So i went on a guitar shop pilgrimage today and it was good. Ill just give a write up of the random stuff i tried if anyone is looking for santa to get them a diezel vh4 haha. I wasnt trying to match a hi gain amp with a jazzy guitar BTW i have other metal guitars its just i was looking for a highly versitile hi gain amp and a couple of new axes.

Guitars

PRS Hollowbody w/Piezo

Probably the most beautiful guitar ive ever tried. Reason i tried it was because im getting an ibanez S with dual piezo magnetic pups. Visually stunning and weighted beautifully. The guitar is so acoustically resonant the piezo really sounds like a high end acoustic. I tried it through all the amps listed and it really worked well with all genres of music. However the price tag is 3600 quid! Extremely versitile guitar i could sell all my others to get but i could get a rosewood necked handmade one cheaper. PRS in the Uk are too pricey.

Schecter Hellraiser C1

So a very different guitar than the other 2 but equally great. Perfect set up and great feel. I forgot to check if that had an ebony or rosewood fretboard, but it wasnt too dark unlike my hell raiser 7 (27 inch scale probably adds to that). The coil taps really work well it converts emgs to great versatile pups. Tonepros bridge makes a huge difference to the picking clarity and definition. I will sell my 7 and get this, do an 18v mod and sand the neck because it is somewhat sticky for me (as well as get piezos).

Ibanez AS83

Absolutely beautiful guitar visually and sonically and great feel. Totally versitile, gives anything even a slight tele twang. Perfect setup as always with good Ibanez guitars. Again extremely resonant acoustically and worked with all genres and amps i used. I prefered this to a friends 335 so i will be purchasing it sooner or later (and installing a piezo). One tenth the price of the PRS but for me with better pups it is very high end.

Amps

Bogner Uberschall

Surprisingly versatile guitar amp with lots of headroom, moderately dark, this really had a weird honk to it for some reason, very unique tone and insanely br00tal just a wall of gain but to me i could only get a moderate gain sound to be smooth and unharsh. When i tried the PRS and Ibanz it responded well and i was feeling embarassed in the shop because it really brings out your mistakes. Ill would rather stick to my 5150 and fender twin than this especially with the huge pricetag.

VHT Sig X

Insanely complicated head its like a damn airplane control panel. Again very versatile medium dark tone a lot of headroom again, gets a great brown sound, cleans quite fenderish and the br00tal is not dissimilar to the Uberschall in tone, and also that anything above medium gain tended to be a bit brittle. I would need some months however to judge this amp it would take that long to dial it in. Better value but nothing spectacular that a 5150 III wouldnt do.

Engl SE

Unbelievable amp, my favourite ive ever played. Hearing is believing but to describe it it was like the KSE rose of sharyn tone with the framus/ 5150 combo, very open sounding quite bright, very lively. Again very complicated but i managed to get what i wanted from all channels, cleans vere almost better than fender in they were glassy but unharsh. Diezel vh4 may better it but more pricey and ive not had the pleasure of trying it. Amp from Heaven!

Edit here is a good clip of the engl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbCJwjF4XA
Last edited by Mezzo4te at Dec 2, 2008,
Reviews AND pics? You, sir, win.

Those ENGL's cause me to get so GASy. They look and sound amazing.

EDIT: I just looked up a clip of the SE, and OH MY GOD thats the best distortion Ive ever heard!

*Replaces triple recto with ENGL SE on dream setup*

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Dec 1, 2008,
didnt read the rest but you gave the Schecter a good review so you win
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by EMGPWNS
Reviews AND pics? You, sir, win.

Those ENGL's cause me to get so GASy. They look and sound amazing.

EDIT: I just looked up a clip of the SE, and OH MY GOD thats the best distortion Ive ever heard!

*Replaces triple recto with ENGL SE on dream setup*

thanks man glad it helped. engl se is the best ive heard. shame its thousands.
the PRS looks and sounds amazing...id probly kill for that thing. good job, buddy, pics and reviews.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Nice picks to try out. I should do this sometime, write up reviews...a place very nearby carries all sorts of awesome amps - Dr. Z, Orange, 65, Marshall, Fender, you name it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
Nice picks to try out. I should do this sometime, write up reviews...a place very nearby carries all sorts of awesome amps - Dr. Z, Orange, 65, Marshall, Fender, you name it.

ill check out dr z and 65 ive never heard them
excellent reviews! did you try them in guitar guitar? Don't worry, I'm not stalking you, but a lot of those amps are only available in guitar guitar (or at least that range of high-end amps is rarely available anywhere else).

agreed with your description of the Engl SE, it's badass- shame it's so dear, though. I managed to pick up a savage SE (the SE's predecessor) a couple of years ago for about 3/5 the price of the SE, so I went with that. But if I hadn't got that good deal, I'd have probably gone with the SE.

I haven't tried that exact bogner or vht, but have tried other models of theirs, they're really nice amps, but pricey in the UK.

Agreed about PRS prices too- i picked up a prototype Patrick Eggle Vienna, which is more or less the same thing (except no piezos) for £500, so i was happy enough with that. I haven't tried the semi-hollow PRS, but it doesn't feel any worse than the USA PRSs I have tried- bar some cosmetic flaws which explain the really low price I got.

Quote by Exo M7

go for it!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah, if you only need the high gain distortion, some of the other engls (e.g. powerball)will do more or less the same thing as the SE for less cash (may not sound just as good, but will be close). A lot of the cost of the SE is for the versatility (which the cheaper engls don't have).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool, but I don't like the VH4 at all, so your comparison in saying the SE isn't quite is good is bad for me

I really want to try a Sig:X again, but no one around here is stocking them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cool, but I don't like the VH4 at all, so your comparison in saying the SE isn't quite is good is bad for me

I really want to try a Sig:X again, but no one around here is stocking them.

i meant in most peoples opinion i dont like it too much myself.

i was in guitar guitar and scayles, red dog, another couple of shops actually dave wish we had guitar centres here i want to have every amp known to mankind. theres a new shop called imported instruments they have some good **** as well. I only really like the SE i didnt think much of the powerball or invader so ill eventually get the SE preamp and a low wattage power amp.

Went to a drum shop as well if anyone likes drums try pork pie kits they are insane.
Last edited by Mezzo4te at Dec 2, 2008,
^ oh, edinburgh? sweet. never actually been in scayles, but i've been past it a bunch of times...

imported instruments? where's it?

i know what you mean about having better shops, but certainly guitar guitar is a heck of a lot better than anything we have here in ireland- i'd settle for having guitar guitar within driving distance, to be perfectly honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?