Im selling my sh*tty Epiphone SG Special and my Boss GT-6 to get money to put towards a new guitar and a nice distortion pedal for metal. I will have about $400 and I want a decent guitar and will most likely go used (craigslist) for both. I'm going to be looking diligently for a few weeks but what do yall think I should be looking for? I play mostly metal and classic rock but some blues. Also what is a good pedal for metal? I have played both the Metal Core and Metal Zone but I'm worried about them sounding electronic or lacking in tone. Any suggestions are largely appreciated, thanks.
Okay, I understand now. I misunderstood your question.
Check out the Epiphone G-400 if you want another SG.
UG's AC/DC Lover
I'd get a Fender MIM HSS strat if you can pull out the extra $50. Not only is it HSS, but ever since they added coil-tap, I can't think of many reasons not to get it in that range unless your one of those "non-locking is EVIL", "shapes must be br00talz" or "strats are fail" types, all of whom I will never understand the logic of.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
I'd get a Fender MIM HSS strat if you can pull out the extra $50. Not only is it HSS, but ever since they added coil-tap, I can't think of many reasons not to get it in that range unless your one of those "non-locking is EVIL", "shapes must be br00talz" or "strats are fail" types, all of whom I will never understand the logic of.

This... +1
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Marijuana makes everything better. Everything.

Quote by TooFast
Yeah. Nazi's FTW.
Quote by Rocker_94
Okay, I understand now. I misunderstood your question.
Check out the Epiphone G-400 if you want another SG.

I've considered a G-400 several times. I can find one for $250 and upgrade the pickups and/or tuners or something. As for getting a Strat i like them just not for metal because of the pickups and bridge(for palm muting.) Although, i would like to get one next year and use it for other styles.

I have a little Marshall MG15DFX, not too great but the clean channel works for now.
Quote by -Blue-
Same. They're fadeds, but theyre still sgs. I heard some of em can be really good.

I've played one before, they're not bad. There's one on my local craigslist but its $600.
SG Special's can be pretty nice if you do a little work on them. The nut could use a change. GraphTech makes nice ones. Put in some better pots, and some locking tuners. Those few things will save you some money, and make it sound a better without even changing pickups. I still changed mine to some Duncan's though. Sound pretty good when using my Vypyr.

Either way I would not sell the guitar. Its great to use for getting experience with changing these things.

If you don't want to try this go for the G-400. I guess it would save you time. :P
Quote by GymboJones
SG Special's can be pretty nice if you do a little work on them. The nut could use a change. GraphTech makes nice ones. Put in some better pots, and some locking tuners. Those few things will save you some money, and make it sound a better without even changing pickups. I still changed mine to some Duncan's though. Sound pretty good when using my Vypyr.

Either way I would not sell the guitar. Its great to use for getting experience with changing these things.

If you don't want to try this go for the G-400. I guess it would save you time. :P

Thats funny you mention changing the nut because mine broke a couple days ago, I put 12's on it and a piece broke off. So its in the shop now getting a new one. The main reason i don't want to invest money into it is because i want a guitar with better wood and hopefully not a bolt-on neck.
Quote by -Blue-
Same. They're fadeds, but theyre still sgs.

Most are, but I've seen New Century SGs, and the non-faded Specials that have a nice normal finish.
Quote by wildwildwes594

I have a little Marshall MG15DFX, not too great but the clean channel works for now.

Then you should DEFINITELY upgrade the amp first.
Quote by necrosis1193

+2

It's really versatile, you can get beautiful cleans with the neck pup and crunchy, heavy stuff with the humbucker. I also think the middle pup w/ tone knob at 0 gives a black sabbath tone, but that may just be me.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Quote by DroppedOnHead
Most are, but I've seen New Century SGs, and the non-faded Specials that have a nice normal finish.

I have a Gibson Sg Special faded and it's def a good backup guitar to have. I would like to trade out the pickups (too lazy atm to do that) but it's really light and i like the neck on it. Very comfortable.
u could get a schecter damien 4 450 i think
or a schecter omen 6 4 300 i think & add some pickups
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Have you look at the ESP LTD EC-Series?

My guitar center doesn't have any ESPs so no i haven't. How are they?
Quote by necrosis1193

This +3
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk