you ALWAYS here about harmonizing in common intervals like 3rds, 4ths, sixths etc etc. I have never heard harmonizing in half steps. Until I listened to the breakdown near the end of Foam Born (a + b) by between the Buried and Me (the quirky one with the descending/ascending riff, its played in only one of the riffs and is hard to catch unless you listen close). I have never heard it used before, but it works because the riff is chromatic. God those guys are brilliant.
Opeth use it on song, can't remember which one. It generally sounds pretty terrible to me....
IIRC, the intro to Whatever by Godsmack has minor seconds in those dissonant parts.

Also, I'm pretty sure Korn did a similar kind of thing on one of the 'hits' on Life Is Peachy.'

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Harmonizing in half-steps is common in really old asian folk music (I think?). Some instruments, like tremolo harmonicas, do this automatically. It's not actually a music writing convention, more of a non-digital echo/tremolo effect.
Quote by demonofthenight
Harmonizing in half-steps is common in really old asian folk music (I think?). Some instruments, like tremolo harmonicas, do this automatically. It's not actually a music writing convention, more of a non-digital echo/tremolo effect.

Yeah I've heard similar to this too.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Its uncommon because the semitone is the most dissonant interval. It hurts my ears. It should only be used as part of a chord (like a maj7).
It's really common in death metal. Listen to Gorguts, or the opening of Meshuggah's "Straws Pulled at Random".

Indeed, it was the first form of harmonisation I ever used intentionally, back when I was learning a few Korn riffs...
Of course it works!!

Let me show you..
I made this riff, and I harmonized it in minor 2nds
several times

I also harmonized it chromaticly via exotic instruments, to add another flavour..

I am just trying to mimic death metal and such here.

PS: If you aislate tracks 6-10, you can get an entire different song
Attachments:
Harmonized riff.zip
I'd just like to add that there's something creepy about playing 'mary had a little lamb' harmonised with minor seconds.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Minor second harmony is a little close for comfort unless you're looking for not traditional sounds, but Minor ninth harmony is really ****in' cool in any setting. Try this; play a Bb-7, an Eb7b9, and an AbMaj7 (typical ii-V-I progression). The b9 really pulls down to the 5th in the Ab, its a great voice leading technique.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
Last edited by fusionsan at Dec 2, 2008,
I wrote this simple 12 bar blues song in A Maj and sung the vocals in Bb Maj. Not as easy as it sounds!
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
I wrote this simple 12 bar blues song in A Maj and sung the vocals in Bb Maj. Not as easy as it sounds!

You are my hero.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"