Is one of the new Gibson Melody Makers a good sub for a Gibson Les Paul Junior, or, for that matter, an Epiphone Gold top with P-90s? Thanks for any help.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
The Melody Maker has a bright(though not as much as a tele's bridge pickup) tone, while a Junior has a deeper growl somewhere between a Fender single-coil and a humbucker. As for the Epiphone goldtop, it may just have been I got a dud, but one I tried was awful; felt fine, but with both P-90's on and all the knobs on 10 I got no sound. It did sing when I turned it to the bridge pickup though, so if I just played a crap one, their good guitars and it's a shame Epiphone discontinued them. As for it's tone, it's the closest of the three to a humbucker due to it's maple top, but it retains that single-coil bite.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
IMO, I'd go for that epi Goldtop.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
IMO, I'd go for that epi Goldtop.

Over the Gibson Les Paul Junior? Can you tell me why?

Thanks for the replies, btw......necrosis1193, your description was really helpful.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by BHowell
Over the Gibson Les Paul Junior? Can you tell me why?

Thanks for the replies, btw......necrosis1193, your description was really helpful.

Because two pickups are more versatile than one. and Gibson has worse QC than most epiphones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.