Hey guys. I want to use a righty Gibson SG to play left handed. Besides restringing upside-down, is there anything else I'll have to mess with? Any of you guys playing like this?
You might have to mess with the action a little bit.. It depends how it's set up now.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Marijuana makes everything better. Everything.

Quote by TooFast
Yeah. Nazi's FTW.
I'm left handed, and while I don't play an upside down lefty, I've looked into it. And straight off, you're much better off just buying a left-handed version. The dials and stuff are more easily accessible, and your arm won't be rubbing them when you play, which is, from what I've heard, a major issue with playing upside down. Also I have heard that you may need a new bridge, also you'll need to flip the nut on the neck, so your strings fit properly. I would straight out just recommend getting a lefty. And if there isn't a lefty SG out there you know of right now, either look a little harder, or wait a bit.
Cool people wear earplugs to concerts
prob the bridge will need to be flipped as well.

i would just get a lefty SG though..its not exactly a cheap thing to be screwing with
*Enter Sig Here*
youd have to get it re-set up to match up, you dont have to get a new bridge, the SG's bridge can be easily moved around to accommodate your setup.

if you dont mind the vol and tone knobs underneath your strumming arm, do it, get a pro to set it up, at least resale is easier...finding lefties suck,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
i'm a lefty and i want and sg so bad. i thought about doing what you're thinking about doing but i decided to wait and buy a lefty sg
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Needs to switch the TOM around to accomodate the itonation.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Needs to switch the TOM around to accomodate the itonation.

"TOM?"
TOM= Tune-o-Matic bridge.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
OK, so I guess it would take flipping the strings, bridge, and maybe the nut on the neck. The nut refitting makes me not want to go through with it if that is really needed.

The guitar I wanted to do this with is a new Gibson SG Menace that is $800. I have heard reports that they are better quality than the Specials, and I do not really want to spend $1500 for a Standard.
Quote by DroppedOnHead
OK, so I guess it would take flipping the strings, bridge, and maybe the nut on the neck. The nut refitting makes me not want to go through with it if that is really needed.

The guitar I wanted to do this with is a new Gibson SG Menace that is $800. I have heard reports that they are better quality than the Specials, and I do not really want to spend $1500 for a Standard.

Its not hard to get the nut out. Look up "guitar nut removal" on google. Bunch of stuff on there.
If playing upside down worked for hendrix it should work for you
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
A TOM is on an angle like this \
A Strats is more of a staggered | that is easy to change.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
see i dont see a problem IF you dont adjust the vol+tone.
mine are always on 10...so if it was me a dab of glue would be put on them..
where as the nut, easy to swap over and clamp it.
bridge..lifts off, turn 180degrees, put back on.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Flipping the bridge wont do anything it will still have the same angle on the body its universal and can be installed either way. If there isnt enough adjustment on the saddles it would be a real pain to move the sleeves that hold the bridge down. If your lucky the intonation can be set if not it will always sound out of tune. You cant just flip the nut either the bevel would be backwards and the strings will tend to pop out during play. You will need to get a lefty nut installed which usually means getting one made from a blank figure 40 bucks or more for this. And as a lefty I can tell you from personal experience you will hate a SG upside down. The cable knobs and switch will be constantly in the way. Its easy enough to get lefty SGs.