I've been thinking about getting a new amp for christmas because the one I have now is pretty much sh*t.

My budget is somewhere around $200-300, maybe a tiny bit higher if there's something really great for like 350.

As for tone... Smile by Taproot. That 2nd part of the intro, where the guitar just like explodes. That's what I want, That full, modern hard rock, "punch you in the gut" sound from bands like Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, etc. I know that Pete from Chevelle uses a Mesa, so something with that kind of distortion if you still dont know what I mean (not exactly quality... I'm new to guitar but I know that theres no way I'll get Mesa quality for that budget, more along the lines of the type of tone.) I don't want anything like Slipknot either, too hollow and scratchy (don't get me wrong I love Slipknot lol). I'd also like a nice clean channel for those great clean intros. I don't have enough experience or money for some stompboxes either, so some effects with adjustable parameters (or however you spell that lol) would be nice. Wow, I just now realized how picky I am lol.

I only started guitar last Christmas so I have all the same equipment I started out with, an Ibanez starter kit (The jampack or whatever... The one with the pickguard, 2 singe coil pickups at the neck and middle and a humbucker at the bridge). The guitar is still good enough for me because I just started but I think I'm getting to the point where I could use a new amp.

I was thinking about this http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOX-AD50VTXL-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
I went to guitar center and tried out the 30 watt version and thought it was pretty sweet, I like the distortion on that. But I thought the same thing about the Spider III when I first tried it out... Now I realize how bad it really is so I'm going to try to test it out again.

There, I gave all the information the rules said to give lol... maybe a little too much?

What do you guys think? Is that amp good or is there something better I could try? All help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Someone else suggested the Roland Cube, but when I went to guitar center to try it out they only had the Micro Cube (the 4x4 one) and It was a bit of a let down to me. The Rectifier model had great distortion, but the effects were a bit heavily layed on imo. The chorus was great though. Is there a major difference between the sound of the Micro Cube and the 30? and Ill look into the vypyr, thanks.

EDIT: just checked out the vypyr online. All those features for 199?? That doesn't sound real. It's gotta be lacking in tone or something, right?
Last edited by Chevelle19V at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Chevelle19V
Someone else suggested the Roland Cube, but when I went to guitar center to try it out they only had the Micro Cube (the 4x4 one) and It was a bit of a let down to me. The Rectifier model had great distortion, but the effects were a bit heavily layed on imo. The chorus was great though. Is there a major difference between the sound of the Micro Cube and the 30? and Ill look into the vypyr, thanks.

EDIT: just checked out the vypyr online. All those features for 199?? That doesn't sound real. It's gotta be lacking in tone or something, right?

It slaughters the Vox for High gain tones
I have a Vox AD30VT and I love it. It was by far my best purchase of 2008. It has agreat sound for what you are looking for, especially the US High Gain channel. Most of the bands you want to sound like use Mesa Rectifiers which, if you save your money, would be a worthwhile purchase. My friend has a Mesa Cab with a Krank Dimebag head and it kicks tons of ass.

But if you are set on getting an amp, get either the Vox AD30VT or the Vox AD50VT, the ones with the silver grill. You wont be disappointed. They have a great support site in which users post tons of presets they have set up to mimic just about every amp you can think of.
Chevelle19V, I am in the same position as you, looking to upgrade from a crappy Marshall MG10. I am considering a Vox, Roland Cube and Peavy Vypyr.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but wouldn't a Cube 60 or Vypyr 75 be too much for a "practice amp"? If not, then I would lean toward one of these. I'm looking to get as much amp as I can in this price range, as I'm sure Chevelle19V is too.
Ok, so I'm gonna look into the Vypyr.. It looks sick =D but I have to ask, what does everyone think about the Vypyr and the Cube? Which is better?
Bump .

I played the Vypyr 30 at Guitar Center and I liked it, but I am just a newb. I wanted to compare it to the Cube 30, but they do not carry it, only had the MicroCube in stock. I guess my final decision will be based on the UG forum.

Of course now I'm thinking about the Cube 60 and Vypyr 75, but then I think, "if I'm going to spend $395 on a Cube 60, why not get a Peavey Valveking or Windsor Studio for a few bucks more." Oh it's so confusing!
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/929451839.html VK 112, $275
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/937006345.html Fulltone OCD, $100
Just throwing other options out there that fit in budget. The Cube and Vypyr are good amps with a lot of built in effects to play around with. On a budget, the above isn't bad either. (Referring to the $390 budget post above.) Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.