As you know, I'm getting the GK 1001 RBII and a Neo 410 cabinet. I know the cab is 8 ohms, but what's the head? I plan on getting a THD Hot Plate so I can crank the head to get a full sound and not blow my house off its foundation, but it's only got quater inch outputs. Would I be able to connect these quarter inchers to a the speakon input on the cab? Is this a bad idea? Can this be done? Thanks in advance.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i really dont think you'd need the hot plate with the GK 1001. it's got a growl and contour dial so you can dial in the growl. it also has a gain knob (woofer) so you can set the gain high and volume low to push the head at low volumes.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
^SS bass amps are often cranked to get more growl.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
^SS bass amps are often cranked to get more growl.

other than speaker drive, my Kustom III sounds identical at 10 as 2. I'm not sure what you're talking about...
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you get growl from pushing a solid state it's actually quite bad for the speakers. Generally you shouldn't push a solid state beyond 75-80%.

i agree 100%!
a hot plate is designed for a tube amp and i see no benefit of using one on a SS bass
amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
but it's only got quater inch outputs. Would I be able to connect these quarter inchers to a the speakon input on the cab? Is this a bad idea? Can this be done? Thanks in advance.

It's safer than the other way round but no problems anyway, just remember the polarities +1 on the speakon is tip on the 1/4" jack and -1 is sleeve on the 1/4" jack.

Speakons are safest as you don't come into contact with bare metal when handling them.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
cranking a SS amp sounds like crap.. All digital clipping and nastiness.. my crap MG sounds like someone is taking a crap when its cranked, i don't see how any other SS amp wouldn't have a similar effect (probably to a lower degree tho)

thankfully i'm going tube for christmas
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
cranking a SS amp sounds like crap.. All digital clipping and nastiness.. my crap MG sounds like someone is taking a crap when its cranked, i don't see how any other SS amp wouldn't have a similar effect (probably to a lower degree tho)

How does a solid-state amp achieve digital clipping!?
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

Don't foreget a barrow as well.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

that GK amp has a button that eliminates clipping.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
that GK amp has a button that eliminates clipping.

Im guessing you mean the high gain/ low gain button. Thats for active or passive basses.

You dont need a hotplate for a solid state amp. Solid state amps to distort nicely like tube amps. If you want distortion, get a pedal.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Quote by pedalguy1
Im guessing you mean the high gain/ low gain button. Thats for active or passive basses.

You dont need a hotplate for a solid state amp. Solid state amps to distort nicely like tube amps. If you want distortion, get a pedal.

As long as the overdrive takes place in the pre-amp stage there is nothing wrong; it's when the ouput stage starts clipping that you can damage the speakers.

Distortation in the preamp stage is only amplified at the output stage as a true signal, whereas distortion at the output stage causes a clipped signal to go to the speakers.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by pedalguy1

No, that's wrong. First of all, if its a button, that will just add some gain. If its 2 different input channels. 'Low gain' will be a normal channel, 'high gain' will have a slight bit of gain added overall too you sound.

If the channel is for active and passive basses it will say, just like the Hartke heads.

Back too the TS question.....

That GK head has plenty of power, you won't need it over 7 even a gigs. It already has a distortion channel in it which apparently can sound like 'around the world' which flea uses a BOSS ODB-3 for....Which means its not bad distortion.

I mean, the amp your getting isn't a mini gig and practice amp, its a loud piece of kit that you'd probably be shocked by it.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
The 1001-RBII doesn't have a distortion, that's the 2001. But I will be getting a Diesel Dawg, which is basically the 2001's Dist. Channel.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by pandathe3
No, that's wrong. First of all, if its a button, that will just add some gain. If its 2 different input channels. 'Low gain' will be a normal channel, 'high gain' will have a slight bit of gain added overall too you sound.

If the channel is for active and passive basses it will say, just like the Hartke heads.

I'm DYING to know the difference between high-gain/low-gain inputs and active/passive inputs. I'm at the edge of my seat here.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A solid state bass amp is not a guitar valve amp. I wouldn't want to crank my bass amp permanently.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by thefitz
I'm DYING to know the difference between high-gain/low-gain inputs and active/passive inputs. I'm at the edge of my seat here.

High gain = active
Low gain = passive.

And vice versa.

Quote by Stan_da_man
A solid state bass amp is not a guitar valve amp. I wouldn't want to crank my bass amp permanently.
Could you be a little clearer?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
OK then - I wouldn't want to crank my bass amp permanently.
OK then - I wouldn't want to crank my bass amp permanently.Not if it's only a 15 watt amp you're using.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
For feck's sake...

A valve guitar amp sounds best when cranked because the valves are being pushed and has a result the tone is more "musical" if you understand what I'm saying. It's OK to push valve amps.

A solid state bass amp cranked dosen't sound good because a) there's no valves and b) you're pushing the amp so it clips which is bad and equals death. Wattage dosen't come into play on a bass amp - a 15w SS bass amp will still hurt if pushed just like any 500w SS bass amp.
Quote by Stan_da_man
For feck's sake...

A valve guitar amp sounds best when cranked because the valves are being pushed and has a result the tone is more "musical" if you understand what I'm saying. It's OK to push valve amps.

A solid state bass amp cranked dosen't sound good because a) there's no valves and b) you're pushing the amp so it clips which is bad and equals death. Wattage dosen't come into play on a bass amp - a 15w SS bass amp will still hurt if pushed just like any 500w SS bass amp.

The actual tone that is so desirable is created at the input stage; true valves sound warmer.
Aren't you aware that 99% of hybrid amps feature a valve preamp stage and solid state output/power stage.
Can't think of what you would be playing to push a 500 watt amp to clip on the ouput stage anyway.
What is most interesting is that you seem to have found what everyone would wish to have found; a 15 watt amp that is identical to a 500 watt amp, if you market it you will be as rich as Eddie Gates.
"Wattage doesn't come into play on a bass amp" very interesting.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Stan_da_man

The Little Giant 1000 has 2 input channels for cabs.

One 8 ohm cab plugged into one channel gives 250w. Another 8 ohm cab plugged into the other channel gives another 250w, giving a total of 500w. If both these cabs were joined by a second 8 ohm cab (one on the first channel, a second on the other) then that would be producing 4 ohms each channel giving 500w each channel and a total of 1000w. If two 4 ohm cabs were plugged into each channel (one per channel) then that would be giving 500w into 4 ohms each channel and a total of 1000w.

If you don't believe me, check the Ashdown link in the first post of this thread.

Let’s put you right on a few things:-

Increasing the cabinet impedance from 4 to 8 ohms does not half the output from the amplifier from 500 to 250 watts, there is usually around a 30% reduction in power from 8 to 4 ohms so the figure would be nearer 350 watts @ 8 ohms.

The Little Giant is a mono not stereo amplifier therefore it does not have separate input channels.

The input/preamp signal is split and fed to two separate and independent output stages.
These two output stages do not have separate level controls.

The little giant has two speaker outputs to supply output power to the cabs not inputs. You plug your instrument into the input stage not your speaker cable.

I see nowhere in the following link where it gives 8ohm and 4ohm output levels.

1000 WATT - The two SPEAKER OUTPUTS on (note outputs)
the 1000 Watt model are driven
independently by 2 x 500 watt output stages. (note independent output stages)
Each socket can run into a 4 Ohm load for
maximum output power.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
The actual tone that is so desirable is created at the input stage; true valves sound warmer.
Aren't you aware that 99% of hybrid amps feature a valve preamp stage and solid state output/power stage.
Can't think of what you would be playing to push a 500 watt amp to clip on the ouput stage anyway.
What is most interesting is that you seem to have found what everyone would wish to have found; a 15 watt amp that is identical to a 500 watt amp, if you market it you will be as rich as Eddie Gates.
"Wattage doesn't come into play on a bass amp" very interesting.

I think there's just a breakdown in communication here. The guy was agreeing that on a ss amp or any amp with a ss power section you don't want to push the power section to clipping. He just meant it would sound as bad to have ss power clipping on a 15w bass amp as on a 500w bass amp, that overall wattage didn't matter--you'd still have a bad sound if fully cranked an ss bass head. Nothing more?

On bass and for most metal guitar the actual tone so desireable is in the preamp stage, but I figured he meant that valve tubes were different, because for most valve amp users (guitar players) the power amp clipping is the super sweet fat sound that emphasizes all those lovely overtones. Hence why amps with valve pres and ss power sections can't get that sound so many guitar players love. Irrelevant to bass? Yeah--but I think that's the comparison he was making.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
On bass and for most metal guitar the actual tone so desireable is in the preamp stage, but I figured he meant that valve tubes were different, because for most valve amp users (guitar players) the power amp clipping is the super sweet fat sound that emphasizes all those lovely overtones. Hence why amps with valve pres and ss power sections can't get that sound so many guitar players love. Irrelevant to bass? Yeah--but I think that's the comparison he was making.

Clipped output from a SS or a valve is detrimental to speakers.
There is more to the warmth from valves than just clipping, most of what you perceive to be clipping in a valve amp is created in the pre amp stage and is therefore a true signal when it reaches the speakers.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I'm gonna say that cranked POWER AMP tubes sound worse than a cranked SS power amp. There's the exact same damage potential. SS sounds thin and harsh. Tube sounds muddy and undefined. When people talk tube grind they mean preamp tubes. The warmth comes from a combination of preamp and power amp tubes. Cranking the power amp doesn't help your tone much on either system.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift
Clipped output from a SS or a valve is detrimental to speakers.
There is more to the warmth from valves than just clipping, most of what you perceive to be clipping in a valve amp is created in the pre amp stage and is therefore a true signal when it reaches the speakers.

You're right regarding hard clipping, I'm just out of it. I just meant that the bulk of the nice tube sound IMO comes from pushing the power tubes, not the preamp tubes. Of course you don't want to have them pushed to the max. I do still think that wonderful tonal characteristics don't come out till the power tube are pushed, no matter how much preamp gain you use.

By and large a moot point on bass anyway right? Anyone cranking the power section on a tube bass amp isn't going to have many fans for long. They'll get disgusted with volume or go deaf enjoying the music
Quote by dullsilver_mike
You're right regarding hard clipping, I'm just out of it. I just meant that the bulk of the nice tube sound IMO comes from pushing the power tubes, not the preamp tubes. Of course you don't want to have them pushed to the max. I do still think that wonderful tonal characteristics don't come out till the power tube are pushed, no matter how much preamp gain you use.

By and large a moot point on bass anyway right? Anyone cranking the power section on a tube bass amp isn't going to have many fans for long. They'll get disgusted with volume or go deaf enjoying the music

Way back we all used Tube/valve amps, it was only coming across a valve amp recently that I realised just how heavy they were after years of Solid State gear.
A 200 watt Valve/Tube amp is very heavy.
I'd love one but ptice and weight make then prohibitive these days.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn