Howdy, everyone! I'm brand new here and having a bit of a dilemma. Hopefully you all will have some wisdom to impart.

I've been writing a bunch of songs using Drop D tuning on my guitar. The various guitar parts have been optimized for this tuning (lots of open strings, etc).

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty keeping up vocally, so I decided to drop all of the songs by a full step.

This helps a lot with my voice, but it butchered my fingerings, making things much more difficult to play (sometimes downright impossible for a person of my limited skill level).

So, I've been toying with the idea of returning to the original fingerings and dropping my guitars down a full step to Drop C.

Does any one have any experience playing like this? What are some of the drawbacks / advantages? What kinds of things should I be cautious of (tone-wise, guitar wear, etc)? I've heard of a few people playing in Drop C - but they all tend to be metal bands and this is decidedly rock-n-roll music.

And the million dollar question...am I just being a wimp? Should I be working on raising my voice the few notes it would need to do the songs justice in the original tuning?

Just looking for some general advice and wisdom. Thanks, guys!

- Daniel
Well I'd recommend maybe thicker strings

I have my B.C. Rich Beast strung w/ 12=54 strings in C or C#, and it works fine

I also used to keep my Ironbird I sold in D dropped tuning w/ 10-60's on it, way more comfortable.

for vocally fitting though, you just might not be cut out for the singing? I know that can be hurtful to hear but I learned very fast I just don't have a voice taht fit the music we played, and therefore I gave up any notion of singing, and just enjoyed playing. Focusing on one will make you better, you just need to choose which role in a band you value more.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
I use all sorts of tunings as I play metal. I use B and C a lot. I see no problem with you drooping your tuning to match your voice. Just keep in mind your gonna want to go with some heavy gauge strings. I use 13-56's for B and 12-52's for C. And you'll probably have to reset the intonation.

My Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/matt420740
get thicker strings and tune your guitars down, theres no cheating in that, its just proper writing...if you played the same chord in a different spot it definitly changes its sound and impact. I have my guitars all tuned down half a step,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
i like C cause it isnt to low or me i usually use medium-thick strings so the string tenstion is a little bit lower but not to sloppy, if using a floyd rose you have to re-set the trem to adjust the bridge to the new tension it can get kinda hectic after a while it doesnt take too long
do not force your voice, you could get your vocal chords seriously damaged.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Getting heavier gauge strings and tuning down could be helpful but it will throw the intonation of the neck out and will have to be readjusted. Fingering the same positions will obviously give you a deeper sound as all the notes will be 2 tones lower.

As for strings for dropped tunings, Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky. All you need to know.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Thanks for the quick responses, guys! Keep 'em coming! I'm just looking for what, if anything, to expect. So far, I've strung it up with a pack of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies and I'm thinking that might be a bit too thick. I also have a pack of Hybrid Oranges that I'm going to try out.

As far as giving up singing, that's not really the issue. I'm pretty confident with my voice and have been singing for years and years. I think the choice I was facing with these songs was singing in a more comfortable key or playing more interesting guitar parts. Hopefully dropping the tuning on the guitar will let me achieve both.

By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm not entirely sure why I've suddenly started hearing / writing melodies that are just outside of my natural vocal range. It's indeed a mystery.

If anyone's interested: http://www.myspace.com/killketura