I want to start writing my own songs on guitar but every time I pick up the guitar I just end up playing songs I already know. I cant actually compose anything new. I automatically start playing my regular repertoire. Any tips on how to compose something original without just regurgitating old songs?
Put your guitar in a completley different tuning. I do this alot, I used to play everyhting in drop-d then I tuned it too DADF#AE. If that dosent work, just try listening to some new music you have herd before for like an hr, try to get soemthing else going in your head. Hope that helps!
try playing wrong notes and weird chords. Do stuff differently and you wont sound the same
You need to find yourself before being able to express yourself. Try taking up another art such as painting or photography on top of guitar to accelerate the process. If that doesn't work, lock yourself in your room for a day or two with nothing but your guitar, food, and water.
All the advice above is good.Use it.Also some times having a randomize playlist can help.

I have a Reverbnation account for some of my songs<shameless plug and see sig> but on the right hand side of the page there's Reverb Radio.Click on it and let it throw up and listen to stuff you wouldn't normally.There some great original stuff on there<and some crap> but it can fire the imagination
Everyone uses the same notes, its how you emphasize them that make you unique... so many songs have similar chord progressions but strumming, vocals, and even the melody played over it make the song new and cool....

We cant help we were born in an age where alot of ideas are already out there we just have to adapt and make those ideas our own... we arent bad for that - critics just think we are.
Quote by ehlert99
Everyone uses the same notes, its how you emphasize them that make you unique... so many songs have similar chord progressions but strumming, vocals, and even the melody played over it make the song new and cool....

We cant help we were born in an age where alot of ideas are already out there we just have to adapt and make those ideas our own... we arent bad for that - critics just think we are.

"If I have seen further [than certain other men] it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Credited to Isaac Newton but comes from the latin nanos gigantum humeris insidentes)

PS

Andrew LLoyd Webber has never written an original tune ;-)
cant actually compose anything new. I automatically start playing my regular repertoire.

So stop "automatically playing". Composition is a skill, and like any other skill it can only be improved with practice. Pick yourself up some good books on harmony and counterpoint and start studying and writing. Stop improvising, lay down your guitar, and force yourself to write.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I guess best advice is don't go fast, sometimes you can pick up a great idea just like that but you cant rush it always. It takes a long time for a great composition to be made whether it be classical or modern you need to figure out the best way to convey your thinking or feelings to someone else. Thats why lyrics go through rewriting, just b ecause it sounds good to you doesnt mean it will to everyone else.

I guess what I am trying to say is while your music is your expression, that expression is pointless if no one can feel what you were feeling. take your time and pick your parts carefully.

Maybe get some other people to work with you, at times I don't get a good feeling and try to just play through scales and so on until i get a drummer or someone else to play with me then I can start seeing the music beyond what just I am doing which is what it is becoming as a whole.