I was wondering what the best place to get quilted maple in southern california like the kind that they use for les pauls that type. Also when building a guitar like a les paul would i only use the quilted maple for the top and just cut a little layer or would I make the guitar of full quilted maple? Thx for help. Kinda new at building. working on my first guitar.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Try your local lumber yard.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by LP Addict
ebay!

its expensive as **** everywhere you go. thats why its mostly laminated.

^ fixed

For example, this bookmatched set of 6/8" thick maple is selling for just $17.50 right now.

eBay is the answer, my friend!
Also when building a guitar like a les paul would i only use the quilted maple for the top and just cut a little layer or would I make the guitar of full quilted maple?
(\__/)
Last edited by spartanhero at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by spartanhero
Also when building a guitar like a les paul would i only use the quilted maple for the top and just cut a little layer or would I make the guitar of full quilted maple?

Les Pauls are traditionally made from a mahogany "back" with a maple "top", which just means the maple boards are glued onto a mahogany body, basically. You won't be able to see that on a lot of Pauls though, as a lot of the backs are painted with opaque finishes.

EDIT: I have seen guitars made of solid quilted maple billets, just for kicks. They are mind-blowingly beautiful, but highly quilted maple is also mind-blowingly expensive, which is why you don't see much of those.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 1, 2008,
ok thanks.Also since I live in southern california there's not that many lumberyards. A lumberyard down here is like Home Depot or Lowes.
(\__/)
The only stuff you'll be able to find there is construction style wood, like pine, various plywoods and fiber-boards, perhaps some ash, definitely oak ( both probably not in sizes usable for guitar building ), maybe some mahogany, and perhaps a few other species. You won't find anything like quilted maple in there, that's for sure! Have you done much looking for hardwood suppliers in your area? I thought I didn't have one around, but I found one by calling up a local woodworking shop and asking where they get their wood. Also, try searching for hardwood suppliers in your area on google, you might find what you're looking for. They are the kinds of places you drive by all the time and never notice them, until one day you decided to get started with guitar building and such, and all the sudden they are right there!

If you can't find one, eBay is definitely an amazing option. You'll be shocked at the lumber deals you see on there, I promise!
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 1, 2008,
I was also wondering what type of glue is best to use for building a guitar?
(\__/)
The most common choice is Titebond Original. It drys relatively fast, is pretty cheap, and provides a durable and reliable wood-to-wood bond.
thank you
(\__/)
with ebay though you have to pay for shipping, taxes and customs and everything, when wood is sent from one country to the next it has to go through all these test and then get sprayed with bug repelent stuff.
Its not usually cheap
I have heard good stuff about woodworkersresource.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by lumberjack
^ fixed

For example, this bookmatched set of 6/8" thick maple is selling for just $17.50 right now.

eBay is the answer, my friend!
I call shenanigans. I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a while, cause I want to use a 1/4" quilted maple top on my 100GBP build. I've only seen maybe 2 bookmatched sets of it thicker than 3/8", and they were considerably more money than that. That seems about the right price for a ~1/16" thick veneer. Unless you're not including shipping or that auction has ~5 days left.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I call shenanigans. I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a while, cause I want to use a 1/4" quilted maple top on my 100GBP build. I've only seen maybe 2 bookmatched sets of it thicker than 3/8", and they were considerably more money than that. That seems about the right price for a ~1/16" thick veneer. Unless you're not including shipping or that auction has ~5 days left.

No shenanigans involved, sir! What possible personal benefit could I derive from tricking people into thinking you can get great wood deals on eBay??

That auction had 21 hours left at the time, and shipping was $8. Some times deals are hidden in categories you wouldn't think of; the places I look are not only the normal spots, like guitar/luthier, lumber, and woodworking, but the odd places, like industrial supply, kitchen and bar ( huge maple butcher blocks, table making wood etc. ), and hardware&building. The major trick to eBay is looking for stuff in the wrong places, which means two important things

1. The person selling it might not know exactly what they have, hence posting in the wrong category.
2. The people who DO know what it is will not be looking there for it, so there will be very little bidding on it from people who know what it is.

Deals used to be all over the place on eBay, but now you gotta hunt in the "wrong" places for them.

Also, guitarcam123, he posted that he lives in California, so customs and taxes would not be an issue. Shipping is not that expensive, especially if you're talking about buying a guitar top. The curly top I got for my current build cost me just $10 on eBay, it's 3/4" thick, and shipping was $8.50. You can see the wood HERE.
Quote by lumberjack
No shenanigans involved, sir! What possible personal benefit could I derive from tricking people into thinking you can get great wood deals on eBay??

That auction had 21 hours left at the time, and shipping was $8. Some times deals are hidden in categories you wouldn't think of; the places I look are not only the normal spots, like guitar/luthier, lumber, and woodworking, but the odd places, like industrial supply, kitchen and bar ( huge maple butcher blocks, table making wood etc. ), and hardware&building. The major trick to eBay is looking for stuff in the wrong places, which means two important things

1. The person selling it might not know exactly what they have, hence posting in the wrong category.
2. The people who DO know what it is will not be looking there for it, so there will be very little bidding on it from people who know what it is.

Deals used to be all over the place on eBay, but now you gotta hunt in the "wrong" places for them.

Also, guitarcam123, he posted that he lives in California, so customs and taxes would not be an issue. Shipping is not that expensive, especially if you're talking about buying a guitar top. The curly top I got for my current build cost me just $10 on eBay, it's 3/4" thick, and shipping was $8.50. You can see the wood HERE.
Ah, ok, it's possible I've missed such deals. I try to hunt in the other categories a little, but I get fed up with finding too much of what's supposed to be in the category pretty quick.

Shenanigans withdrawn.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

OMG, thank you for reminding me to search the other categories a little more carefully. I'm looking at a rosewood neck blank for $20 shipped with 1 day left. And to think, I was gonna settle for a plain maple neck blank for that much.

Although it is Caribbean Rosewood, and I think the traditional guitar wood is Brazilian Rosewood or something like that. I'll have to do a little research before I bid. Does anyone wanna save me a little research by telling me about the difference between the two?

I'm having a hard time finding a good bookmatched quilted maple top thick enough to do a carve, though. I'm thinking a 3/8" or 1/2" carve would look cool on my build. If I had a bandsaw large enough to bookmatch my own out of a thick billet, I'd be set though. There's a lot of them thick enough to do such a thing in the woodworking>lumber section.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Last edited by DuctTapeNinja at Dec 3, 2008,
Hmmm, as it turns out, caribbean rosewood is the slang term for Che Chin, a wood which is 180% as hard as oak, and the sap and the sawdust cause burns to the skin. I might want to avoid that auction, actually.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw