So its seems to a recording noob like me that a lot of people use Macs and record with Garage Band. SO what do us PC users use? I am very new at this although i ahve been playing for decades and have done a lot of video production using Vegas Pro. So helpful suggestions would be very very appreciated. Thank in advance.
i've used audacity for free and bought sony ACID music studio 7.0. they are both pretty good but i'm no expert
If you're price range is free, then got to audacity.com, or google it and download the newest app. It's not the best, but hey, it's free.
Well it depends how much you want to spend...audacity from what i understand is icnreidbly simple, just better than sound recorder, but another good free peice of software is reaper. But if you want to get more into it and professional software like Cubase (Which I use) are professional, there iso f course the world renown standard that is Pro Tools, which comes in various guises and price ranges, from m-powered to full HD. To be honest theres a whole host of different programs out there that you could use, the best bet is to research what you need and what they offer, then try soem out......it should be noted that if you use computer based recording software you will need an interface to be able to recrod into the computer via. Which again ahs a whole host of different types ranging from the very simple 1 in and 1 out to the massive 26 in 26 out etc.
I agree. Price range needs to be determined first.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
wow thanks for the advice. I guess I am looking for cheap, 150.00 and under, and simple. I need something where I can play a track, do some overdubs, add some bass and drums and then mix it down. I cant imagine I would ever need over 16 tracks. I just want to be able to get some ideas down and work on them. thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Quote by Mihyaeru
Well it depends how much you want to spend...audacity from what i understand is icnreidbly simple, just better than sound recorder, but another good free peice of software is reaper. But if you want to get more into it and professional software like Cubase (Which I use) are professional, there iso f course the world renown standard that is Pro Tools, which comes in various guises and price ranges, from m-powered to full HD. To be honest theres a whole host of different programs out there that you could use, the best bet is to research what you need and what they offer, then try soem out......it should be noted that if you use computer based recording software you will need an interface to be able to recrod into the computer via. Which again ahs a whole host of different types ranging from the very simple 1 in and 1 out to the massive 26 in 26 out etc.

Reaper isn't free.

TS, do you want all equipment from that budget, or just software?
There is poetry in despair.
No just the software. I have a Line 6 Toneport on teh way (dirt cheap ebay find) so I guess I will just need a good mic or use the 6's amp sims to record.
$150 for mic and software. You should be able to grab a used SM57 for $100 and the license for Reaper for private use is $50. Yer done. This is totally your best bet.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Does anyone recommend a line 6 product. At Daddys Junky Music they have some line 6 software and one of those boxes that you plug the amp into for like 90.00$9 (notincluding a holiday sale)
Reaper used to be free anyway....it was last time I checked which admittedly was a while ago now since I got Cubase 4.....
It has never been free. There is nothing to stop you from using it when the demo expires, it just tells you you should buy a licence. Not buying a licence after the demo period is far worse than torrenting expensive software in my book.
If you don't want to spend any money, and get professional software, you could always install Linux and use Ardour. That's what i've done - and i don't understand why i didn't do it sooner. Its absolutely amazing, on par with Logic Pro, Cubase and Protools.

You'll have to spend about a day downloading the software and installing it, but it is totally worth it. I haven't had any problems switching at all. You can still dual boot it too, so you can still use windows if you want.

Anyway, thought i should at least let you know about it.
I love you long time.
Quote by fridge_raider
Not buying a licence after the demo period is far worse than torrenting expensive software in my book.

Why would it be any different?

CT

Well, to me it is. The reason is that Cockos are a small company, who place their trust in the user to purchase a licence. I always feel that they could easily implement a system which stops you from using after 30 days but would rather believe that people will buy a licence if asked.

I know that this could be utter crap, and Cockos might not restrict their demo simply because they want more people to use and recommend the software, but that's how I see it.

And I know companies like Steinberg expect you to pay as well, and not resort to stealing, but at least when you torrent you're not pretending it's 'free'. You're robbing the software, plain and simple.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but thats just how I personally feel about it.