I am going to put in Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups into my Les Paul. I don't want to drill any holes for a mini toggle switch, and I'd prefer not to have a bunch of push pull pots. What I am wondering is if there is a pot that when down it functions like a normal pot, but when up it is a rotary selector. Then when you have selected you can push the pot back down. Is this possible?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
umm, dont think it exists, the bottom of the pot would need an insane amount of connections on it
*Enter Sig Here*
well the rotary switches have lots of places for wires to connect to them
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

yes, but you would also need another 2 slots for normal switch operation.

im 90% sure they dont exist.
*Enter Sig Here*
I only need to have 4 selections with the rotary switch, HB series, HB parallel, P90, and single coil
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Seeing as that range of selection would basically require a rotary switch, and you don't want to drill, you'd be best off doing 1 master volume and 1 master tone with a rotary switch for the mode selection for each pickup in the old potentiometer holes and using the 3-way to switch between the pickups.

Edit: Though correct me if I'm wrong, I've just never, ever seen an On/On/On/On switch. Mind you, mini toggle switches would have this fixed in a jiffy. I love me some mini toggles switches!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by lbj273
I am going to put in Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups into my Les Paul. I don't want to drill any holes for a mini toggle switch, and I'd prefer not to have a bunch of push pull pots. What I am wondering is if there is a pot that when down it functions like a normal pot, but when up it is a rotary selector. Then when you have selected you can push the pot back down. Is this possible?
1 - get a concentric pot. use it for the volume and tone.
2 - get a rotary switch, install it in the hole where the tone control used to be.
3 - ?????????
4 - PROFIT!!!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Where could I get a concentric pot, and how do they work exactly, I've never heard of them. Yes mini toggles would work, I could have two on/off/on mini toggles with each on corrusponding to a different coil but that would defeat the purpose of not drilling any holes.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
1 - get a concentric pot. use it for the volume and tone.
2 - get a rotary switch, install it in the hole where the tone control used to be.
3 - ?????????
4 - PROFIT!!!

Oh, I must not be all here. I should have thought of that, but hats off to you, sir, great idea.
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by Invader Jim
I bet the "profit" thing is why SYK is banned. They ARE against the rules, ya know.

I may be wrong though. Damnit, why's he banned?

Hah, I just thought it was funny. The "profit" thing, that is.

I hope he's not banned. He's answered more than a few of my questions.
I Japanese Fenders
That really sucks. Is it permanent? I understand moderating a forum, but he always had good advice...
I Japanese Fenders