Hey guys, I'm rewiring an old samick strat now, only the pickguard is back on and its strung up, so I don't want to check and see....

Which wire leading to the output jack is ground, and with is hot?

One is bare, one is white.

Thanks guys.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
bare is ground, white is hot

me dad is an electrician, and he said bare is always ground,.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
pictures please
The bare wire is almost always ground
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
You really don't need pictures. Two wires, one white, one bare. That is all there is too it. Pictures can tell you nothing more, other than the guitar is sunburst, the jack is strat style, mono, and the body is plywood.

Thanks for your help.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
If there's no 'bare' wire, green is ground.
Signatures are overrated.
But there is a bare wire.

Ok so I got it wired to it makes sound, thats all good.

Thing is, there is this really loud hum. It gets louder when I touch the strings, and almost goes away when I touch the jack plate. Hurrhh...?

And yes, my grounding wire is soldered to my trem claw.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
would it happen to be 60 cycle hum? are you near a computer or other electronics when you play?

i get it all the time since my amp is next to my comp.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Just some lights above my head, and I turned them off with no difference in the loud hum/buzz.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I have no idea how pickup wiring works, honestly, so I just reflowed all the solder joints.

Unless there was a problem with the guitar to begin with, then yes all my pickups are grounded.

Fuck, I really don't want to take off these strings! I just bought them, it will be a waste of $12.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
You can take them off and still reuse them. I do it all the time. Just be careful.

Pics actually could be of some help, btw.

With the pups, white is hot, black is ground. Are you're components grouned to each other? Jack polarity matches?
Quote by Øttər
But there is a bare wire.

Ok so I got it wired to it makes sound, thats all good.

Thing is, there is this really loud hum. It gets louder when I touch the strings, and almost goes away when I touch the jack plate. Hurrhh...?

And yes, my grounding wire is soldered to my trem claw.

I'm sure you may have thought of this, and not to be rude, but try reversing the lead wires. We have no way of knowing which wire you have soldered to the sleeve lug and which to the output lug ( without pictures that is, which is ironic ). Also, there are a million and one ways a guitar can be/get ungrounded, not least of which is a corroded solder joint, which can literally happen INSIDE a bad joint, so you would never see it from the outside. Just plain weak joints will also do it too, of course. Try re-wetting all your joints, making sure that each component is perfectly joined to something that is reliably grounded, and try again. Good luck!

EDIT: Whoops, looks like you already re-touched all your joints!
I will take pictures at this pint. I just didn't think they were necessary before.

I don't even know what that mean or how to check, Jim.

And, if I take of my strings, they break when I put the back on, because of how I do it... like this:

http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

My Dad is gonna be pissed if I waste his money.

As for Lumberjack, I did reflow all the joints.

I have the hot wired to the tip, like very other guitar I've ever done... I'll try reversing them, I propbably just made a simple mistake like that.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
thats different.

i string mine a complete different way.
learn something new everyday
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Wait up, don't yank the strings yet, try loosening them up as much as possible and then wiggling the pickguard out while they are loose. I've done that on strats before, so you might just be able to get away with it. Also, I can save you picture taking, just check this out:

Simply make sure you've got the white wire going to the lug that is sandwiched by those two plastic parts, and have the bare wire joined to the other one that looks like it's part of the jack sleeve. Don't mind the "before killswitch" bit obviously, I stole this picture from google, but it still applies.
Quote by Invader Jim
Look at the jack. See the lug that touches the ring around the center? That's the ground lug. The other one is hot.

Once again, Invader Jim beats me to the punch, even though he's on dial up and I'm not
Quote by Invader Jim
Look at the jack. See the lug that touches the ring around the center? That's the ground lug. The other one is hot.

Yupp, thanks Jim, I'll go praise you in your love thread now.

A simple mistake, like I always make.

She is hum free now, and lookin badass with bright shiny red strings. (That why I didn't want to break them, only red pair in the store.)

Anyway, I'm tuning it up and it sounds beautiful. Pics will be up in my 100GBP entry thread in a bit. '

Thanks a ton to everyone who helped.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo