Hi, I was recently looking into setting up a PA system because my amp speaker blew out and I need something louder over the drums. I have a few questions though.

1. What is the best setup? The one setup I looked at ran all the cables into a mixer then into two powered speakers, is that the best?

2. How can I get a decent tone if going into the mixer? When I plugged my guitar in, it was a clean channel, which I expected, but how would I get distortion, pedals, preamp kinda thing?

3. What is the right wattage, I'm looking at 150w or 300w, I need something for the basement, but that can also be used in small venues, like bars.

Thats all the questions I have now, sorry if some of them are noobish, I'm still learning about this stuff.
to answer #2, some amps can go into a P.A. So you plug into the amp, and the amp plugs into the P.A. or you could plug into a preamp and pedals then into the p.a.
Quote by ibanez87
to answer #2, some amps can go into a P.A. So you plug into the amp, and the amp plugs into the P.A. or you could plug into a preamp and pedals then into the p.a.

So, that won't really blow anything?
You're not gonna want to run your guitar straight into a mixer. You can look at my gear on my page and see what I use. You can Mic your amp with a microphone, then send that into the mixer, or you can buy an amp with a line-out, to run to the mixer. Or you could get an effects processor and run that into the mixer. Once you have the signal to your mixer though, you have 2 choices. Powered monitor speakers, or you could run the mixer into a power amp, and out to unpowered monitors.
Quote by teethdude
So, that won't really blow anything?

it shouldn't. I don't really know too much about. You don't have to turn up the volume on the amp too loud, just the volume knob on the PA.
Quote by ibanez87
it shouldn't. I don't really know too much about. You don't have to turn up the volume on the amp too loud, just the volume knob on the PA.

Ok thanks, that question was the biggest one. I think the idea of the setup I saw should be good enough, now I just need someone who uses this system a lot so I know what the wattage should be...I think 300w is pushing it a bit.