about personal preference.

yeah i suppose it really depends what your trying to get out of it. I never really thought either one would be better then the other (even know some people make it out to be something different) because i would think that both have their ups and downs, and are better used for different things.

like earlier in the thread when someone said something about SS for recording and Tube for Gig. i guess it really doesnt matter, as much as anyone makes you believe it does matter.

this kind of reminds me of a dime quote i saw i while back. i dont remember exactly what is said but it was something like " to someone you could be playing the ****tiest chords, and have horrible tone; but to someone else you could be symphony." obviously he didnt exactly say that but it was kind of along the lines of there will be people who hate your sound just because they do and they wouldnt want that sound, and there are people who would love to replicate your sounds every day.

this makes me feel alot better about finding myself musically. makes me feel like i can do what ever the **** i want, and it shouldnt matter what others oppinions are as long as its what your looking for.

sorry for the novel, but thanks guys (and gals if you posted too )
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx

Well, depending on who you ask and what you play, tubes work better. It's really the same as the Gibson-Fender arguments really; everyone who yells at each other in Solid-state vs. tube is a massive idiot. Everyone has different preferences and tones they want. Tubes work better for me so I use a tube amp, but there are plenty of good sounding solid-state amps.

In short; Just play what you think sounds good, people who go around saying "no tubes = no tone" are complete fools.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Quote by monkey_dancer

Also, more on topic, Trent Reznor uses solid state amps (Line 6 Vetta), as do Radiohead (same amp, although I think only for recording).

Radiohead (well Jonny) uses a shitty SS Fender 85 does he not?

But it works well for his scratchy distorted tones. No tone is bad i guess, just unique for a purpose
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by necrosis1193

In short; Just play what you think sounds good, people who go around saying "no tubes = no tone" are complete fools.

its about time i find people who think like this. must have been spending too much time with the pricks in the pit (sorry for all you pit lovers....but you are pricks)
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
its about time i find people who think like this. must have been spending too much time with the pricks in the pit (sorry for all you pit lovers....but you are pricks)

Yeah, while there are tube snobs here (I'm sort of one, but just for myself) we're all pretty open to anything with good tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dimebag, Death, Static X, Cannibal Corpse, Meshuggah

Dime used a Randall.
Evil Chuck ( ) used a VS100.
Static X uses MG's (lol).
Meshuggah uses Line 6 Vettas (good amps, I'm not gonna lie).
I don't know the exact model that the guys in CC use.

Also, I'm open to anything with good tone, Tube, SS, Modeling, or Hybrid.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
Dime used a Randall.

MGS.. hmm just proves that if your good you can make any amp sound good
Quote by oneblackened
Dime used a Randall.

I do believe CC used a ampeg of some sort.

Edit: Now, now, I wouldn't call wayne statics tone good by any stretch. He only uses the MG since when it breaks (and it will break) he can just go to any store and get a new one.
Quote by Darkice
MGS.. hmm just proves that if your good you can make any amp sound good

Except Static X sucks and their music sounds like ****.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, while there are tube snobs here (I'm sort of one, but just for myself) we're all pretty open to anything with good tone.

ya know its not even the fact of being a "tube snob" i think its more the fact that some people would tell you to sell everything you have to get a tube amp because of about a million different reasons. i understand that there are a lot of good things that come out of a tube amp...including a more analog sound(i hope thats the right word of fear of looking like a moron). ive heard that SS amps "replicate" guitar sound unlike valves that produce a more "real" guitar sound(as you can tell im not pro).

kind of like the whole modeling thing that replicates a tube sound...even know it isnt.
Quote by al112987
Except Static X sucks and their music sounds like ****.

yep
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Dime used a Randall.

Also, I'm open to anything with good tone, Tube, SS, Modeling, or Hybrid.

CC used Ampegs best metal SS's on the market man....

Im still trying to get my hands on one... Metallica also used them for something or in the mix in the studio for there last album...
umm though I am not to fond of there music I would not say that they suck, I mean at ozzfest they have thousands of people cheering for them, which means they must have something going for them.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
ya know its not even the fact of being a "tube snob" i think its more the fact that some people would tell you to sell everything you have to get a tube amp because of about a million different reasons. i understand that there are a lot of good things that come out of a tube amp...including a more analog sound(i hope thats the right word of fear of looking like a moron). ive heard that SS amps "replicate" guitar sound unlike valves that produce a more "real" guitar sound(as you can tell im not pro).

kind of like the whole modeling thing that replicates a tube sound...even know it isnt.

Well, the sound of rock n roll most people are familiar with comes from tube amps. SS amps more recently have been trying to emulate that sound instead of just doing their own thing. Modelers do the same thing. I think SS amps that aren't designed to sound like something aren't sound a lot better. I've heard clips of those old ampegs and they are just brilliant for heavy stuff.

Quote by Darkice
umm though I am not to fond of there music I would not say that they suck, I mean at ozzfest they have thousands of people cheering for them, which means they must have something going for them.

People cheer for the Jonas Bros.
Quote by Darkice

Never said the band was great lol, the amps on the the other hand are extremely good...
Quote by LSD23
doesn't B.B. King use a jazz chorus?

Negative, but he uses a Lab Series L5, which is SS
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge