Page 1 of 2
I'm going to be doing this in woodworking at school so I'll try to take a few pics with my cell phone along the way I am gluing up the head and stuff at home just because it is easier here. It is going to be a neck through bass inspired by jerry garcia's tiger. I am getting all the hardware and fingerboard from a memphis p-bass that had a warped neck I steamed off the fingerboard awhile ago. The necks going to be maple and I'm not sure what the wings are going to be. It will be 1 1/2" thick. The neck blank is only 3/4" thick so I am going to glue a 3/4" thick piece of the same wood as the wings to the back of it for the body. I started it today so far all I did was cut the scarf joint and glue it together.
Awesome! If you want, check out the link in my sig.

We are accepting entries starting at any time, so long as they are done by January 31st. Only for the first year, next year is has to all be done within January.

Either way you choose to enter, I look forward to seeing another build from you.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Awesome! If you want, check out the link in my sig.

We are accepting entries starting at any time, so long as they are done by January 31st. Only for the first year, next year is has to all be done within January.

Either way you choose to enter, I look forward to seeing another build from you.

I joined but I guess this doesn't count because I already started. I should have it done buy January 1st anyways.
I love how the clamps match the bananas. Glad to see so many people take the challenge.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Dude, I have that same toaster! XD
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
I've decided that I'm going to shape the sides like an sg, it'll give me an excuse to use my new angle grinder (that thing is awesome for shaping with a flap disc on it). It will make it look really cool with the points and everything. I'll have to do that at home too it makes too big of a mess. I'll probably have to shape the neck at home too since I use a disc sander and we can only sand on the sanding table (which you have to clear a path to get to) and there's nothing for me to clamp the guitar there.
Nice banana.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by 420 FREAK
I joined but I guess this doesn't count because I already started. I should have it done buy January 1st anyways.

Now worries, there is no start date for our first year, only an end date of the 31st of January.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by guitarcam123
you can barelly even see the toaster, how do you know its the same?

Because it has the same knobs, the same design, same colour scheme, same rubbery plastic base, and the same 'reheat/ defrost/ bagel/ on' buttons
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
I got the headstock wings glued on and the veneer glued on today. The veneer is from a cutting board it has walnut mahogany and quilted maple in it.
Here's a couple pics, also the wings are mahogany.

Here's the other piece that I'm saving for the backplate of my next guitar build it was resawn off the same piece.

Looking great so far. I'm going to watch this one very closely.

Thought about pick ups? or anything like that?

Be careful with the SG shape on a bass, I believe it can lead to neck dive.
Quote by Micehorns
Looking great so far. I'm going to watch this one very closely.

Thought about pick ups? or anything like that?

Be careful with the SG shape on a bass, I believe it can lead to neck dive.

I'm just going to use the ones from the memphis bass I might upgrade later on if I get into playing bass more, I'm doing this mostly because I have no builds going on right now, I have all the parts, and I'm just going further with this than previous builds.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about the shape is closer to a p-bass than a sg I'm just doing the edges like an sg. It's only an inch and a half thick so I'm going to use the heaviest wood I have to choose from when I get wood for the wings hopefully within the next few days.
I got the headstock roughly shaped it still needs a little more work and I got the fretboard glued on. Hopefully I can get the wood for the body wings and back of the neck where the body is tomorrow. Should have it done sometime next week.
pics:

Quote by 420 FREAK
Here's a couple pics, also the wings are mahogany.

These kinda pics make me wonder when I think about when I build my very first guitar myself:

Isn't this stuff fragile? I mean, how strong is that glue, couldn't that just break, especially with the tension of the strings, or how strong does that seem, and is it easy to glue/make something like that? Looks beautiful by the way!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
These kinda pics make me wonder when I think about when I build my very first guitar myself:

Isn't this stuff fragile? I mean, how strong is that glue, couldn't that just break, especially with the tension of the strings, or how strong does that seem, and is it easy to glue/make something like that? Looks beautiful by the way!

It's plenty strong. Glue joints are stronger than wood as long as you clamp it good. If you were to make one yourself you would probably have to have it about an inch thick or 3/4 thick to be easy to glue and then resaw or thickness it. Not really that hard to make, I have a bunch of cutoffs from cutting boards when they were being made and this was the best one. I'l probably make my own sometime.
My dad got me the wood today. It's walnut and it was free. I bought some minwax high gloss rub on poly today for $10.44 and the only other thing I've bought for this build was a p-bass pickup template from stewmac a couple months ago for $5.50. So so far I'm only up to $15.94 and all I'm probably going to need to finish it is some strings so that's like another $15 or $20. I'll get the wings sanded tomorrow and I might have enough time to get the bevels shaped, electronics cavity routed, and the wings glued on. Might be able to start finishing it this weekend.

Cool laminate, and that body shape looks nice and original, can't wait to see more progress on this bad boy!
Dude! I have those exact same bar chairs in my basement!

BTW, awesome looking build so far
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have those exact same clamps at my work. With the barcodes on the orange grips..
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I've got it glued up now I might even be able to start finishing it tomorrow. I did the output jack differently I got the idea from a custom strat someone was selling here. I decided not to do the sg bevels I liked the look of it with the bigger round over I did on it. Also if anyone wants a bass like this I will build you one for $275 plus shipping if you supply an old bass for parts or just parts.

God, I'm so jealous of your ability. I'd love to be able to do that for a hobby. Amazing so far, man.

I really, really can't wait to see how this turns out in the end. I have massive hopes in my mind already for it.

By the way - Great price aswell!
Quote by Micehorns
God, I'm so jealous of your ability. I'd love to be able to do that for a hobby. Amazing so far, man.

I really, really can't wait to see how this turns out in the end. I have massive hopes in my mind already for it.

By the way - Great price aswell!

Thanks, I am really surprised with how this is coming out. I just started it because I had nothing better to do and have only spent like $15 on it. I was really surprised how it looked when gluing it up this isn't going to be my last maple neck walnut winged guitar.
Quote by guitarcam123
thats very nice!
how many strings?

Lol I am going to have to learn some more songs on bass I only know one. The only thing I don't like about this is the dot inlays. It's like when a company makes a cheap version of a nice guitar it looks really nice then the dots ruin it.
Quote by 420 FREAK
Lol I am going to have to learn some more songs on bass I only know one. The only thing I don't like about this is the dot inlays. It's like when a company makes a cheap version of a nice guitar it looks really nice then the dots ruin it.

Could remove them and fill them? I've had to remove the fret markers for my build (...they were like 1mm deep and made of cheap paint lol). I just drilled a tiny space out and will be filling it. woodfiller would cover it nicely aswell. Or keep the space and fill it with new fretmarkers? or even woodfill the space and put some fretmarkers elsewhere. I think they look great at the very top of the fretboard.

Have you got a pickguard idea? It would be really, really cool to see a MS Paint created picture of what it may look like
Quote by Micehorns
Could remove them and fill them? I've had to remove the fret markers for my build (...they were like 1mm deep and made of cheap paint lol). I just drilled a tiny space out and will be filling it. woodfiller would cover it nicely aswell. Or keep the space and fill it with new fretmarkers? or even woodfill the space and put some fretmarkers elsewhere. I think they look great at the very top of the fretboard.

Have you got a pickguard idea? It would be really, really cool to see a MS Paint created picture of what it may look like

I think I'll just leave it, the fingerboard still needs to be sander because when the fingerboard was steamed off the steam raises the grain so if that or leveling the frets becomes a problem I'll just refret it and get some snowflake inlays or something. I'm just doing this for fun and I barely play bass so it doesn't have to be perfect when I started I was thinking of maybe even using some poplar on it since it's cheap but it's ugly but it looks great.

I don't really like pickguards especially with something like this where it would cover up the natural wood on painted guitars I like it sometimes.
dude this build is actually pretty sweet, and you have like, a ton of money till you've reached the money limit. you may get voted as having the cheapest build though. Also, the way you did the neck through with a pre-made fretboard, made neck building look about 1000 times easier.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
4 strings eh?
for some reason guitars (or basses in this case) look better with extra strings? Except i dont like big fat necks, they look out of place
Quote by guitarcam123
4 strings eh?
for some reason guitars (or basses in this case) look better with extra strings? Except i dont like big fat necks, they look out of place

Damn dude you are just ripping up the GB&C.
Nice bass.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
yeah lolz, im trying to get my user name all down the side
i've got like 4 posts to go before i
its about midnight for me
Quote by reed12321
dude this build is actually pretty sweet, and you have like, a ton of money till you've reached the money limit. you may get voted as having the cheapest build though. Also, the way you did the neck through with a pre-made fretboard, made neck building look about 1000 times easier.

I just got strings today for 20 so that's like $35 and that should be it.. Yeah I ca see why, in reality the fingerboard isn't hard to do just go with pre-slotted but it looks harder than it is. That's why my first couple of builds were just the body.
Ok, so I'm up to $35.94. got started finishing today. I forgot how hard maple necks are to shape after doing 4 mahogany necks lol. I'll get a 3rd coat on tonight and another 2 or 3 tomorrow than I leave for 24 hours and then I can put it together.

neck shaped:

finishing:

Page 1 of 2