Page 1 of 2
do people in the UK celebrate thanksgiving?
because i know in the states, it came from the pilgrims and indians and stuff.
so does the UK have any holidays that are centered around the idea of eating and giving thanks?
No, of course not.

Why is it that we know of your holidays, but you don't know of ours?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
We do not.
We should, we should get more excuses to get days off.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by fender351
the idea of eating and giving thanks?

Isn't that just christmas but without presents?
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by fender351
do people in the UK celebrate thanksgiving?
because i know in the states and Canada, it came from the pilgrims and Native People and stuff.
so does the UK have any holidays that are centered around the idea of eating and giving thanks?

fixed.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
No, we don't celebrate it, hell can someone explain what the f*** it is, sorry it just really bugs me that I don't know.
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Aria 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Quote by Tokai ALS-48
No, we don't celebrate it, hell can someone explain what the f*** it is, sorry it just really bugs me that I don't know.

a long time ago this old guy with a funny hat and funny shoes made love to an indian and to show her how much he loved her he put together a feast
Isn't that basically where you celebrate the first settlers coming to the country?
Maybe we should celebrate it in order to commemorate the day we started getting rid of our rubbish...

Actually, if thats the case, we should celebrate July 4th.

It's an American Tradition based on American History. Of course we're not going to celebrate it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

We should celebrate St.Georges day tbh.... Then I'd always get a day off on my Birthday
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Tokai ALS-48

Pilgrims left your arsehole of a country and came to Amurrica for religious freedom. Supposedly the native american's taught said pilgrims how to grow maize (corn) and they all sat down and had a lovely banquet together.

In reality the settlers decimated the native american's with foreign disease, and killed or used the remaining native american's for manual labor.

I don't care though, I love turkey.
Quote by black-sabbath
fixed.

Actually, I think it was unnecessary of you to "fix" his statement.

A contemporary writer named Sherman Alexie, who is an Indian wrote this

"I have never met a Native American...I've met thousands of Indians"

He also said

"The word belongs to us now. We are Indians. That has nothing to do with Indians from India. We are not American Indians. We are Indians, pronounced In-din. It belongs to us, and we're not going to give it back."
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
only if you're a twat...
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
if it gets us days off ill celebrate anything. but ina ll fairness man we dont even have st georges day off
Pilgrims left your arsehole of a country and came to Amurrica for religious freedom. QUOTE]

you know your a patriot when you cant speel your country correctly. hell, you know your in america when....
An excuse to eat one of these

I'm not complaining. Some of my friends have Thanks Giving and they're not even American.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Our 4th of July is actually the 6th of December, but we still call it the 4th of July because gosh darnit it just sounds better.

We celebrate Juhannus (or midsummer in english) which is a celebration of the brightest time of the year and John the Baptist or something. Basically we just get drunk as f*ck and have a big party.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by RU Experienced?
Pilgrims left your arsehole of a country and came to Amurrica for religious freedom. QUOTE]

you know your a patriot when you cant speel your country correctly. hell, you know your in america when....

You sure make a great point, because you know, my spelling "error" wasn't on purpose or anything.

For future reference if you're going to try to be arrogant it helps to not be retarded.
we celebrate St. Patrick's day more than St. George's....
Quote by gangsta_rick
HAHA TWO WORDS f*CKING LEGEND

Finally a sig which shows another member praising me.

My work here is done
I think the Brits should celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a nice holiday of family togetherness and GREAT food!

Quote by Tokai ALS-48

The origin isn't so important... but wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I think the Brits should celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a nice holiday of family togetherness and GREAT food!

The origin isn't so important... but wikipedia is your friend.

We don't need an excuse to have the family round.
TBH it sounds like most of the americans posting in here don't actually have a ****ing clue what Thanksgiving is all about. They just like the food.
We've already started adopting your american Halloween customs. Christmas and Easter are a joke.
We don't need another holiday for no reason.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Rankles
No, of course not.

Why is it that we know of your holidays, but you don't know of ours?

I am well aware of Guy Fawkes day.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I am well aware of Guy Fawkes day.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quote by Chips-
Our 4th of July is actually the 6th of December, but we still call it the 4th of July because gosh darnit it just sounds better.

We celebrate Juhannus (or midsummer in english) which is a celebration of the brightest time of the year and John the Baptist or something. Basically we just get drunk as f*ck and have a big party.

Isn't that just another day for you?
No, because my ancestors actually originated from Great Britain, they didn't need to move here, slay the proper race of the country and claim it for their own.

And even if they did I doubt we would celebrate it. But maybe that's just the cynical British way...

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by Skierinanutshel
....Christmas and Easter are not american-made holidays y'know....

Obviously.
I was pointing out we don't need another holiday with no meaning. Christmas and Easter are horribly commercial.

Halloween isn't a American tradition anyway.

I mean what it has become is now heavily Americanised but it didn't start out like that.

I'm mainly referring to whole trick-or-treat thing. Shops love it, however, its not popular in my area and many places as it is regarded as begging. Which really, it is.

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
No, because my ancestors actually originated from Great Britain, they didn't need to move here, slay the proper race of the country and claim it for their own.

And even if they did I doubt we would celebrate it. But maybe that's just the cynical British way...

Don't try pulling that one. Britain is an island of mongrels with the vikings, romans, normans and saxons all invading. Unless of course, you're scottish?
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
We don't need an excuse to have the family round.
TBH it sounds like most of the americans posting in here don't actually have a ****ing clue what Thanksgiving is all about. They just like the food.
We've already started adopting your american Halloween traditions. Christmas and Easter are a joke.
We don't need another holiday for no reason.

The food is the best part... That's why we like it. We are Americans. It's food you don't normally eat year round. It's a seasonal feast.

But it's a secular holiday with religious origins. Get the family together, go around the table, say what you are thankful for (in life, within the last year, with family, etc), then eat some great food (and maybe alcohol... depending on age). And after dinner, you gather in front of the TV and watch a football game (American football, but I imagine you guys will watch whatever you like) and then everyone passes out (sometimes... more like a joke really) from a combination of alcohol and the Tryptophan in the turkey. The following day (Black Friday) is the start of the Christmas shopping season... really low prices. Woman go bat sh*t crazy while men get another day off. Kicks off the holiday season.

I'll let this guy explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P2kxPEQ11Q

So, I'd hardly say it's for "no reason." Who doesn't want a day off from work/school?
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire
We should celebrate St.Georges day tbh.... Then I'd always get a day off on my Birthday

we don't get a day off for st george's, guy fawlkes, st andrews, or st patricks.

Or if some people do I don't.
Quote by OddOneOut
Don't try pulling that one. Britain is an island of mongrels with the vikings, romans, normans and saxons all invading. Unless of course, you're scottish?

I'm Welsh, the Britons settled in the western parts of the Isles (Wales, Scotland and Cornwall).
After the Romans left the Britons came back and settled here, only to be pushed west by the Anglo-Saxons.
In fact the Welsh word for "English" is "Saesneg" meaning Saxon.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
4th of July. Basically Settler killed the natives with flu. Real cause for celebration...
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
The food is the best part... That's why we like it. We are Americans. It's food you don't normally eat year round. It's a seasonal feast.

But it's a secular holiday with religious origins. Get the family together, go around the table, say what you are thankful for (in life, within the last year, with family, etc), then eat some great food (and maybe alcohol... depending on age). And after dinner, you gather in front of the TV and watch a football game (American football, but I imagine you guys will watch whatever you like) and then everyone passes out (sometimes... more like a joke really) from a combination of alcohol and the Tryptophan in the turkey. The following day (Black Friday) is the start of the Christmas shopping season... really low prices. Woman go bat sh*t crazy while men get another day off. Kicks off the holiday season.

I'll let this guy explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P2kxPEQ11Q

So, I'd hardly say it's for "no reason." Who doesn't want a day off from work/school?

Yeah I've heard about that Black Friday. Sounds nasty what with the crushing of people.... We have our sales on Boxing Day through to January. Although sales have started early this year.

The closest we would get is the 'Harvest Festival' celebrated mostly by primary schools. Where you do some crap about the crops growing, and then give tins of out of date beans to the elderly.

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
I'm Welsh, the Britons settled in the western parts of the Isles (Wales, Scotland and Cornwall).
After the Romans left the Britons came back and settled here, only to be pushed west by the Anglo-Saxons.
In fact the Welsh word for "English" is "Saesneg" meaning Saxon.

I was close enough
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Dec 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 2