I have a 2007 Gibson explorer and it currently has stock pickups.

My dad gave me his pickups from his '79 LP custom and i was wondering if i could put them into my explorer and what kind of sound i could expect. Would it be worth it?

I'm sort of new to this stuff.
I cant imagine you hearing a significant difference, but that depends on your amp. If you have a lower end amp it wont matter at all really, but if you have a higher end tube amp you will notice a difference...but I cant imagine it being night and day

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
seeing as though there 2 gibsons (aren't they) they pickups should sound pretty similar. Have you played you dads guitar? did you like the sound?
That Les Paul probably had Burstbuckers in, or whichever PAFs Gibson were using at the time.

Your Explorer, like someone mentioned, should have a 500T and 496R, which are modern and pretty hot (the 500T is, anyway).

The tonal change would be like going from James Hetfield's tone in early Metallica, to a tone typical of someone like Jimmy Page... I guess.
The pickups he gave me are PAF's and i have played his guitar and i liked the sound, but that was with EMGs in it.
I'm more into the hard rock and metal style of playing as well.
Quote by Pikuhlz
The pickups he gave me are PAF's and i have played his guitar and i liked the sound, but that was with EMGs in it.

The stock pickups should do metal & hark rock really well. My V has the same pickups and I think they're great.
Quote by Pikuhlz

IMHO, PAFs don't cut it at all for anything approaching metal. Also, it's ridiculous to say "I'm going to put these pickups into my guitar, because I played a guitar with totally different pickups in and I liked the sound of those".

Again, IMHO, EMGs are in a totally different league to PAFs, and even the stock Explorer and Flying V pickups.